ID:194491

I've noticed that lots of you are spelling grey as 'grey'. The American spelling for that word is 'gray'. Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa!

It's a long, slow battle, but eventually I'll get Tom saying "my favourite BYOND game!". =)
On 1/17/01 1:51 pm Spuzzum wrote:
I've noticed that lots of you are spelling grey as 'grey'. The American spelling for that word is 'gray'.

So you think! In reality, we have two words for this color, thus proving that Americans are versatile.

Z
I've noticed that lots of you are spelling grey as 'grey'. The American spelling for that word is 'gray'. Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa!

You know, I always wondered about that. I tend to spell it differently depending on what I'm describing... I can't think of any other word I use that way.
In response to Zilal
On 1/17/01 2:08 pm Zilal wrote:
I've noticed that lots of you are spelling grey as 'grey'. The American spelling for that word is 'gray'.

So you think! In reality, we have two words for this color, thus proving that Americans are versatile.

Z

Indeed...in fact, a famous fantasy/science fiction author, Fritz Leiber, had a thief character named the Gray Mouser.

Since within the books he was half the time spelling it Grey and half the time Gray, he actually came up with a backstory to explain it...
In response to Deadron
On 1/17/01 3:47 pm Deadron wrote:
Indeed...in fact, a famous fantasy/science fiction
author, Fritz Leiber, had a thief character named the
Gray Mouser.

Since within the books he was half the time spelling it
Grey and half the time Gray, he actually came up with a
backstory to explain it...

I always wanted to read those books but have never had the opportunity. I should order them through Amazon -g-.

Microsoft Word US dictionary does not recognize the word "gray". Just a small drop of info for the discussion :).

- -
In response to Deadron
Since within the books he was half the time spelling it Grey and half the time Gray, he actually came up with a backstory to explain it...

(Oh, good, I get a chance to use my new vocabulary word!) That's a "retcon"... it means "retroactive continuity". I've been giving the subject some thought recently because I'm interested in how you could use the idea in a MUD setting. "Observer-Created Reality" is interesting too. But first I suppose I'd better get character creation done. :)

Heh... one of the neatest Christmas presents I ever got, many years ago, was TSR's Deities and Demigods featuring Fafhrd & the Gray Mouser, the Cthulhu Mythos, and the Melnibonean deities... all in gross violation of copyright! Since then I've read bits and pieces of the original works... I like Lovecraft the best, but all three universes are entertaining.

I guess I should stop babbling and start drawing the [classified] for DragonSnot.
In response to Guy T.
On 1/17/01 2:14 pm Guy T. wrote:
You know, I always wondered about that. I tend to spell it differently depending on what I'm describing... I can't think of any other word I use that way.

I do the same. "Grey" seems like a greyer word to me.

Z

It's a long, slow battle, but eventually I'll get Tom saying "my favourite BYOND game!". =)

your message dosent apply for some of us arnt american
In response to Fudd111
your message dosent apply for some of us arnt american

Um, yes, but that was directed at a certain group of individuals whom I know quite well, most of whom are indeed American.
Well, believe it or not..Canadian program too. ;-)
Besides Grey looks beter than Gray. *chuckles*