ID:194579

Check out the latest incarnation of Destiny Online. Pop over to byond://dantom#jamesmurphy/DO2.dmb.
Not much to do at the moment though....

-James
Check out the latest incarnation of Destiny Online. Pop over to byond://dantom#jamesmurphy/DO2.dmb.

Looks great! Just yesterday I was wondering if that project had dropped off the face of the Earth. :) Glad to see it's moving along.

In response to Guy T.
Nifty Zelda graphics.

"You see the weaponsmith.

the weaponsmith is wearing:
Nothing."

Hehe!

-AbyssDragon
On 10/15/00 9:02 am jmurph wrote:

-James

Ah looks very interesting.

And a great archway effect where the character can walk under archways and such! What approach are you using to make this work?

The movement model is somewhat cumbersome -- it was caching my movements and I would end up way off where I wanted to be. I'm thinking about putting together some kind of "click to move" code snippet or library function for this sort of thing.

Lastly, after several minutes, when I had wandered to the far left of the map, DreamSeeker slowed down to a crawl and stopped responding. This may be the sort of infinite loop thing that Zilal was just dealing with.
In response to Deadron
On 10/15/00 12:18 pm Deadron wrote:
Lastly, after several minutes, when I had wandered to the far left of the map, DreamSeeker slowed down to a crawl and stopped responding. This may be the sort of infinite loop thing that Zilal was just dealing with.

That happened to me too, after I'd left the game alone for a couple minutes. And of course, my own problem was the first thing I thought of...

Z
In response to Deadron

And a great archway effect where the character can walk under archways and such! What approach are you using to make this work?

<code>
turf {
        var/layered
        var/disp

New()
                src.disp = image(src.layered,src)

Enter() {
                view() << src.disp
                return ..()
        }
}
</code>

The movement model is somewhat cumbersome -- it was caching my movements and I would end up way off where I wanted to be. I'm thinking about putting together some kind of "click to move" code snippet or library function for this sort of thing.

Yeah, it is kinda annoying how BYOND 'stacks' commands. I think it would be less laggy if the server didn't process anything it recieved during delay time (IE if tick_lag = 10, it ignores any commands from the same user if there are less than 10 between it and the last command.) Try double clicking on a location, though. You will walk there.

Eh? How gross. Sounds like an infinite loop somewhere. Hrm.....

-James
In response to AbyssDragon
On 10/15/00 11:25 am AbyssDragon wrote:
Nifty Zelda graphics.

Do you like it better than the rendered graphics I was using? Personally, I think this looks much 'cleaner' ....

-James
In response to Jmurph
On 10/15/00 2:01 pm jmurph wrote:
On 10/15/00 11:25 am AbyssDragon wrote:
Nifty Zelda graphics.

Do you like it better than the rendered graphics I was using? Personally, I think this looks much 'cleaner' ....

Not to sound rude or anything, but the other way seemed more 'original' to me. Clean is always good, though, I suppose.
In response to Jmurph
Oh, I liked your original graphics... but you must go with whatever you're comfortable doing.

Z
In response to Jmurph
On 10/15/00 2:00 pm jmurph wrote:

<code>
turf {var/layeredvar/dispNew()src.disp = image(src.layered,src)Enter() {view() << src.dispreturn ..()}}
Interesting...I'd venture a guess here that this might end up stacking copies of the image up ad infinitum...

By the way, Dantom -- when one of the arches using this command was one space out of my view as I walked toward it, I saw the icon "sliding" into place using the smooth movement.
More and more I'm a proponent of smooth movement only happening with the Move() command...
> Yeah, it is kinda annoying how BYOND 'stacks' commands. I think it would be less laggy if the server didn't process anything it recieved during delay time
Yeah it's most smooth if you bypass the BYOND caching of movement commands. Yet another reason for me to think of a way to generalize the movement code I've got.

> Try double clicking on a location, though. You will walk there.
Nice! Never would have thought of it though -- might want to consider a single click unless there is a gameplay problem with it. Finally, DANTOM, the forum is refusing to accept extra newlines!
On 10/15/00 9:02 am jmurph wrote:
Check out the latest incarnation of Destiny Online.

Wow! I just checked it out. The artwork is beautiful. I like the new graphics even better than the old ones, and I was a big fan of those.

Have you considered using movement-states for your walking motions? Right now it looks like the guys are always animating. If you made the current walking icons into movement-states they would only do that while in motion. Of course, the current definition of "in motion" is kind of lousy (the term "crippled gerbils" has been used), so you can make your own judgement.

This could really benefit from that feature Julio brought up a while back that would allow you to specify a move_lag so that guys would move continuously rather than stop-go-stop-go-... It would also improve the aforementioned movement state animations. Mainly, though, it would give the impression of a much quicker, smoother movement since everything would be continuous. Are you hard-coding in a movement delay right now, or is the speed just due to lag? (the easy way to tell: does it run at roughly the same speed online as it does locally?) I'd like to speed up some of these games; I'm hoping it is do-able.

Really nice work, though. We'll have to try this out in a GoB sometime in the near future!