ID:194427

I'm back from our 2nd longest vacation ever (and we spent a week in Canada but didn't see Spuzzum there -- maybe he really lives somewhere else).

Much to read...

I have some relatives in Canada and they haven't heard of Spuzzum either. Surely an army of Spuzzum clones would be noticable in such a sparsely populated land. I am beginning to wonder if this is all a myth. He's just a guy living in a tiny New York flat. He and his 50 arms!

much to read ...

In a nutshell -- the assless cow problem has been fixed. (Did Tom upload the screenshot we took during our debugging session?)

Since 'Deadron' and 'Polaris' no longer exist except in old host name caches (they are now Dantom.Space.Deadron and Dantom.Host.Star.Polaris), you will want to change the world.Export() URL that you use in Dragonsnot to communicate with your central server. You could simply use Dantom.Space.Deadron/DragonSnotServer, but an even flashier solution would be to register an entry in the hub (Deadron.DragonSnot.Central) and set it's "login URL" to point to the actual address (say Dantom.Space.Deadron/DragonSnotServer) or whatever it is. The hub wizard does not have a category for that sort of thing yet, so you can just pretend it is a "game" entry and then in the final screen where you get all of the options, you can click "hide this entry" so it doesn't show up in the hub.

There is no great advantage of having a separate hub entry, so you can do it either way. I just thought I'd let you know that this was a possibility. With distributed networked applications, it is nice to be able to centralize the address pointers so you can move things around without impacting existing software. That was one reason for our recent restructuring of the URL namespace.

--Dan
In response to Dan
On 3/29/01 10:59 am Dan wrote:
In a nutshell -- the assless cow problem has been fixed. (Did Tom upload the screenshot we took during our debugging session?)

I will be excited to see (or not see...) this fix!

Since 'Deadron' and 'Polaris' no longer exist except in old host name caches (they are now Dantom.Space.Deadron and Dantom.Host.Star.Polaris), you will want to change the world.Export() URL that you use in Dragonsnot to communicate with your central server.

I may have missed a pointer to a write-up, but I'm kinda confused about all the new hub stuff from the scattered messages I've seen. Is there a page describing everything that would help me?

In response to Deadron
I may have missed a pointer to a write-up, but I'm kinda confused about all the new hub stuff from the scattered messages I've seen. Is there a page describing everything that would help me?

I think there's a fair amount of info in the release notes. Welcome back!