ID:194526

I was just wondering what kind of servers u are using and what do they have...(Proccesor Speed, RAM, Backbone, etc.)
On 12/11/00 8:05 pm Galithan wrote:
I was just wondering what kind of servers u are using and what do they have...(Proccesor Speed, RAM, Backbone, etc.)

Polaris is a 600 MHz PIII with 128MB of RAM on a backbone of 8 T3s. We can upgrade the the RAM and processor as necessary, but I think the network connectivity is the primary bottleneck. From my end, it has been performing quite suitably recently; we experienced some problems early on. Oftentimes the appearance of "lag" is actually a problem with an unnecessary loop in the code, either on our end or in the DM code written by the designer.
In response to Tom H.
On 12/11/00 8:53 pm Tom H. wrote:
On 12/11/00 8:05 pm Galithan wrote:

Polaris is a 600 MHz PIII with 128MB of RAM on a backbone of 8 T3s.

Holy crapola! Excepting the T3's, my computer is more powerful than Polaris! =)

You need to get an SGI Origin or something... 12 processors, 50 GB of RAM... now you're talking! And so what if it costs a couple hundred thousand dollars? =)

[edited] Hey, I was off. It's actually only 32 GB of RAM, but there's another four processors in it. 16x500MHz = 8 GHz + 32 GB of RAM. That's one fast little puppy.