ID:1946305

(See the best response by Ter13.)
Wellp, I learned and can actually code only at DM, been here for years but never actually thought about it... I only ended up doing and coding games, but this weekend a friend asked me to help him at making a program for his engineering class, but meh, I know almost nothing about the "commercial" languages, to make "commercial" programs, but I started to think "Why don't I try to make something at DM?"
commercial programs looks simple to do when we compare it to a game. If its fine to make a game here, is it feasible to make something more commercial? Maybe an online program that controls the inventory of a shop, looks so simple to do in byond, do I really need to learn another coding language to try something like that?
If its ttly feasible using a gaming engine, why no one ever tried? if someone did, tell me how bad/good it worked?
Should I try helping this friend? or should I just say "Sorry, but I am a gaming kiddo"
Best response
I'm not going to say that BYOND can't do it, but you are far better off using other technologies that are better suited to this kind of thing.

BYOND has no business being the backbone for a website or an online market, or a database manager. It's just poorly suited for that.

It's good at server-driven games and that's really it.
So BYOND's web-client wouldn't be suitable for web based applications?
In response to Lavenblade
Lavenblade wrote:
So BYOND's web-client wouldn't be suitable for web based applications?

I couldn't even begin to speculate what you are asking.
After giving it some thought:

YCBWWY?
In response to Ter13
Sorry, I suppose I asked the wrong question. What limitations would BYOND have when trying to create commercial applications?

Also, what is YCBWWY? Lol.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should. You could, but why would you?
What limitations would BYOND have when trying to create commercial applications?

This is a non-question. I have literally no information to go on here. Give me a specific example of a non-game application you'd want to make with BYOND, and I can explain the limitations you'd face.

As for YCBWWY:

You
Could,
But
Why
Would
You?
Well, looks like my friend want a program that uploads a scanned img file, and store that image somewhere, plus saves data of some values into accounts, organize it all and keep it hosted in a server for other workers on that project to access/edit/deal with those informations, a closed server of course that only ppl with password/ (aka some byond keys) could access. But at the end would be just alot of dealing with simple datas. (At the end it would need to download all the uploaded images and files to analyze the overall)
Something like that... Doesnt look hard to do
Sure, BYOND could probably do it, But it could probably be done more reliably using some simple PHP with an SQL database for the backend and HTML5+JS for the front-end.

Or for that matter, they could just use a shared Access DB for the client records and a networked share folder to store their scanned documents.

If you are going to make an application for someone's business, you probably don't want them to be installing BYOND on their work computers. You aren't going to make any business contacts that way.

BYOND can only serve to get in the way in this endeavor.
I never tried anything beside DM :(
Looks like learning it all will take a loong time :S
TIL BYOND is shit and not worth programming in unless for kiddy projects.

-Hops on silkwizard's game- lolololololol
TIL BYOND is shit and not worth programming in unless for kiddy projects.

GTFO
Developer Help, Kozuma.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Developer Help, Kozuma.

In all seriousness it went with the topic, BYOND can be used for commercial programs but telling people "YCBWWY" or "Just because you can doesn't mean you should. You could, but why would you?" doesn't seem to give the engine any credit what so ever.

If you're going to make the engine seem like shit, I'll treat it like shit.
You need to get some perspective, Kozuma, and you need to understand what we're talking about. We're talking about web infrastructure applications. Databasing, remote storage, actual enterprise architecture.

BYOND is just not equipped as an engine to serve as the backbone of that kind of thing.

I've been one of the longstanding champions of the idea that BYOND is far and away more capable than people give it credit. I remember not too long ago, you were the one tearing the engine to shreds online. Get some perspective, seriously.

If you are just here to stir the pot and not contribute to the topic at all, you shouldn't be in developer help period, Kozuma. This is a front-facing forum and we do our best to make sure every single thread in this forum doesn't get shit up. The rest of the forums are your stomping grounds, just not this one.

Trying to pretend that my acknowledging that DM is ill-suited to the task of being the backbone to a web service like OP is describing is in any way tearing the engine down is just straight up ignorant. DM is designed to make games and function as a limited telnet/irc client, not be the core of a modern web service. DMCGI was basically deprecated out of the engine.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
[ego aside + tl;dr]

The topic is about developing commercial applications in DM, it's possible- maybe not for all, but it is possible.
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:
The topic is about developing commercial applications in DM, it's possible- maybe not for all, but it is possible.

Is it feasible? Comercial programs at DM
Should I try helping this friend?

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

No one's debating whether or not it's possible, but to answer the title of the topic: no, it's not feasible.
You do know what feasible means, right?