ID:1948483

My first question is about Lite vs Heavy Antivirus. I noticed that most of the popular Antivirus have quite the heavy footprint. Especially during scans and startup.

Does using Antivirus that is lighter under load mean that it is less effective? I'm not really fond of heavy duty antivirus, but at the same time I like to stay well protected. Mostly for when other people use my machines, as they are not as informed on what is dangerous and not on the internet.

What Antivirus do you prefer and why? What are it's strengths?

What Antivirus do you think we should all avoid? Why should we avoid it?

I've been using Avast for a long time now. Recently, I saw a few users who had abandoned Avast for other Antivirus. I was always under the assumption that Avast was very good, and correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I saw Lummox recommend Avast not too long ago.

I'm thinking of switching, so I need community feedback.
I just use Microsoft Security Essentials. It uses virtually no memory and it never bugs you with notifications.
I avoid the free ones, they are always problem causers and use the most resources.
Get what you need basically, if you aren't browsing sites with tons of ads you should be relatively safe. If you are running a server that outside connections connect to, you would probably want a heavier hitter. My ESET process is only using 243k memory.

The commercial ones that use more resources have more ability, such as real time detection and prevention, heuristics and more advanced features.
If you aren't doing too much browsing or allowing outside connections, using microsofts rubbish should be suitable (not that I trust MS anymore).
Ter talked about some of this in his thread about AVG, but I'll reiterate.

I just keep Windows Defender running, but I mostly rely on my own ability to avoid and/or track down viruses. It's not 100% effective, but neither is any anti-virus. At least with this method, you don't have some resource-hog program on your computer. So the key is use Chrome, disable ads, disable java, and don't download stupid things. You gotta know what to look for and avoid, which for most of us internet-smart folk isn't too hard. Since I've had my own computer, I've never had an anti-virus outside of Windows Defender. That's been about 8 years, and I've never had any virus that I'm aware of.
In response to Fugsnarf
What I like about ESET SS is it will block the injected trojan links within the banners themselves and alert you. Something that doesn't get blocked by just adblockers.
I'd like to quote an article from howtogeek.com:
"Windows Defender should probably be fine for most PCs, along with some common sense and other good security practices. However, if you’re regularly downloading pirated applications and engaging in other high-risk behaviors, you may want to skip Windows Defender and get something that does better against the collection of obscure malware samples used to test antivirus software."

Honestly, if you're concerned with protecting your PC, google up articles on the topic, I'm sure google will be your best friend in solving the mystery.

This article may prove helpful. Although since Lavitiz will probably skip on reading it, I'll quote the conclusion "Our Recommendation: Use One On-Access Antivirus Tool and One On-Demand Anti-Malware Tool"

I use ESET Smart Security, I know pretty damn well it's not good enough, I plan to try out BitDefender once my license expires since BitDefender been scoring high on reviews (and I have an option to get a license for half a buck) but at same time, I use Malwarebytes.

Combine that with some computer-smarts and you're completely safe, haven't bumped serious viruses or malware for ages, it's mostly driver issues that bug me recently.

EDIT: I thought to mention if it wasn't obvious enough, don't use AVG, they'll sell your children to slavery and stuff.
In response to LordAndrew
LordAndrew wrote:
I just use Microsoft Security Essentials. It uses virtually no memory and it never bugs you with notifications.

This, sometimes I couple it with MalwareBytes.
In response to Rotem12
If it is driver issues making your ESET SS not work, that is not ESETS fault, that is Microsoft's fault for releasing crappy operating systems.

I have never had any issues with ESET SS and never have had any destructive viruses or otherwise. Whatever problems you experience that make you think ESET SS "isn't good enough" must be operator error! :)
ESET Nod32 is where it's at. 3 licenses for 2 years for $40 is totally chill.
In response to LordAndrew
LordAndrew wrote:

^
Beautiful AV program.
In response to Lugia319
I don't trust microsoft.
Their built in systems are also backdoors. No thanks!
I don't trust Microsellyourinformation either.

I don't use Windows because I trust them. I use them because the alternative is using a Mac, which is kind of like not having an alternative at all. If I was given the option of using an Apple product or having my head shoved as far as possible into the inflamed rectum of a hippopotamus suffering from irritable bowel syndrome for 24 hours, I'd choose the latter.
In response to EmpirezTeam
Way to disregard all of those Free OS's, I guess those don't matter. :)
Yeah, nothing wrong with Linux.

Except the lack of just about every game and program I want to use besides Chrome.