ID:194552

My partner works in politics, so I'll be shanghaied (sp?) into watching election coverage tonight instead of being in the GoB.

If anyone does play, and if you play DragonSnot, let us know what you think of the scoring and changes to the piece probability on the advanced levels.
On 11/7/00 11:17 am Deadron wrote:
My partner works in politics, so I'll be shanghaied (sp?) into watching election coverage tonight instead of being in the GoB.

Yepparoonie, that's how you spell shanghai.

If anyone does play, and if you play DragonSnot, let us know what you think of the scoring and changes to the piece probability on the advanced levels.

Will do.

Speaking of which, Chretien decided to call a federal election up here, too... I presume to assure his position as Prime Minister by re-receiving everyone's votes to let him last another four year term, but I'm not quite sure... all the other parties are attacking him.
In response to Spuzzum
On 11/7/00 12:34 pm Spuzzum wrote:
Speaking of which, Chretien decided to call a federal election up here, too... I presume to assure his position as Prime Minister by re-receiving everyone's votes to let him last another four year term, but I'm not quite sure... all the other parties are attacking him.

He called an election because Trudeau died and so he could ride the nostalgia to re-election.

Given that the Parliamentary system is designed to allow the party in power to decide the time of the election, that's just how it works.

Interestingly, the party in power frequently calls an election at a time that they "can't lose" and then they proceed to lose.

I'm a supporter of Chretien, so I'm hoping he hasn't made a mistake!
In response to Deadron
I'm a supporter of Chretien, so I'm hoping he hasn't made a mistake!

That's what I'm hoping, too... he's a nice guy; his facial paralyzation due to his former stroke takes down a little charisma (and his accent makes some Americans think we ALL talk like that ;-) but he's no less an honest gentleman.

Man, I sure hope the Bloc de Quebecois don't win. I'd kill myself.

(Glad to know that at least SOME Americans pay attention to our politics. Even if you are one-half Canadian. =)
In response to Spuzzum
On 11/7/00 1:50 pm Spuzzum wrote:
(Glad to know that at least SOME Americans pay attention to our politics. Even if you are one-half Canadian. =)

My partner does work for the Liberal party so I can't help but pick up a few things!

My other hope: that Stockwell "I'm proud to be a homophobe" Day goes down in flames.
In response to Deadron
On 11/7/00 3:23 pm Deadron wrote:
My partner does work for the Liberal party so I can't help but pick up a few things!

There's an actual Liberal party?

I don't pay much attention to Canadian politics, I confess, but I don't pay much to US politics either. What I know is what I have managed to pick up during my day-to-day routine. Which happens to involve reading a lot of periodicals that include political coverage and talking to people who want to talk about it, I suppose. But, honest, I don't go out of my way!

I wonder if Canada is, in general, rooting for a particular canditate for the US presidency...? I find it hard to locate any coverage of how other countries view the political situation in the US. (Or other matters. It seems pathetic that I should just read for the first time recently that the majority of Europe sees the death penalty as barbaric and protests the US's use of it all the time, apparently. Or scary rather than pathetic. Not having known for so long that a large chunk of the world sees your country's practices as abhorrent.)

Z
In response to Zilal
On 11/7/00 5:30 pm Zilal wrote:
I wonder if Canada is, in general, rooting for a particular canditate for the US presidency...?

Spuzz could say better than me, but I'd guess a strong bias toward Gore.

Bush has made a number of gaffes about Canada, has never visited Canada (now that we know about his drunk driving arrest, that's probably why -- Canada doesn't allow drunk drivers into the country).

A comedy show from Canada asked Bush how he felt about the support of Canada's Prime Minister, and they made up a fictitious name for the Prime Minister (some running joke for their audience) and Bush didn't catch it, repeating the name and everything.

So I'd be pretty surprised if they supported him!

In general I think most of the rest of the world looks an at experienced and qualified candidate, and at some completely unqualified guy who has never done anything, and wonders how we could vote for anyone but Gore.

That is, those who are not freaked out by Gore's environmentalism, like the normally sane and thoughtful Economist, a British magazine.
In response to Deadron
In general I think most of the rest of the world looks an at experienced and qualified candidate, and at some completely unqualified guy who has never done anything, and wonders how we could vote for anyone but Gore.

It's interesting... I've noticed that much of the media coverage of the current campaign seems to focus on candidates' personal qualities at least as much as the their actual positions on the issues, and their ability to delegate work to the right people. And even a few weeks ago there were huge numbers of Americans showing up as "undecided" in the polls; it's rather chilling to realize that much of the electorate is voting by the same criteria it used in high school for choosing the Homecoming King.

Personally, I despise the Democratic and Republican parties alike. I'll make a BYOND game to open the nation's eyes... sometime after I finish Cribbage. :)
In response to Deadron
On 11/7/00 5:38 pm Deadron wrote:
On 11/7/00 5:30 pm Zilal wrote:
I wonder if Canada is, in general, rooting for a particular canditate for the US presidency...?

