ID:194461

I was wondering... I have some money, I want to buy a game, but I can't really decide for myself. What commercial games out there does everyone like? I can afford one of the mega-corporate games, but if you really like a shareware game, I won't hesitate to check that one out, either.

I'm open to suggestions, both from a programmer's standpoint (i.e. potential BYOND game ideas) and from a player's standpoint (i.e. how dang fun it is =).

(Actually, I'm not rich, but I have enough money in my bank account to buy a new one, and I'm bored with the games I have right now. =)

Ideas?
On 2/27/01 10:45 pm Spuzzum wrote:
I was wondering... I have some money, I want to buy a game, but I can't really decide for myself. What commercial games out there does everyone like? I can afford one of the mega-corporate games, but if you really like a shareware game, I won't hesitate to check that one out, either.

If you'd like to play an intelligent RPG, try Deus Ex. The only bad thing about it is it's Yet Another Dreary Slightly Future World. But outside of that, a lot of fun.

My next likely game purchase is Europa Universalis, a Civilization-inspired game that is getting rave reviews (and actually started as a European game).

Ideas?

Try "The General". Its a freeware strategy/war/turn-based game. Its AI do not cheat and it is fun to play online too.
(Actually, I'm not rich, but I have enough money in my bank account to buy a new one, and I'm bored with the games I have right now. =)

Ideas?

I haven't played it, or even read any reviews of it, but I'm seriously considering getting this. Or you could get MS Flight Sim 2000.

You might also consider getting a few older games instead of one newer one! The adventure Blade Runner is very true in style to the movie, but I never finished it. Some other company had a highly-regarded adventure that I always wanted to try, where you play a dead guy in a kind of Tijuana-like setting, or something.

Oh, wait... I've got it! Don't bother with games at all. Get yourself the entire history of MAD Magazine on CD-ROM! Mmmmm.
In response to Deadron
If you'd like to play an intelligent RPG, try Deus Ex. The only bad thing about it is it's Yet Another Dreary Slightly Future World. But outside of that, a lot of fun.

My brother snapped the demo disc of Deus Ex by mistake, and I always wanted to try it, but never was able to.

I've heard good things about that too... maybe I'll look at that when I head down to Electronics Boutique this weekend.

My next likely game purchase is Europa Universalis, a Civilization-inspired game that is getting rave reviews (and actually started as a European game).

Never heard of it...
In response to sunzoner
On 2/28/01 2:21 am sunzoner wrote:
Ideas?

Try "The General". Its a freeware strategy/war/turn-based game. Its AI do not cheat and it is fun to play online too.

Will do!

Actually, on the subject of strategy games, I really encourage everyone to check out Simutrans. It's a really great sim-game, and I love it.

I found a Finnish random chat partner to discuss what I should buy, and it turns out, his homepage was set to that. I checked it out and almost had a... uh, conniption. Simutran's my current hobby right now. =)
In response to Guy T.
I haven't played it, or even read any reviews of it, but I'm seriously considering getting this.

Hrm, not really my cup of tea... if I ever managed a control tower, I'd certainly force every plane to crash on purpose, after all. =)

Or you could get MS Flight Sim 2000.

Is that bug-free? I would have gotten MFS98 but didn't because of the warnings "they" gave me.

You might also consider getting a few older games instead of one newer one!

Yes, that also crossed my mind. I'm the proud owner of several brand-new discount games, that didn't sell in stores but were never taken off the shelf. I got a copy of Fallout and Fallout 2 (in one box) for $19.99 Canadian. That's like $12.99 down there. I got Jagged Alliance 2 for $24.99, too.

I paid full price for Klingon Academy... but that one deserves that amount of money, even if it was technically falsely advertised, and that you have to be a Trekkie to truly appreciate it. Not that I'm a Trekkie... just a Sci-Fi-Junkie, actually.

The adventure Blade Runner is very true in style to the movie, but I never finished it.

Yeah, but I haven't seen the movie, either... maybe that's what I should do soon; rent the Alien, Aliens, Aliens 3 and Alien Resurrection series on DVD. And Blade Runner too, if I can ever find it.

Some other company had a highly-regarded adventure that I always wanted to try, where you play a dead guy in a kind of Tijuana-like setting, or something.

Beats me!

Oh, wait... I've got it! Don't bother with games at all. Get yourself the entire history of MAD Magazine on CD-ROM! Mmmmm.

Nah, I don't think I could handle that much satire. =)
In response to Spuzzum
On 2/28/01 10:25 pm Spuzzum wrote:
Will do!

Actually, on the subject of strategy games, I really encourage everyone to check out Simutrans. It's a really great sim-game, and I love it.

I found a Finnish random chat partner to discuss what I should buy, and it turns out, his homepage was set to that. I checked it out and almost had a... uh, conniption. Simutran's my current hobby right now. =)

I have seem the screen shot for the game. It looked like the "transport tycoon". You really should get the programmer to create an BYOND version of it. With the ability to compete with real players, it will be great. Though it will have problems concerning game-play.
In response to Guy T.
On 2/28/01 4:13 am Guy T. wrote:
Some other company had a highly-regarded adventure that I always wanted to try, where you play a dead guy in a kind of Tijuana-like setting, or something.

Grim Fandango?

I am not sure (hence the question mark). In fact I have no evidence whatsoever to go on. I just saw some screen shots from it that would not disprove it's the game you're thinking of. This is how I got through high school, by the way.

Z
In response to Zilal
Grim Fandango?

I am not sure (hence the question mark). In fact I have no evidence whatsoever to go on. I just saw some screen shots from it that would not disprove it's the game you're thinking of. This is how I got through high school, by the way.

Yes! That's the one. That's pretty much how I got through high school too...