ID:194479

Which game should I work on? (Thanks to Z for the poll.)

AntWorld: The Ant Wars (Comic/RTS)
APC (RTS)
Covert Assault Troopers (Action/MUD)
Cosmos Browser-Based Engine (Strategy)
Spuzzum's DM Page (website)
The Haven Seed (MUD)
Hunter (Strategy)
Warrior (Action/RPG/MUD)
Multiship (Classic)
Slurpy (Puzzle)
Monster! (Arcade)
Revolutionnaire (RTS)
Shock Bore (Action/Strategy)
StickWarz (Comic/Action)
BattleForce 2150 (RTS)
FaceHug: SpaceTug II (Action)
Minesweeper NEO (Action/Puzzle)
Spuzzbomb (Puzzle)

Note that some of the games that I'm actually not planning on continuing are in there. I'll give a description of each game on a webpage in a short while...

The decision is irrevocable. At the end of the month, all other games will be zipped up, locked away on a CD-R, and the local copies on my hard drive DELETED until I am totally finished the game that has been chosen. So choose wisely, because this will be the final straw... I'll continue to do whatever I feel throughout the month, trying to tie up some loose ends in the code.

But I won't multitask any more this year, because it is one of the most important educational semesters of my life, and it is hellishly difficult now. If I don't get good grades in these courses, I won't have much of a chance in the British Columbian Institute of Technology! (Which I might add is one of the finest tech universities from Seattle through to Anchorage.)

So that means, I'm totally clamping down on all nil-time, and working straight on one game, or my homework. Regardless of whatever I feel or anyone else feels... heck, I just have to get myself out of this mess before I never finish anything.

(And if there's a tie vote, the choice is up to me.)
I'm A) bumping this up, and B) putting descriptions of the games. So, here you go:

AntWorld: The Ant Wars (Comic/RTS)
- A unique realtime strategy game where ants, of all things, have discovered guns. And vehicles, and dozens of other high-tech things that humans use. And it satirizes the actual facts about ants.

APC (RTS)
- A world-scale future war that features protobots, robots that you program, arm, and then outfit, rather than humans. A large logistics and AI design focus makes this for the thinking type.

Covert Assault Troopers (Action/MUD)
- An action game featuring lots of realistic physics in addition to roleplaying character development elements as well as a, well, bitchin' arsenal.

Cosmos Browser-Based Engine (Strategy)
- This allows people to create their own web-based strategy games, powered by BYOND. It'll be open-source. It follows some basic elements of the browser-based game formerly called Forgotten World, now called Shadowmere. However, the code is designed to be highly-adaptible to just about any sort of empire-oriented turn-based strategy game. Yes, that means sci-fi, modern, fantasy (which it ships with), star empire, etc. Anything you're willing to do.

Spuzzum's DM Page (website)
- When finished, this'll be a source for tons of BYOND related info, including much-needed information for newbies, home-brewed tutorials, and the lowdown on the massive amounts of games I am (unfortunately) making.

The Haven Seed (MUD)
- This is a MUD with a fantasy element that is oriented towards realism. For example, dragons can breathe fire because their digestion process combusts their meal into ash, which is then broken down internally. Essentially, dragons puke fire. And so on...

Hunter (Strategy)
- This is a strategy game that features African-expedition hunters, where you have to trap animals and bring them back to civilisation. It focuses on making ends meet, rather than catching animals by the billions.

Warrior (Action/RPG/MUD)
- A space sim MUD where players fly fully-detailed starships on a personal scale. That is, you can physically walk down to engineering, take a look at the core, make it go critical, then go to the bridge and shut it down. Or you can watch a beam burn through a porthole when you're walking aimlessly on an external corridor, sucking you into space. You will be able to design your own starships tile-by-tile, making massive battlecruisers or small fighters. And you'll meet some pretty interesting aliens in a few years.

Multiship (Classic)
- Essentially, Battleship with a twist. Dozens of custom rules to choose from, like special weapons and equipment, different ships, real-time or turn-based mode, finite ammunition, purchasing of new ships, and a heck of a lot more.

Slurpy (Puzzle)
- Download the demo and see for yourself! [Slurpy Demo!]

Monster! (Arcade)
- Build yourself a monster from the ground up, and wage war on other monsters as you terrorise cities across the globe. It has a comic feel as well, but not as much.

Revolutionnaire (RTS)
- When you fight an enemy, you don't tear down their empire building by building. You annex it, building by building. This has a central theme on capturing territory and diplomacy, rather than what everyone normally does; blow up everything in sight.

Shock Bore (Action/Strategy)
- This is a tank game where you upgrade your ShockTank, a highly-adaptible piece of machinery, to carry hundreds of different weapons and gadgets, and then you go to war with your friends, or engage in the campaign war.

StickWarz (Comic/Action)
- This has a feel quite unlike most others; it's a platformer where you control, of all things, a stick man! Your goal; to erase all of the other stick men to the giant white-out in the sky. A few guns and a massive focus on a variety of technological security systems makes this a fun diversion from what you should be doing.

BattleForce 2150 (RTS)
- A realtime strategy game where you construct vehicles by taking a chassis, adding weapons and equipment, and taking over. For example, if you want to build a tank, you pick the tank chassis, add a main gun and a machine gun, then go run down some enemy soldiers. (Has an Earth 2150 feel to it, though this game was started before I had even heard of E2150... a strange coincidence.)

FaceHug: SpaceTug II (Action)
- Once Gughunter finishes SpaceTug 2001, you'll know what this game is based off of. It's essentially a very scary action game based off a very popular sci-fi film. Guy's is based on the first of the movie series. This is based on the second.

Minesweeper NEO (Action/Puzzle)
- Minesweeper with a bunch of guns, tanks, and powerups. Wow.

Spuzzbomb (Puzzle)
- I doubt most people know what Spuzzbomb is... they've probably logged in at one point or another, but couldn't make heads or tails of it. Basically Spuzzbomb is a strategy game where you have to make moves that blow up the black stones on the board, but avoid giving other players more black stones to blow up. It's a lot harder than it looks.
In response to Spuzzum
I've already voted! Can I vote again?

Z
In response to Zilal

Sure, just send me an email with which one you voted for before and which one you're voting for now, and all adjust the figures mentally when I review them at the end of the month.
In response to Spuzzum

Sure

Oh, good! I want to vote for Hunter now, so please increase its score when you tally the results. Thanks! :)
In response to Guy T.
On 2/16/01 3:53 am Guy T. wrote:

Sure

Oh, good! I want to vote for Hunter now, so please increase its score when you tally the results. Thanks! :)

Hey, I might be generous, but I'm not stupid. ;-)
In response to Spuzzum
Hey, I might be generous, but I'm not stupid. ;-)

Curses! Foiled again!

But I still think it'd be a shame not to finish it up soon, considering that you, I, and someone else--was it Theodis?--actually spent an enjoyable evening playing it a few months ago! :)