ID:194622

So I've been obsessing over finding a game concept that I could actually get implemented with just a few days of work.

So this morning I wake up and I have tidbits swirling in my brain from:

Kill Dr. Lucky (excellent game from Cheapass Games)

The Matrix (really fun movie we watched on our new DVD player last night)

Diablo II

And walla...I THINK I have a game concept I can do in short order that will be a lot of fun. We shall see...
And walla...I THINK I have a game concept I can do in short order that will be a lot of fun. We shall see...

How's it coming along?

(My local comics-n-games store has a big selection of Cheapass Games products... I haven't bought any yet and I have no idea why, because they look like exactly the sort of thing that floats my boat and they cost a lot less than the other stuff I end up buying... well, I'm due for another visit.)
In response to Guy T.
On 8/16/00 8:02 pm Guy T. wrote:

How's it coming along?

Thanks for asking! I need some peer pressure to keep me on track.

I have some basic structure in place and a very simple version of the game. I am constantly clamping down on feature creep and hoping to have a single level playable in the near future.

Having some totally weird timing things right now...after the game finishes, I stop things for a while before the next game starts. And for some bizarre reason, suddenly everything happens at super-speed and the next game can be over in seconds, without you having done a thing.

I think it has something to do with events being queued up during sleep() or spawn() calls, but I'm really groping in the dark a bit.

I'm also working on the next release of the Deadron library, which I think will make certain features get much more use. For instance, instead of having to create a Calendar object to get a time string, there is a new dd_time() function that simply returns the current time/date as a string. I'm working on something similar for the PathGenerator -- if I can figure out a couple of things, you'll simply be able to call dd_step_towards() as often as you like, and you won't have to be aware of any of the mechanics going on to make the pathing happen.

And there's the new improved dd_step_rand() which lets you specify how random the movement should be. But damn, now I have to kill everyone who has read this message.

(My local comics-n-games store has a big selection of Cheapass Games products... I haven't bought any yet and I have no idea why

Some of the more fun Cheapass games I've played:

Kill Dr. Lucky
--------------
Their most famous game ever -- it's the prequel to Clue. As in, "why start the game after all the fun is over?" So you get to chase an old coot around the house trying to kill him.

Deadwood
--------
You are a really bad actor working for a really bad studio, and so you are clawing your way to the top of the heap by trying to get more money and fame from the movies you make than anyone else...

Make sure you get the expansions with this, because it's not as interesting without them. (And they only cost $1 a piece.)

Bitin' Off Hedz
---------------
Dinosaurs chasing each other around an island to see who can jump into the volcano first, and throwing rocks at each other. Wonderful map.
In response to Deadron
Having some totally weird timing things right now...after the game finishes, I stop things for a while before the next game starts. And for some bizarre reason, suddenly everything happens at super-speed and the next game can be over in seconds, without you having done a thing.

I think it has something to do with events being queued up during sleep() or spawn() calls, but I'm really groping in the dark a bit.

Hmm, this exact thing happened last night when I played Sheep on the Hub... it only happened once after I'd already played several games, and after that brief spasm it seemed to go back to normal.