ID:1946082

http://news.softpedia.com/news/ avg-proudly-announces-it-will-sell-your-browsing-history-to- online-advertisers-492146.shtml

The software is now openly admitting that they are collecting more information than they need to on your browsing habits so that they can sell that data to third parties.

Time to move on to something else, guys.
Yeah, it should be well known (but isn't...) that the free A/V's give off false positives and genuinely make using a computer more irritating than it should be (slow downs, etc).

I tried using Comodo for one of my PC's but eventually went back to ESET Smart security. It may cost, but it is the best and least intrusive. It also blocks the most during browsers (it will notify you of blocked IP address's in banner ads that may carry trojans or other malicious attachments). It doesn't give false positives (unless you consider game cracks/hacks false positives, I don't since they are suppose to be marked by A/V, can exempt them) and it doesn't slow down my computer.

All the other free A/V I've ever tried wasn't worth it in the least.

Of course it goes back to the old saying "There is nothing that is *free*" or "Any thing free comes at a cost".
I've gotten rid of my antivirus software in favor of strong ad-blocking and using my own skills to track and remove viruses if any actually do manage to get in. So far, I've had to remove a single "virus", which wasn't actually a virus, but rather an antivirus that made itself deliberately difficult to remove and piggybacked on something else I was installing because the checkbox was "Click to NOT install herpaderp". Bastards.

Also, utorrent installed a bitcoin miner on my machine without permission during an upgrade. Also bastards.
I no longer use Utorrent, their latest update broke the program for me and it is no longer user friendly.

I now use Tixati and it is awesome. Very nice torrent program, I recommend you check it out.

Yeah, gotta watch out for those check-boxes on installs, Java is the one I am most familiar with trying to push one of those awful A/V's that starts with an M (you know which ones I mean).

The reason I don't mind paying for ESET SS is because I run a webserver and I need a solid A/V and firewall.
I use Deluge. I don't really Torrent anything very often, though.

Recently, I had to start watching Naruto because I was doing a bunch of work with a paying client where I'd benefit if I knew what they were talking about. Unfortunately, the show was so hard for me to stand to watch because every episode starts about 3-5 minutes into the last episode, and every time they go to commercial, they back up about 60 seconds, and there's all this worthless filler material spread through every single episode.

So I just downloaded an abridged version of the series that cuts the total run time of each episode from about 19 minutes to around 7-12 minutes (That's about all the stuff that's in a 30 minute episode. For real.). It actually makes the series bearable.

I only torrent when a program that I use/content I want to view is so badly broken in its commercial form that I would otherwise refuse to pay the company that made it.

Adobe, I'm looking at you, you price-gouging pieces of shit. No consumer software suite in the history of ever is worth $2-$3K. I'm not gonna spend two-three months income supporting your inequitable bullshit. I bought the full suite once, and then you took my version out behind a shed and put a bullet in it. I gave you $2.5K and then never received any kind of a continued development cycle. Fuck you, I'll get my continued development cycle just fine, thank you.
In response to Ter13
Pop quiz

What's the difference between a ninjutsu and genjutsu
ninjutsu and genjutsu

Genjutsu is in the mind. Ninjutsu is a physical ability not to be confused with Taijutsu (martial arts).

Still hate Narto. But 7 minute episodes are easier to bear than seeing the same scene five minutes after I just watched it before the commercial break.

Just don't ask me about kachra.
In response to Doohl
That's crazy f**k AVG.

Dooh I demand you to change your profile picture back.. now.

off topic but had to be stated.
What are the alternatives exactly? Last time I tried to use one it was avast or something and it just didn't work.
In response to The Magic Man
Try Comodo Internet Security Suite Free.

There are also some other utilities like DNSCrypt and VPN software.
Avira, Baidu, and Bitdefender are popular these days. I can't speak for any of them, though.
Good thing I stopped using AVG ages ago, my computer was so sluggish with it running.

@The Magic Man: I'd recommend self-maintenance over any AV program. I haven't had anything outside of Windows Defender for the longest time and have yet to run into any issues.

If an AV program is what you want though, I can't help you there, as above states [I don't use them].
IMO, the browser is the biggest source of malware by far. Use Chrome or Firefox, get a good ad-blocker, uninstall Flash and Java completely, or just disable them when they aren't in use, and you should be fine.

I just don't like how every antivirus software in the world is massively bloated and makes booting take forever and consumes a ton of resources.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
I just don't like how every antivirus software in the world is massively bloated and makes booting take forever and consumes a ton of resources.

I have no issue with this. Even with AVG my computer can boot up in less than 5 seconds after hitting the power button. But I'll look into some of these other virus scanners.

Good bey AVG.
In response to Ter13
ESET SS isn't that bad, I'm telling you. Otherwise I wouldn't use it! :P
I've been doing the same thing Ter mentioned for years regarding browser practices and antiviruses. I'll just keep Windows Defender on for the hell of it and keep a anti-malware to scan with once in awhile too. I can't even remember the last time I got a virus. If anything, it was when I used my parent's house computer and didn't have my own -- which was years and years ago. It's not 100% effective, obviously, but it's pretty freaken effective.
Haven't had a problem with viruses since buying a lifetime membership with malwarebytes best program ever.
Any complaints for Avast? Been using them a very long time. Since I moved on from AVG.
I live in Israel, our language is Hebrew. During work they called me and said my application is bugged because all the Hebrew letters are reversed, to my knowledge that's a first, after few hours of debugging I found it it's because they installed AVG on that computer.

It literally messes with Hebrew in applications, it shocked me but oh well it's AVG.

If that's enough, we all know Steam and their anti cheat VAC which on their help page states that if you have AVG, VAC will shout at you so you should uninstall it. AVG is like the only anti virus that they don't recommend to add their services to exceptions but actually uninstall.

I'm personally using ESET Smart Security and I haven't had any problems, when I want to feel extra secure I run malwarebytes in safe mode. When my license expires in a year or so I'll probably just google AV reviews and get the most consistent top scoring one.

I figured by now everyone knows AVG isn't the most friendly neighbor out there.
It literally messes with Hebrew in applications, it shocked me but oh well it's AVG.

AVG antisemitism confirmed.

Literally Hitler.
Page: 1 2