ID:194512

Okay okay I'm as guilty as anyone...we're not doing very helpful bug reports. And an unhelpful bug report means that Tom is left to do all the work even though he's not in the situation to really test the problem out.

Some stuff we should be doing:

Figure out where the problem seems to be occurring, and then create a little test game with just that code.

Comment out stuff until you narrow down where the bug must be happening for sure.

Post the test case or send it to Tom with complete instructions on how to trip the bug.

If you can't narrow down the problem, have absolutely no clue where it's happening, or have to leave in 2 minutes for a 2 week vacation and don't have a chance to do a better report, then post something with the clear understanding that it's just a data point and that you don't expect Tom to stay up til 4 a.m. trying to hunt it down.

My main crime is that, while I will usually post the code, I don't go through the process of commenting things out until I find the problem. Frequently this reveals the bug in my own code instead of BYOND...and if it does reveal a BYOND bug it makes it vastly simpler for Tom to figure out.

This should be your Christmas gift to Dantom!
Okay okay I'm as guilty as anyone...we're not doing very helpful bug reports. And an unhelpful bug report means that Tom is left to do all the work even though he's not in the situation to really test the problem out.

Feeling shamed, I went over my last month of posts in Bug Report, and here are the results!

Re: Icon display bug Guy T. (12/18/00 6:33 pm)
Deferred pending future occurrences.
An old bug Guy T. (12/7/00 6:29 pm)
OK.
Bad cid? Guy T. (12/7/00 5:51 am)
OK (I assume).
rgb() not in Reference Guy T. (12/4/00 8:43 pm)
OK.
Re: Bad list? Guy T. (12/4/00 7:40 pm)
Probably false--I think it was something I did.
view() too generous? Guy T. (12/4/00 7:35 pm)
OK.
Slow, slow tell Guy T. (12/3/00 6:06 pm)
OK.
The proc that doesn't know when to quit Guy T. (11/24/00 6:56 pm)
OK.
Midi and Reboot Guy T. (11/24/00 5:06 pm)
OK.

So, seven good reports, one bad, and one on hold. I'm improving! Merry Christmas, Dantom. :)