ID:194636

I might be the only SE fan here... well, who cares? SE4 is out! =)

In my honest opinion, this is going to be as good as, if not better than, Master of Orion 2.

Malfador Machinations
On 7/22/00 6:20 pm Spuzzum wrote:
In my honest opinion, this is going to be as good as, if
not better than, Master of Orion 2.

I didn't care as much for Master of Orion 2 as for the first one. And I thought Pax Imperia II blew them both out of the virtual water. Never heard of Space Empires, I'll have to check it out.
In response to Gabriel
I didn't care as much for Master of Orion 2 as for the first one. And I thought Pax Imperia II blew them both out of the virtual water. Never heard of Space Empires, I'll have to check it out.

Space Empires II was the kind of software that you would put on your shelf and forget about. Space Empires III was better, but it still had the corny windows interface, which made many say it was a "spreadsheet in space". The fourth, though, looks like it is worth people's time. If it doesn't hit it big time, it'll still be a fairly good game. The focus is more on diplomacy and management than it is on combat (which means its a good game for roleplayers like myself ;-).

(Space Empires I was home-grown by the developers and never released to the public, except on their Space Empires III CD which has a bunch of goodies on it.)

I have to try Pax Imperia II... you're the tenth person who's said its good that I know of... (designers and internet sites don't count... I'm talking about actual typed or spoken conversation).

In response to Gabriel
On 7/22/00 6:40 pm Gabriel wrote:
In my honest opinion, this is going to be as good as, if
not better than, Master of Orion 2.

I haven't played MOO 2 much, but it was a game I got obsessed with for a few days during a bad period in my life, and I have fond memories of those games and some of the little surprises that would pop up.

Anyway, I just downloaded Space Empires -- gonna see if it will run on my PowerBook on Virtual PC while my Intel machine is busy running EverQuest...

In my honest opinion, this is going to be as good as, if not better than, Master of Orion 2.

Malfador Machinations

I've only played through a bit of the tutorial so far, but I'm very impressed with the overall look and feel of the game. They have a great graphic sense.

This looks much easier to interact with than the promising-but-failed Alpha Centauri, which had some similar concepts but an impossibly muddy interface.

Malfador Machinations

Malfador Machinations
Oops. Posted a blank message. Oh well. Just wanted to
say that SE4 looks really cool. However, I read the FAQ and it doesn't look like it
well have net play which is one of the things that made MOO2 cool.
In response to Manifacae
Oops. Posted a blank message. Oh well. Just wanted to say that SE4 looks really cool. However, I read the FAQ and it doesn't look like it well have net play which is one of the things that made MOO2 cool.

It has turn-based (1st player gives orders, 1st player moves, 2nd player gives orders, 2nd player moves, etc.) or simultaneous (all players give orders, then all players move at once afterwards) PBEM play. Don't know where you read that it doesn't have net play... it functions quite similarly to most of the space civilization games. Last I checked the saved games are about 300K each... I might be wrong, though.

The thing I like most about the Space Empires games is that they're all really customizable and the galaxies are random. I would've liked a map editor, though.

BTW, you can delete your messages on this forum (there's a button on the bottom). It doesn't give a confirmation message, though (a good idea for a feature, because I've accidentally deleted two messages so far when I was about to make an addendum (stupid modem was too fast for me to stop it too =P)).
In response to Spuzzum
On 7/23/00 10:58 pm Spuzzum wrote:
Oops. Posted a blank message. Oh well. Just wanted to say that SE4 looks really cool. However, I read the FAQ and it doesn't look like it well have net play which is one of the things that made MOO2 cool.

It has turn-based (1st player gives orders, 1st player moves, 2nd player gives orders, 2nd player moves, etc.) or simultaneous (all players give orders, then all players move at once afterwards) PBEM play. Don't know where you read that it doesn't have net play...

I believe Manifacae means simultaneous online play, which would be nice. Usually for a game like this you would do the simultaneous turn style while connected to each other. Often the best way to handle very long games like this is to spend two or three hours playing it at the same time, getting 20 or more moves out of the way, then go to PBEM having saved yourself about 2 months of PBEM play to get to that point.