ID:194635

As I'm working more with HTML again (expecially with the FAQ) I need to get a spell checking text editor that can handle HTML, and which, of course, is free.

I've been browsing around but the only ones that looked good are restricted Shareware.

Anyone have experience with an HTML text editor that they like and can do spell check and is also free?

- -
How about MS Word?
The newer versions act as HTML editors I believe.

-James(who uses Notepad as his HTML editor)

On 7/23/00 5:31 pm Gabriel wrote:
As I'm working more with HTML again (expecially with the FAQ) I need to get a spell checking text editor that can handle HTML, and which, of course, is free.

I've been browsing around but the only ones that looked good are restricted Shareware.

Anyone have experience with an HTML text editor that they like and can do spell check and is also free?

- -
In response to Jmurph
How about MS Word?
The newer versions act as HTML editors I believe.

That's right. Actually, I *think* you can just create a normal Word document and then save it as HTML. I have to admit, Microsoft has done a few good things.

I, too, like to use a simple text editor for HTML (htmlgoodies.com can teach you the ins and outs of HTML tags, which are small potatoes compared to learning DM)... but by doing that, I sacrifice the spell-checking. I use Editpad, which is "postcardware." I have the postcard purchased and addressed, but I keep postponing mailing it because the guy is in Europe and I think I'll need a special stamp...
I can't seem to find one that is a text editor, can handle HTML tags, will spell check, and is free.

I've decided my next project is to create one using BYOND.

I figure it should run something like this:
1. User inputs filename
2. BYOND reads filename and created a table, ignoring anything between an < > symbol.
3. BYOND creates a second table based on the dictionary files
4. Checks the first item in the table, searches for it in the second table, and if it finds it goes to the next item.

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to add a list of alternatives, but can probably do an association computation. If it can't find a word, it changes the most likely letters and runs another check (m for n, l for s, etc).

Anyone have ideas on this?

In response to Gabriel
I can't seem to find one that is a text editor, can handle HTML tags, will spell check, and is free.

How 'bout this? Link to Arachnophilia I've seen a lot of good reviews for it, it's free (well, actually, CareWare, which is a good deal if you can handle it, which I expect you can), and has a 120,000-word spell checker.

[snip]
Anyone have ideas on this?

Well, Arachnophilia sounds like it will handle what you need, but if you were to create an HTML parser in BYOND, I'd warn you about the possibility of slow response when cutting up strings.

BYOND stores every string once and only once in memory, so you can refer to it with a single reference. For example, when your code says "usr << descriptions["Bob"]", BYOND will compile it and see it as something like "22 << 11[57]". This is great for fast retrieval, but can be a hindrance to string manipulation, since every time you create a new string, BYOND has to check to see if an exact duplicate already exists in memory. I actually wrote a little program a while back to do tag parsing (for a single tag type) and it worked... but it took quite a while when reading a large text file.
In response to Guy T.
On 7/24/00 6:22 pm Guy T. wrote:

Well, Arachnophilia sounds like it will handle what you need, but if you were to create an HTML parser in BYOND, I'd warn you about the possibility of slow response when cutting up strings.

I've got to agree here. BYOND string parsing is really quite slow. Eventually I think the plan is to have a separate type or function to manage this aspect gracefully (Guy T. suggested a String class a while back). I mainly want it so that we can do fast file parsing for things such as runtime .dmp map loading (via DM libraries).

In response to Guy T.
I use Editpad, which is "postcardware." I have the postcard purchased and addressed, but I keep postponing mailing it because the guy is in Europe and I think I'll need a special stamp...

I've been using EditPad for about a year now and haven't registered it, or even really thought about it. I'm an evil person, I know :-)

I'm fairly certain you can mail to Europe just by using two stamps instead of one.

-AbyssDragon