ID:194466

A lot of people have problems figuring out what their compilation errors mean. Heck, even I do sometimes. I'm nearly done with the beginner's tutorial I spoke of; how about next I do a guide to BYOND errors? Compilation and runtime. I'll start looking at the various forums and remind myself which error messages exist.

Z
A lot of people have problems figuring out what their compilation errors mean. Heck, even I do sometimes. I'm nearly done with the beginner's tutorial I spoke of; how about next I do a guide to BYOND errors? Compilation and runtime. I'll start looking at the various forums and remind myself which error messages exist.

Great idea! Back in 1994--just before Internet access became widespread and I could look up this kind of thing online--I used a programming language called Clipper, and among its documentation set was a small book that did nothing but explain the various error codes you might get. It was invaluable.

<small>Heh... "invaluable." Now there's a word that could be misinterpreted by the unwary. Much like "the infamous El Guapo"...</small>
On 2/23/01 9:04 pm Zilal wrote:

No! I'm doing that...!
In response to Spuzzum
On 2/24/01 12:54 am Spuzzum wrote:
No! I'm doing that...!

Oh! Good!

Okay, so, next idea I had was that I should go put my laundry in the dryer. Was anybody else planning on doing that? Anybody? I don't want to put my laundry in the dryer if there's somebody else already doing it for me.

Z
In response to Zilal
On 2/24/01 10:20 am Zilal wrote:
On 2/24/01 12:54 am Spuzzum wrote:
No! I'm doing that...!

Oh! Good!

Don't let the fact that Spuzz is doing it deter you...if you get something done first he can add to your document or something.

(I'm looking out for Spuzz here, who recently said he only has time to work on one game and all that...)
In response to Deadron
Oh! Good!

Don't let the fact that Spuzz is doing it deter you...if you get something done first he can add to your document or something.

Mine is more of a reference on how to fix errors, and what the different types of errors are (that is, run-time, logic, and compile-time errors), and the sub-categories of those (math errors, improper 'if' clauses, invalid syntax, etc.). If you want to make a documentation of each error message, feel free... I misinterpreted.

(I'm looking out for Spuzz here, who recently said he only has time to work on one game and all that...)

Thanks! Once I get all caught up this weekend (I had a sinus infection and missed three days of school, a weekend, and another day of school), I should be fairly okay.

As for the working on one game thing, that's just a strategy to get my games finished. If I wanted to, I could continue working freely on everything, but my games are filled with more and more feature creep... hmm, I wonder where we've seen that before? Anyway, if I direct my attention towards completing one game, eventually that game will be finished. The fact that I'm working on but one game also encourages me to finish it so I can work on another.
In response to Spuzzum
On 2/24/01 12:11 pm Spuzzum wrote:
Oh! Good!

Don't let the fact that Spuzz is doing it deter you...

Well, he's letting me off my own hook, more like.

Mine is more of a reference on how to fix errors, and what the different types of errors are (that is, run-time, logic, and compile-time errors), and the sub-categories of those (math errors, improper 'if' clauses, invalid syntax, etc.). If you want to make a documentation of each error message, feel free... I misinterpreted.

I think I was aiming for a combination. I was going to list each error and tell what was likely the cause of it, and what could be done to fix it.

Bad proc! Baaaad proc! Down boy!

Z
In response to Zilal
I think I was aiming for a combination. I was going to list each error and tell what was likely the cause of it, and what could be done to fix it.

That'd be fine with me. I'm just doing types of errors, not specific errors. For example, I'm doing math errors as opposed to 'division-by-zero' errors. Or syntax errors as opposed to 'get_step: expected 2 arguments (found 1)' errors. That sort of thing.
In response to Guy T.
On 2/23/01 9:17 pm Guy T. wrote:

Great idea! Back in 1994--just before Internet access became widespread and I could look up this kind of thing online--I used a programming language called Clipper, and among its documentation set was a small book that did nothing but explain the various error codes you might get. It was invaluable.

<small>Heh... "invaluable." Now there's a word that could be misinterpreted by the unwary. Much like "the infamous El Guapo"...</small>

Don't forget "INFLAMMABLE"

This would be really useful if we also integrated it with the online help. If each error message had a unique id number, we could put a _more info_ link down in the short error message and the user could click that to pull up the expanded help page.

I suppose run-time errors could have a similar feature.

--Dan