Event Sep 25 2015, 9:01 pm
to Oct 2 2015, 9:01 pm
ID:1947114

Hello soon-to-be rapid-game-developers!

--- Update: The Game in a Day 2015 developer's contest has concluded, check out the results!---

It is once again time to demonstrate one of the great advantages of using the BYOND engine; its ability to allow developers to create complete network-enhanced games in a short time span. In the constraints of this contest, developers are tasked with the challenge of creating a game, from concept to completion, using unique and pre-selected topics, all within a period of 24 hours or less. Sound difficult, maybe even impossible? Non-sense! BYOND community members have been completing this challenge for over a decade!

Traditionally, the Game in a Day challenge has been held over the course of two days, 48 hours, to accommodate the difficulties of time zone discrepancies, and developers were expected to clear their schedules on one of these two days in order to develop a game in 24 or less. This years challenge will deviate from this historic standard in favor of trying a new solution to the problem of conflicting schedules.

Using the advantages of computer automation, the contest will be held over the course of seven days, starting on Saturday September 26 at 12:01 AM EDT, allowing developers of many schedules to partake. When your ready, visit the Game in a Day 2015 Headquarters to register. Once you have agreed to our terms, and complete a little paperwork, and if the contest has begun, you’ll be given the choice to begin your development phase at the time of registration, or come back at a later time that you see better fit, before the contest ends on Saturday October 3rd at 12:01 AM EDT.

When you are ready to begin your development phase, you will be given three valuable topics, randomly pulled from a collection of 15 topics (Pray to RNGod for good ones!). These topics can range from objects, ideas, phrases, to just about anything. You’ll be expected to use at least one of these topics as a basis for your game, not just a skin-over! Once you have received your topic, the clock will begin, and you’ll have 24 hours to brainstorm and complete your newest game. After the 24 hour period is over, you will be given 6 hours to create a hub page, upload your submission to the Game in a Day 2015 Headquarters, and complete a short survey. Don’t miss your deadline!

Lets review some contest information in list format:

