ID:194500

In responce to Spuzzum on the Pop-up bug.

I beg your pardon? Macs are about a thousand times more stable than Windows. I'd get one myself if there was anything to do on one. Problem is, everyone develops on either Linux or Windows, and little ol' Mac gets left behind. =)

I wish they were stable buddy but the one I work on at my work crashes an average or 20-50 times a day...it runs the lates OS and everything. I do almost the same stuff with windows and it rearly crashes (execpt with this Byond problem) and I don't even have the latest Version. Never in my life has any Mac I have been on every not had more problems then I want to deal with. Windows is so much more stable, the only thing more stable then windows is really Linux and DOS.
I beg your pardon? Macs are about a thousand times more stable than Windows. I'd get one myself if there was anything to do on one. Problem is, everyone develops on either Linux or Windows, and little ol' Mac gets left behind. =)

I wish they were stable buddy but the one I work on at my work crashes an average or 20-50 times a day...it runs the lates OS and everything. I do almost the same stuff with windows and it rearly crashes (execpt with this Byond problem) and I don't even have the latest Version. Never in my life has any Mac I have been on every not had more problems then I want to deal with. Windows is so much more stable, the only thing more stable then windows is really Linux and DOS.

Then that's a specific problem with that system. On the Macs I've been on at school and other places, my experience, browsing with Netscape, doing word-processing, and playing a couple games, has always been crash free and happy. My school had a pretty good system administrator, too, so they ran excellently. Also, Microsoft dominates the industry so much that Apple doesn't have much of a chance to advertise. I'm sure a lot more people would get Macs if they actually were publicized and there was more software.

I have to admit, though, I do dislike Macs. But that's mainly because they're too convoluted and that the amount of software for them leaves something to be desired. Besides which, Apple's sued just about everyone they could think of... which doesn't make them too impressive in my eyes. Other than that, though, I find them speedy and fun.
In response to Spuzzum
On 1/7/01 3:12 pm Spuzzum wrote:
I wish they were stable buddy but the one I work on at my work crashes an average or 20-50 times a day...it runs the lates OS and everything.

Most likely you have some kind of extension conflict, which is a weakness of the current MacOS (to be fixed with Mac OS X). I'd recommend starting without extensions and then adding them back one by one til you see which is the problem. A pain, to be sure.

Without such an extension conflict, Macs don't crash anymore than Windows. I use them all the time too.
In response to Spuzzum
Then that's a specific problem with that system. On the Macs I've been on at school and other places, my experience, browsing with Netscape, doing word-processing, and playing a couple games, has always been crash free and happy.

The macs you use at school are do no where near the amout of things my mac does, I need to run about 7 programs with my mac and be connected to the internet at the same time. Also I feel sorry for the users of Netscape. (blah)

My school had a pretty good system administrator, too, so they ran excellently. Also, Microsoft dominates the industry so much that Apple doesn't have much of a chance to advertise. I'm sure a lot more people would get Macs if they actually were publicized and there was more software.

I am sorry to say Apple spends more in advertising then Microsoft. And microsoft only dominates because the programs that are out there like Linux rearly advertise.

I have to admit, though, I do dislike Macs. But that's mainly because they're too convoluted and that the amount of software for them leaves something to be desired. Besides which, Apple's sued just about everyone they could think of... which doesn't make them too impressive in my eyes. Other than that, though, I find them speedy and fun.

They are only speedy if they are not multi-tasking. They are only fun when they don't break down all the time.
In response to Deadron
Most likely you have some kind of extension conflict, which is a weakness of the current MacOS (to be fixed with Mac OS X). I'd recommend starting without extensions and then adding them back one by one til you see which is the problem. A pain, to be sure.

I have already done that, there are no conflicts, I have done it many times. It is just because of MacOS.

Without such an extension conflict, Macs don't crash anymore than Windows. I use them all the time too.

Sure they do, you just are not using the amount of programs I need to use. (Windows can run all of the same programs I use and more without crashing)
In response to Galithan
On 1/7/01 6:18 pm Galithan wrote:

Sure they do, you just are not using the amount of programs I need to use.

An interesting assumption, but since I was just trying to help, and the discussion has devolved into making baseless (incorrect most likely) guesses about how I use a Mac, I'll stop here.