ID:194520

I see a Sixes banner in the top frame! Nice! Ooh... it's loading another one... it's... Sixes again! Exclamation point!

Sweet, guys. It gives the place a lively feel. Though I see the banner isn't the same size as the BYOND logo (Ooh! Lexiconomy!)... there's just enough space under the banner for a bit of text explaining that these aren't ads that will take you to some boring web site selling sprockets.

I have no idea if anyone else thinks it's necessary or even a good idea, but you could put something like "Now showing..." under it in little letters, which is, you know, cryptic, but less blatantly attention-grabbing than "CLICK HERE TO PLAY!!!"

But boy, it definitely helps with the impression that there are real actual ready-to-play BYOND games out there right now. I mean, I'm getting that impression, and I already knew it! The banners with the black background look especially nice. Though I keep thinking that thing on the SpaceTug banner is supposed to be the little thing that comes out of R2D2's head, and I don't think it's supposed to be.

Z
Hmm... I'm noticing that whatever banner is up there, it always says "Sixes!" at the bottom of my IE window. Perhaps the fact that Sixes was the first banner I got is significant.

Oh, nope, the Backgammon just came up and its name is properly showing at the bottom of my IE screen. Let's see what comes up next. Ah, DragonSnot came up (with errors on page!) and it says BYOND Backgammon down there when I move my mouse over the DragonSnot banner.

Z
Sweet, guys. It gives the place a lively feel.

Yeah, neat!

Though I see the banner isn't the same size as the BYOND logo (Ooh! Lexiconomy!)... there's just enough space under the banner for a bit of text explaining that these aren't ads that will take you to some boring web site selling sprockets.

I have no idea if anyone else thinks it's necessary or even a good idea, but you could put something like "Now showing..." under it in little letters, which is, you know, cryptic, but less blatantly attention-grabbing than "CLICK HERE TO PLAY!!!"

You're right--it couldn't hurt to have some subtle explanatory text. I've seen all these banners and my initial tendency was *still* to read "BYOND" and the game banner as a single graphic. BYOND: It brings a whole new meaning to 'smacking the hamster.'

But boy, it definitely helps with the impression that there are real actual ready-to-play BYOND games out there right now. I mean, I'm getting that impression, and I already knew it! The banners with the black background look especially nice. Though I keep thinking that thing on the SpaceTug banner is supposed to be the little thing that comes out of R2D2's head, and I don't think it's supposed to be.

Ha! It's supposed to be a spaceship. But it's actually a fairly well-known item, with some simple alterations!

In response to Guy T.
On 12/16/00 9:36 pm Guy T. wrote:

You're right--it couldn't hurt to have some subtle explanatory text. I've seen all these banners and my initial tendency was *still* to read "BYOND" and the game banner as a single graphic. BYOND: It brings a whole new meaning to 'smacking the hamster.'

Hah! That's funny, because I thought the same thing the first time the banner popped up on me too (Dan surprised us all!) We actually had a little "Featured site" text in the space below, but the alignment was a bit off so we got rid of it. I think you are both right though, so we'll size it up nicely and put it back in.
In response to Tom H.
On 12/16/00 9:48 pm Tom H. wrote:
On 12/16/00 9:36 pm Guy T. wrote:

Hah! That's funny, because I thought the same thing the first time the banner popped up on me too (Dan surprised us all!) We actually had a little "Featured site" text in the space below, but the alignment was a bit off so we got rid of it. I think you are both right though, so we'll size it up nicely and put it back in.

What do you think about the delay? It's currently set to 100 seconds (same as the BYOND in-game banner, I believe), with no banner showing at boot-up. Good?
In response to Tom H.
On 12/16/00 9:50 pm Tom H. wrote:
What do you think about the delay? It's currently set to 100 seconds (same as the BYOND in-game banner, I believe), with no banner showing at boot-up. Good?

It's funny... I was sitting here thinking... this is much faster than the banners in the DS! I like it!

Z