ID:194626

Okay, I know I said I wasn't going to get Diablo II, and I swear I didn't... my friends got it for me for my birthday, despite the fact that my computer's specs are below the system requirements... and I beat it a couple weeks ago. It's been great fun, even with the slow-mo performance. Anyone else tried it?

Z
On 8/6/00 12:07 pm Zilal wrote:
Okay, I know I said I wasn't going to get Diablo II, and I swear I didn't... my friends got it for me for my birthday, despite the fact that my computer's specs are below the system requirements... and I beat it a couple weeks ago. It's been great fun, even with the slow-mo performance. Anyone else tried it?

Z

Yes I got it because my EverQuest group was playing a lot and we could play together. I wouldn't have gotten it otherwise.

But I'm glad I did -- it gave me some ideas for my own game system. For one, I immediately put in two new movement modes, so you could click to move to a spot (making me very happy to have done the PathGenerator class way back when), and so if you start running in a direction, you keep running until you stop. Diablo doesn't have the second, but it should.

I have been playing a Necro, which they did quite well. Lots of kinds of pets and lots to do with them. And it's nice how you can follow whatever spell path you want, meaning you can end up with a Necro who has very different skills from another Necro.

But in the end, aside from playing with friends, it doesn't totally draw me. Like EverQuest, it's just about the different ways to kill groups of bad guys, but it doesn't yet have as many features to make doing so within groups be totally enjoyable.

On 8/6/00 12:07 pm Zilal wrote:

Z

Yeah I got it the day it came out cause me and my friend had great fun playing Diablo 1 co-op. I also had my crappy laptop and triied to play and trust me it gets horrendous once oyu get to Act 3 with a slow comp. Luckily I got a good computer a few days ago and now it's even better when I'm not looking at a picture slide :). I think its the best though over a LAN when you can communicate easily with the other players since if you rush through like me and my friend did it helps to plan out attacks on large groups of tough monsters.

Well since a few other people here have it anyone wanna try and set up a game of this while I haven't got sick of it yet :)?

Theodis([email protected])
In response to Theodis
On 8/9/00 12:44 am Theodis wrote:
Well since a few other people here have it anyone wanna try and set up a game of this while I haven't got sick of it yet :)?

I'd love to... my current computer gives me multiplayer at a frame rate of about 20 per minute, but soon my mother may be getting a new computer and I can hop over and use hers.

Z
Since everyone has been raving about Diablo 2, I went out and got it. Just spent the last week playing it non stop -g-. I wouldn't mind a multi-player game some time if some times could be arranged.

I'm generally good for anytime Friday or Saterday, or after 2am EST the other days.

Of course, I played it for about twelve hours before I just had to get the hacks. Nothing like having an edge when playing an amazon with a bow -g-. Nothing outrageous, just bumped experience for the levels and some decent equipment.

- -
In response to Zilal
On 8/13/00 11:27 am Zilal wrote:
On 8/9/00 12:44 am Theodis wrote:

I'd love to... my current computer gives me multiplayer at a frame rate of about 20 per minute, but soon my mother may be getting a new computer and I can hop over and use hers.

Z

heh On my 333mhz 32MBs of RAM computer 90% of the time I was running at 0fps with over 50 skip :). Now I run full frame rate with no problem on my 550mhz 192MB RAM comp :).

Oh and if you type FPS as a message in Diablo II it displays your FPS, Skip, Ping, and some other info I have yet to figure out what it means. And if you run D2 with the parameter -w you can play in windowed mode.
In response to Gabriel
Of course, I played it for about twelve hours before I just had to get the hacks. Nothing like having an edge when playing an amazon with a bow -g-. Nothing outrageous, just bumped experience for the levels and some decent equipment.

- -

heh I made a bunch of VB EXEs for doing things like reseting the Imbue flag for Charsi so I can imbue everything I want. And I've hacked the save file and for some reason Blizzard coded each variable to be a unsigned long so you can get up to 2 billion on strength(or any other stat) but after around a few million points of strength get added it wraps the value around to negative values for damage and attack rating.

Well despite doing all this hacking I'm usually playing my characters I haven't modified. It seems to be no fun with a level 99 paladin and 65000 stat points to add and haveing all my skills at level 20, since most the monsters die before I even see them in act I.
In response to Theodis
heh I made a bunch of VB EXEs for doing things like reseting the Imbue flag for Charsi so I can imbue everything I want. And I've hacked the save file and for some reason Blizzard coded each variable to be a unsigned long so you can get up to 2 billion on strength(or any other stat) but after around a few million points of strength get added it wraps the value around to negative values for damage and attack rating.

Uh, that's just weird. You can get 256 from a char, 65536 from a short, and 4294967296 from a long. If it wraps around at a million... just what kind of var is it?!