Spuzz could say better than me, but I'd guess a strong bias toward Gore.

Depends. I lot of people I know like Gore, but a few think he is a little more aggressive than Bush, making seem like a "meaner person".

Bush has made a number of gaffes about Canada, has never visited Canada (now that we know about his drunk driving arrest, that's probably why -- Canada doesn't allow drunk drivers into the country).

Though you do have a point with the inability to enter Canada... I'm STILL not sure why the fact that he did something wrong 26 years ago has any effect on his eligibility now.

A comedy show from Canada asked Bush how he felt about the support of Canada's Prime Minister, and they made up a fictitious name for the Prime Minister (some running joke for their audience) and Bush didn't catch it, repeating the name and everything.

There's two shows that do that: This Hour Has 22 Minutes and Royal Canadian Air Farce. I remember one such question distinctly, since it has relevance to one of the candidate's fathers:

"Who is the Prime Minister of Canada?" "Uh, George Bush?"

Another couple of my favourites were during the Bosnia-peacekeeping:

"So, do you think they should bomb Saskatchewan?" "Well, yeah. They should do whatever is necessary to win over there."

"Do you think they should assassinate Gilles Dusep?" "Is he one of those guys in Bosnia?" "Yes." "Oh, yeah, then, definitely."

So I'd be pretty surprised if they supported him!

Well, I don't care much for either, actually. =)

So Bush's career as Texas governor doesn't count as qualification? I agree with the part about "never done anything", but I don't see the relevance between that.

Heck, you should just do as we do and get a multiple-party system instead of Republicans vs. Democrats. =)

That is, those who are not freaked out by Gore's environmentalism, like the normally sane and thoughtful Economist, a British magazine.

I'm a little bit of an animal activist... does that count? =)

If you're wondering, yes, I'm supportive of Gore. Though his name sounds violent.
In response to Spuzzum
On 11/7/00 9:04 pm Spuzzum wrote:
So Bush's career as Texas governor doesn't count as qualification? I agree with the part about "never done anything", but I don't see the relevance between that.

Well as it happens Texas barely has a government. They meet for 4 months every 2 years and are proud of it. When Gore slammed Bush for Texas not passing some child welfare laws, Bush said "That's because the government hasn't met yet, because in Texas we believe in small government."

Uh huh.

And the governor of Texas has no power there to do anything much. That combined with the fact that Bush failed at everything he ever did on his own and only succeeded in things that his father and father's friends bank-rolled him in, means yeah he's never done anything.

In response to Deadron
Well as it happens Texas barely has a government. They meet for 4 months every 2 years and are proud of it. When Gore slammed Bush for Texas not passing some child welfare laws, Bush said "That's because the government hasn't met yet, because in Texas we believe in small government."

Uh huh.

And the governor of Texas has no power there to do anything much. That combined with the fact that Bush failed at everything he ever did on his own and only succeeded in things that his father and father's friends bank-rolled him in, means yeah he's never done anything.

I stand corrected. Though the Bush supporters might have a thing or two to say about Gore as well...
In response to Spuzzum
I stand corrected. Though the Bush supporters might have a thing or two to say about Gore as well...

Well, I'm amazed. Given a bit of research on my own part, I found a little tidbit of information. A World Series Baseball magazine asked Bush and Gore to reply on the subject of domed stadiums. Here was (in my own words) Gore's reply.

"Domed stadiums are a useful alternative to playing in an outdoor field. There are commonly two types... the first type is the type that is supported by steel girders. The second type is a fabricated teflon sheet supported by air pressure. By providing..."

And so on. He had a quite interesting technical approach, where he discussed the physics and costs and that of domed stadiums. Now, here's the interesting part. Now, read Bush's, taking into account that he had no knowledge that Gore had written as well:

"I like baseball outdoors. It's the American way!"

How quaint. And it turns out that Bush was winning last night... no offense to any of you, but I'd pity you if he got elected... good thing for that Florida re-count!
In response to Spuzzum
For the love of DUNG! If this Bush/Gore talk continues long enough, sooner or later I will be tricked into spilling all my electoral bile into a post that will see me Banned from the Forum forever!

Wait, that's just exactly what you want, isn't it? Ha, I'm on to you now! Very well, carry on. :)

In response to Guy T.
On 11/8/00 4:59 pm Guy T. wrote:
For the love of DUNG! If this Bush/Gore talk continues long enough, sooner or later I will be tricked into spilling all my electoral bile into a post that will see me Banned from the Forum forever!

I agree! I've never seen anything quite like this. And you just know that this is going to spill over into litigation when the recount returns.

Wait, that's just exactly what you want, isn't it? Ha, I'm on to you now! Very well, carry on. :)

No, it's the opposite of what I want! Seems we only have a small handful of active posters as of the last few weeks. We need more users! Recruit your friends, everyone!