ID:1947587

Resolved
Objects sometimes had incorrect pixel offsets, accidentally carried over from other objects, when first coming into view.
BYOND Version:509.1301
Operating System:Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 45.0.2454.93
Applies to:Webclient

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

Sometimes, in the webclient, certain objects will appear tile(s) away from where the object's real position is. This is not a game bug, as it's only been present post-DSification on the webclient.

If I leave view of the problem object then return, it will usually sort itself out.

A quick demonstration of the bug:

[Problem Gif] / [Intended Result]

Sorry I cannot be more descriptive, this is an extremely rare / elusive bug that I cannot accurately reproduce when I want.
Piggybacking off this topic:

Sometimes when you're moving, turfs will appear to become black squares that display properties of luminosity. Ie, they're black from a distance but become visible when you're close.

[Gif].

These could be related.
If you can find a way to reliably reproduce this, please let me know.
I've also seen this happen to Unity-chan. The lower one should be on the ground and not partially inside a block.
http://puu.sh/kd4Mm/660a5bf06a.png

I can't tell exactly when it happens either, but it's interestingly exactly half a tile northeast. Coincidence?
This is still a problem in 509.1304.

It seems to happen when something leaves the client's screen, then re-enters it later on.
Is there a reliable way to reproduce this yet? I've been constrained by the lack of a test case.
In response to Lummox JR
I'll investigate this further, see what triggers it and what doesn't.
Thanks. Even a case that works 25% of the time would be helpful.
The icon isn't being generated at runtime, is it? That is, is it part of the standard built-in icons or is it something that runs a risk of being sent later? And does this only happen for specific objects/tiles or is it truly completely arbitrary?
In response to Lummox JR
It doesn't happen for icons generated at runtime. It seems to happen arbitrarily, but noticeably does not happen for turfs - only mobs and objects. Hopefully that helps, since I've not been able to gather much of anything else about this.
do the objects/mobs in question have a pixel offset, or possibly have another object under/above them that does that could be causing the behavior?
In response to Lifehunter
Negative.
I added a couple of things to make the map offset values (which I'm pretty sure are the culprits) update in a few more situations in 509.1306. It's not much, but it might make the difference. Let me know how it works out, and if it's still broken please see what you can do to reproduce it. Even knowing things like whether it happens on previously seen objects or new ones, whether it happens after a teleport or when walking into a scene, etc. may be useful.
In response to Lummox JR
My main problem is that I've never been able to reliably reproduce the issue. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

Once the next release is live I'll try to include as well when it 'sometimes' happens in a list.
That'd be helpful, thanks. Any kind of info that might point to a possibility is something.

509.1306 is up now.
This is still happening on 509.1306. I'll do my best to figure out when it happens, but so far, it's just happening for every single non-turf atom sometimes. For things generated at runtime and otherwise. It's pretty indiscriminate.
Does it happen when items are on the map and you walk/teleport there, or when it's created in a region you're already in, or both?
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Sometimes, not always, objects with pixel_x/y display without the visual offsets. As you walk away and the object exits then enter your view it can appear correctly or incorrectly, it's not consistent and appears random.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Place objects with pixel offset on the map
2. Walk around the map, try to have the object exit & enter your view

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
Demo project: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/51176364/scratch.zip

Expected Results:
Always showing object with pixel offsets.

Actual Results:
Pixel offsets sometimes are ignored

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Inconsistent, appears random
In other games? Yes
In other user accounts? Yes
On other computers? Yes

When does the problem NOT occur? Random.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Didn't check

Workarounds:
None.
Please retest this issue in 509.1309. I was able to solve a bug that sounds like it could have caused this issue.
As far as I can see, yep, the issue's been fixed in 509.1309. Great work!
Page: 1 2