ID:194646

...Problem is, I don't know how to make the Rich Text Formatted files for it (yes, I do know what an RTF file is... that's not my problem.)

I opened an RTF file from a beta of a game I was testing (called Fleet II, if anyone cares), and the text to change sections looked like:

MOREMORE NEXTNEXT

I have everything I really need to compile help files (I obtained a copy of VC++ a few days ago), but whenever the help-file compiler asks me for an RTF, I have no idea what to give it.

Does anyone know the way to create the RTF files that can be compiled into help files?

(This is probably a question aimed fairly closely at programmers... *looks at Guy T. and Dantom in hopes one of them knows*.)
On 7/10/00 2:04 am Spuzzum wrote:

Does anyone know the way to create the RTF files that can be compiled into help files?

I'm not going to be able to "help" (haha) you here, as I never bothered to learn the windoze-style for help files. I'll bet it's all documented in the reference CD that comes with Visual C++, if you've got that.
In response to Tom H.
On 7/10/00 2:19 am Tom H. wrote:
On 7/10/00 2:04 am Spuzzum wrote:

I'm not going to be able to "help" (haha) you here, as I never bothered to learn the windoze-style for help files. I'll bet it's all documented in the reference CD that comes with Visual C++, if you've got that.

It's a pretty major deal to try and make Windows Help files. There are expensive tools, books, seminars... All pretty silly if you ask me.

My employer makes a help system, and recently a customer said "I need to port my Windows Help to your system. You use simple HTML, but Windows does all this complicated stuff to my files and they don't display properly on your system. Could you please do something to make this work?"

Uh, ok, let's make our approach all complicated so it will be as complicated as Windows...
(This is probably a question aimed fairly closely at programmers... *looks at Guy T. and Dantom in hopes one of them knows*.)

Never worked with it, but Softseek.com gave me this link:

HTML Help compiler

I visited the page briefly and as far as I can tell, it looks like just what you need.

You might consider using plain vanilla HTML too, as Deadron noted... one less (or is it fewer?) obstacle for Linux users to overcome.

Good luck!
Well, I pretty much figured out this one on a site on the internet, before realizing it WAS fully documented on the VC++ cd... well, at least I can be considered resourceful, if not observant... =)

Basically, you have to make your RTF files in a vanilla ASCII text editor. That means a whole new file format to learn, which is fun sometimes, but way beyond (BYOND?) anything I want to implement into Hunter. Not to mention there's about 5 hours of documentation, and I can't print out the darned reference to read it the old fashioned way.

Plain HTML it is (as it has been as well).
I think the html route is best for Byond (I'm a big fan of Linux), but if you are interested you can get an excellent help compiler from

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PeterBalch/ PRB00017.htm

It's easy to use and self contained. I haven't used it for a while, but the site is still there. If you don't want to pay for the registered version, it's still very good and you can recover the missing functions by using the {literal} help macro. (You'll see what I mean if you try it).