ID:194476

Prompted by a posting in which Air Mapster said:

Well, DragonSnot looks pretty nice... ;-)

Thanks!

But rest assured it is by no means complete. What's there now is only the first level of maps. Each level has its own theme, and there will be three levels in the final game.

The DDT is currently working on the next level of maps, which have some fun new snot concepts in them. Also, the game will probably be slowed down significantly, to make it easier for newcomers.

When not doing that, we are developing a turn-based email game engine (that is, when it's your turn, you are prompted by an email -- but the actual game is a normal BYOND game), and three games to use that engine. One game is in progress, and two are on the drawing board.

It's an exciting time to go BYOND!
When not doing that, we are developing a turn-based email game engine (that is, when it's your turn, you are prompted by an email -- but the actual game is a normal BYOND game), and three games to use that engine. One game is in progress, and two are on the drawing board.

Wow! Byond can do that!?? How?
In response to sunzoner
On 2/13/01 5:16 am sunzoner wrote:

Wow! Byond can do that!?? How?

BYOND can make calls to the operating system. When running on a unix-based system, you can use the command-line to send mail.

The next version of the Deadron library will include a SendUnixMail() command to take care of this for you (including attachments if you want to send them).
On 2/13/01 12:08 am Deadron wrote:
Also, the game will probably be slowed down significantly, to make it easier for newcomers.

Have you thought about having different skill levels that the player can choose from for different speeds? Of course the other idea would be to have each level get progressively faster...

When not doing that, we are developing a turn-based email game engine (that is, when it's your turn, you are prompted by an email -- but the actual game is a normal BYOND game), and three games to use that engine.

That sounds great! Of course, I immediately thought of how it might be used in Una, but then that's more of a realtime game, so I don't think there's much need. Especially for the upcoming Speed Una variation. ;-) But I can imagine this would be great for games like chess where players may want to take their time thinking about the next move. Will the player be able to send his move back to the game via email, or is the system more for notifying the user that it's his turn?
In response to Air Mapster
On 2/13/01 11:42 am Air Mapster wrote:
Have you thought about having different skill levels that the player can choose from for different speeds? Of course the other idea would be to have each level get progressively faster...

The game actually gets faster now eventually...and that will always be part of it.

Gazoot hates the idea of going slower, so we'll probably put a skill level thing in too; starting at a higher skill level would gain you a bunch of points when you get to the town. Also that would help handicap it for multiplayer games.

When not doing that, we are developing a turn-based email game engine

Will the player be able to send his move back to the game via email, or is the system more for notifying the user that it's his turn?

It's for notifying players...the game emails you a .dms attachment, and opening that attachment jumps you into the game, ready for your turn to be played.
In response to Air Mapster
On 2/13/01 11:42 am Air Mapster wrote:

That sounds great! Of course, I immediately thought of how it might be used in Una, but then that's more of a realtime game, so I don't think there's much need. Especially for the upcoming Speed Una variation. ;-) But I can imagine this would be great for games like chess where players may want to take their time thinking about the next move. Will the player be able to send his move back to the game via email, or is the system more for notifying the user that it's his turn?

You might want to also read about the new section on hubfiles in the new release notes. It presents a different approach do doing non-real-time games. In fact, chess is the example we've been testing it with. We have to iron out a few kinks in the chess code before making it public though-- in our last game Dan when my castling move caused my king to disappear!
In response to admin
[admin == Tom I take it!]

On 2/13/01 3:14 pm admin wrote:
You might want to also read about the new section on hubfiles in the new release notes. It presents a different approach do doing non-real-time games. In fact, chess is the example we've been testing it with. We have to iron out a few kinks in the chess code before making it public though-- in our last game Dan when my castling move caused my king to disappear!

The DDT may well end up combining the turn-based approaches...I absolutely want customized email prompting (cause it also does things like say who hasn't joined yet, and let everyone know the status of the game, if someone won, etc), but that probably doesn't preclude also using the hubfile approach.

Don't know yet, though, cause I had too much other BYOND-related stuff to do last night to check it out!