Name: Game in a Day 2015 Developer’s contest
Start time: Saturday September 26th (12:01 AM EDT)
End time: Saturday October 3rd (12:01 AM EDT)
Development Phase: 24 hours after your topics are assigned.
Submission Phase: 6 hours after the development phase ends. All submissions must be submitted before the Submission phase ends.
Judging Period: 1 week after the final submission phase, reserving one extra day for every two entries received past 10.
Judge(s): Higoten
Location: Register and submit your submission at the Game in a Day 2015 Headquarters.
Teams: Teams are permitted.
Number of submissions: One entry per user.
Topics: 15 topics are available, three will be randomly selected at the start of each Development Phase. As always, the themes are strange, inspiring, and completely up for interpretation.
External Resource Usage: External resources (Libraries, sound, art, etc) may only be used if they were released for public usage prior to the release of this post. All other assets must be created in the Development Phase.
Prizes: All entries that are submitted will receive a technical review and score. The creator’s of the entries that receive the 5 highest scores will receive a half year BYOND Membership!
Additional Prizes: Thanks to a $50 pledge by Pixel Realms, the following cash prizes will also be awarded: First place: $25, Second place: $15, Third place: $10 Please contact Higoten if you are interested in being a benefactor of this contest by pledging a prize.
Originality: All submissions must utilize an intellectual property which is owned by the developer or team.
Credits: All credit must be given where credit is due, either in game or on the hub page.
Rating: It is recommended, but not required, that your game be designed in such a way that it would receive a "E for Everyone" rating.
Legal: All submitted content must not violate United States law, or the BYOND terms and conditions.
Screen resolution: In order to accurately judge your submission, your game must display properly on a screen resolution of at least 1024x768. Failure to do so may result in critical game elements falling off my screen.
Disqualification: Any submission found in violation of the above or attempting to obtain an unfair advantage, at the determination of the judge(s), will be disqualified. All entries submitted by judge(s) are disqualified.
Grading Rubric:
Aspect # Details
Hub Presentation 4 Hub page is well made and accommodates users to play the game. It contains a clear and accurate short and long description, the title of the game, tags, display version number, depictive screenshots and/or video. A server and/or host files are available and install correctly. No significant spelling or grammatical errors are present.
3 Hub page has a good amount of information, download, and pictures, but possesses significant spelling and grammar issues, is inaccurate, or has other outstanding issues.
2 Hub page is of poor quality, has a small amount of information about the game, no screenshots/videos, no hostfiles/servers, or has excessive spelling and grammatical issues.
1 Hub page exists, but has no information about the game.
0 No hub page.
Theme Usage 4 At least one of the given topics has clearly been naturally integrated into the development of the game, or the topic is used as a catalyst to develop game play.
3 Elements of one of the given topics were present throughout the game, but inspired the storyline or text portions, and not so much the gameplay.
2 At least one of the given topics are used in the game, but is clearly a skin over for a potentially preexisting concept.
1 Unable to clearly identify any usage of a given topic.
0 Makes clearly no use of a given topic.
Consistent Artwork 4 All artwork is consistent. User interface elements blend well with the map and movements are animated when appropriate.
3 Artwork is of mostly consistent appearance, or has noteworthy issues with animation or movement.
2 Artwork is only of mildly consistent appearance or uses text based graphics.
1 Artwork is not consistent.
0 Artwork is stolen or not properly credited.
Informative Instructions 4 Instructions are well written and/or implemented into the game in a way that allows the player to easily learn as they play.
3 Instructions provide sufficient information on how to play, but are of poor quality or bad grammar and spelling.
2 Instructions are provided, but are unclear how to play.
1 Instructions are provided, but are not helpful in learning game play, are wrong, or of extremely bad quality.
0 No instructions are provided
Realistic Replayability 4 Game is fun and rewarding enough to justify nearly endless play through, or utilizes story/skill/advancement/currency to repeat core gameplay with well ramped difficulty.
3 Gameplay is worth three or more play throughs. The gameplay works on the player building their skills to advance, but ramps the difficulty too fast to make it possible to reasonably progress.
2 The game is worth two play throughs, and uses a single time reward to encourage this.
1 The game is only worth one play though. There is nothing to be gained from playing again.
0 The game can not be played.
Enjoyable Gameplay 4 Gameplay is fun and enjoyable for extended periods of time
3 Gameplay is fun and enjoyable, but is shortlived, or has other complications.
2 Gameplay is not fun overall.
1 Gameplay is frustrating and not fun
0 No gameplay is existent, or can not be scored due to other factors.
Structural Stability 4 Game plays correctly, laglessly, and without any errors.
3 Game plays correctly, but has at least one non-critical error, or significant lag.
2 Game starts, but has at least one critical error that affects gameplay.
1 Game starts, but does not play correctly due to multiple errors.
0 Game can not be started, or is unplayable due to errors.
Intuitive Interface 4 Interface, outputs, and feedbacks are well made, responsive, clear, easy to use, and fit the game well. They do not suffer from extreme spelling or grammatical errors. Unnecessary interface clutter is removed and visual or audio feedback is given when the interface is used. Outputs inform and transition the player when they start/complete a level or other similar event as needed.
3 Interface, outputs, and feedbacks are decently made, but suffers from at least one outstanding issue.
2 Uses the standard BYOND 3.5 interface without any HUDS.
1 An interface is present, but doesn’t appear responsive, or is littered with unused buttons, or has significant other problems.
0 Interface doesn’t fit correctly on a 1024x768 monitor.
Music and Sound Effects 4 The game uses a variety of sound effects and music that makes sense and works with the game to create an enjoyable and immersive environment.
3 The game provides sfx and music that accompanies the game, but uses only one piece of music and/or sound effects that become annoyingly repetitive.
2 The game uses both music or sound effects, but they do not benefit the game.
1 The game uses only music or only sound effects.
0 The game makes no usage of music or sound effects.
BYOND Spirit 1 The developer (and their team) puts well-intended effort into their productions. They are proud of their creations and accomplishments and tell others about their successes. They strive to make their creations and skills better. They also help to bring out the best in others who are searching the world BYOND by providing support and advice, being a role model, and maintaining a courteous and respectful attitude.
0 The developer pointlessly discourages, bashes, or abuses other contestants in poor sportsmanship.
Ties will be resolved at the discretion of the judges as to which entry best implements these aspects beyond the purpose of this rubric.

