ID:194654

I decided to take a brief overview of the language and look at it in comparison to a couple of the game creation tools I've used recently.

From a strategic standpoint as a game creation utility, BYOND has a significant advantage. However, there are some areas where people might not be too clear;

MOBS VS ACTORS:
Some (okay, a lot) of game makers out there use the term "actor" for a player or an NPC body. Mobs, in a sense, could also mean "crowds". But "M(obile)Ob(ject)" is a lot more descriptive than "Actor"... after all, an actor means a person and only a person in the dictionary.

PROCS VS FUNCTIONS:
Here's the most probable nasty one. If you've had no programming experience, "function" is a lot more understandable than is "proc(edure)". But if you HAVE had programming experience, then proc makes the most sense in the world. Depends on the crowd you're appealing to, I guess. (Non-newbie view: I'm so used to proc now, if you changed it, I'd be totally lost, though)

VERBS VS ACTIONS:
A few games use "actions" as a reference to the variety of abilities you may perform. However, verbs is fairly understandable as well (albeit a bit harder to roll off the tongue). Then again, "actions panel" doesn't sound as clean as "verbs panel". Same with "type in an action" instead of "type in a verb".

TURFS VS TILES:
This is one of the worst. Just about everything I've played has called separate locations tiles. "Turfs", in a way, doesn't describe tiles, but rather terrain types. One way, that makes sense; another way, it gets confusing to someone who's used to the other tools.

So, just thought I'd let everyone know where I think the conflicts lie, and where you might have to reinforce the documentation a little.