ID:194688

Tom, you didn't make it so just you and me can post, did you? I always knew you were a sneaky one.

Z
On 4/8/00 10:15 pm Zilal wrote:
Tom, you didn't make it so just you and me can post, did you? I always knew you were a sneaky one.
Oops. I'll take that restriction off now :)

Seriously, where did everyone go? I think that ever since I took down the hub there has been a lot less activity here. I was hoping to put it up today, but I was busy, so definitely tommorow.

Maybe we should advertise a tad to attract new attention. Perhaps after I put the demos page up...
In response to Tom H.
On 4/8/00 11:45 pm Tom H. wrote:
On 4/8/00 10:15 pm Zilal wrote:
Oops. I'll take that restriction off now :)

Seriously, where did everyone go? I think that ever since I took down the hub there has been a lot less activity here. I was hoping to put it up today, but I was busy, so definitely tommorow.

Maybe we should advertise a tad to attract new attention. Perhaps after I put the demos page up...
The reason I haven't been posting is because I'm really close to getting a good version of DBO running. That's my story and I'm sticking to it =)
In response to Tom H.
My GS3 site gets 100 hits a week from people who love RPGs... I would have advertised BYOND on it long ago, but I was afraid people would come to your boards, see I was working on a game, flood into my game (and more than 10 people would be a flood at this point), then cause a ruckus before they got bored with the slow pace of development and left forever. I'm probably overestimating my own importance again, but I didn't want to risk it.

Once Cerulea reaches open beta, though, I intend to make sure everyone on both my sites knows about BYOND.

Z
In response to Zilal
On 4/9/00 12:33 pm Zilal wrote:
My GS3 site gets 100 hits a week from people who love RPGs... I would have advertised BYOND on it long ago, but I was afraid people would come to your boards, see I was working on a game, flood into my game (and more than 10 people would be a flood at this point), then cause a ruckus before they got bored with the slow pace of development and left forever.

This has been pretty much our strategy too. We have only advertised one time about a year ago, and got a pretty quick response, but because the system was quite incomplete I think a lot of people got frustrated quickly. Once the system gets stable enough that the bugs are only coming in, say, weekly rather than daily (or hourly :), then I will try to attract a bit more of an audience. And any help we can get from you or anyone else using the system would be great.

I'm probably overestimating my own importance again

I doubt that. I think your mud will be quite successful once it gets out into the open, and the only problem will be managing the hordes of people coming in! Considering that you already have connections via GS3, it shouldn't be too tricky getting people try it out. At least that's the hope. I'm hardly a marketing genius.
In response to Tom H.
I doubt that. I think your mud will be quite successful once it gets out into the open, and the only problem will be managing the hordes of people coming in! Considering that you already have connections via GS3, it shouldn't be too tricky getting people try it out. At least that's the hope. I'm hardly a marketing genius.

Last time I checked, a few of the active members of her Cerulea forums are GS3 members... =)

I would sign up for GS3 (I love sim-type roleplaying), but I don't want to pay that tiny fee. Heck, I check to see if my wallet is still in my pocket every couple of minutes, even if I haven't been moving for hours, in a fairly non-public place. I'm one of the youngest misers out there =).

Getting away from that, I'm going to try to find some place to advertise at one point or another for my games. LinkExchange seems like the best opportunity for me right now.

Dang it, that reminds me of my webpage. I have to get that darned FFALP working so you can all put links to all of your game pages!

Thus, I get hits, and you get hits! Yippee! =)
In response to Spuzzum
On 4/9/00 1:22 pm Spuzzum wrote:
Since I know Tom and Spuzzum are posting as I type... I keep checking the boards again after I post and posting replies, to which they post replies... I should go fold laundry.

Last time I checked, a few of the active members of her Cerulea forums are GS3 members... =)

Yeah... I've told 10 or 15 people from GS who I thought would be helpful, non-disruptive influences. Of those, only a couple actually post. Some have expressed interest in coding with BYOND but I don't think any have yet.

I would sign up for GS3 (I love sim-type roleplaying), but I don't want to pay that tiny fee. Heck, I check to see if my wallet is still in my pocket every couple of minutes, even if I haven't been moving for hours, in a fairly non-public place. I'm one of the youngest misers out there =).

I quit GS for a while when they started making you pay for it. I'd tell you to do the free trial, but that's what I did and I ended up getting back into the game. I badmouth the game a lot but I do like to play. I'd urge you to check out my site but it hasn't got much on it for the non-player.

I'm a terrible miser too. And I compulsively feel for my wallet and keys when I go out. You should see my panic when I'm driving and notice my keys aren't in my pocket. "Where are my keys? Where are my keys? Oh my gosh! How will I get home?"

Z
In response to Tom H.
On 4/9/00 1:06 pm Tom H. wrote:
On 4/9/00 12:33 pm Zilal wrote:
My GS3 site gets 100 hits a week from people who love RPGs... I would have advertised BYOND on it long ago, but I was afraid people would come to your boards, see I was working on a game, flood into my game (and more than 10 people would be a flood at this point), then cause a ruckus before they got bored with the slow pace of development and left forever.

This has been pretty much our strategy too. We have only advertised one time about a year ago, and got a pretty quick response, but because the system was quite incomplete I think a lot of people got frustrated quickly. Once the system gets stable enough that the bugs are only coming in, say, weekly rather than daily (or hourly :), then I will try to attract a bit more of an audience. And any help we can get from you or anyone else using the system would be great.

I'm probably overestimating my own importance again

What the hell is GS3?
In response to Manifacae
On 4/9/00 5:36 pm Manifacae wrote:
What the hell is GS3?

GemStone III is either the most popular online game ever or the most popular text-based online game ever, depending on which figures you use. It was created by Simutronics and it's been around for maybe eight years. It's basically a giant elaborate MUD, a minimum of $10/month to play. During peak hours there are about 1400 characters in the game.

Z
In response to Zilal
On 4/9/00 8:15 pm Zilal wrote:
On 4/9/00 5:36 pm Manifacae wrote:
What the hell is GS3?

GemStone III is either the most popular online game ever or the most popular text-based online game ever, depending on which figures you use. It was created by Simutronics and it's been around for maybe eight years. It's basically a giant elaborate MUD, a minimum of $10/month to play. During peak hours there are about 1400 characters in the game.

Z
I've read about that game in some magazine! It looks wicked.
In response to Manifacae
On 4/10/00 3:27 pm Manifacae wrote:
I've read about that game in some magazine! It looks wicked.

If you'd like, you may visit my GS page. They let you try the game free for a month... clicking on the GemStone graphic on my page will take you there.

Z