FREE TIPS!:
If you have never participated in a Game in a Day contest, there are some important tips we can provide, based on what we have learned over the years:

1. Don’t get too ambitious: concepting, programming, artwork, sounds, music, mapping, bug testing, and polishing is a lot to cram into a short period of development. Don’t spend more than an hour brain storming, and aim to have the game simple enough so that you could have the entire game programmed in less than three hours.
  2. Manage your content creation process well: Develop below your means. Feature creep happens very fast, and you will not have time to address it.
  3. Don’t get hung up on the fine details of artwork. Consistency is what is being scored.
  4. Aim to finish your project before the 24 hour development phase is over, and you might finish it within 24 hours.
  5. Keep in mind there are many game genres. Its hard to go into a contest like this without a vague idea of what you would like to make, and it can be rather unfortunate when the topics are completely unaccommodating to that idea. Topics are provided to challenge you, and see what new worlds you can uncover.
  6. Don’t aim for a high score in all categories without having a game to submit, because if you submit nothing, then you won’t get a score!
  7. Check out former Game in a Day submissions before starting, so you have an idea of what others have made in the past.
  8. Many of the criteria build on one another. For instance, if you have a bad interface, bad instructions, and bad structural stability, those are going to create problems that may damage your enjoyable gameplay score that may have otherwise scored higher.
  9. To create a responsive interface, make sure that the buttons on the screen are functional and provide visual/audio feedback to indicate a hover-over or click.
  10. Have fun! Remember, this is a challenge and it may become difficult or frustrating. It's about the journey, not the destination!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask below, contact me via the pager, or stop by the Game in a Day 2015 Headquarters, we have a chat room setup there.

Now a word from my imaginary lawyer:
The judge(s) reserve the right to disqualify any submission for any reason. The rules and terms above are subject to change, and participation in this event implies acceptance to all of the rules and terms above, even if the terms change. This contest is held by community independents that are not affiliated with BYOND Software. The distribution of all pledged prizes is the sole responsibility of the pledgee. All images found above are taken from former Game in a Day contest submissions. All rights are retained of the proper owners. Images will be removed upon request of their rightful owner.

IT'S HAPPENING
Very exciting! I registered :)
Heck yea, time to break out my BYOND coffee mug!

(but I'm a procrastinator, so I'll probably wait until Friday to register... and wash my mug)
Oh god, 24 hours only... I barely managed Dawncaster in 36 hours and it's an unplayable mess.

I'm signing up, but I'm 100% guaranteed to blow it.
I'll probably blow it too, but it'll be fun.
@Higoten: Fugsnarf said he doesn't need 12 of his hours. Can I have them?
What the heck, Ter?!

I could do this in 6.
Also: I wanted to say something. I plugged GIAD during the last podcast. GIAD and the Game Jams have been the most fun I've ever had on BYOND.

If you are on the fence about signing up, don't be. It's a great time and it raises community spirits.
I know I'll be raising "spirits."
That's half the fun.
"Don’t get too ambitious"

So no FF1 clones this time? :p*

* Jeez was that really 2009 :o
Indeed, I won't be nearly as ambitious as last time, where I made an FPS in 36 hours:

http://www.byond.com/games/Ter13/DawnCasterInfestation

The code was so frustrating to debug that I never bothered to polish the game.
Totally jealous of the graphics though.

I've started polishing Gaiothe from 2009 now but we're talking like about 2 hours work in the last 6 years!
I will create the best mess I can. :)
I agree with Ter. It's going to be a hot mess, but I'm definitely in!
Ah boy here we go. I'll make one too. Maybe I will get it done this time.
woah nice but i guess im not gonna register
Question: Is it okay if the game is multiplayer-only?
In response to DarkCampainger
DarkCampainger wrote:
Question: Is it okay if the game is multiplayer-only?

Yep! It is okay to create games that are single player, multiplayer, or both.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6