ID:194983

im making a new mob / race icon for my game..

Stargate Online..

we've desided to incress the players icon size so its heads above 32x32 but keeping the body in the 32x32 box, for emotions and stuff..

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

my shadeing skills are poor, but overall this is the adverage size i require it to be, proberly abit more 3D-ish n stuff.. u proberly get the idear of were im going with it..

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket i made an outfit to see how the'd look on the icon and overall it wasnt that bad..

this is a size differance shot..
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket as my new gate icon is 5x5 / 6x6 the player icons needs incresseing so can anyone give me some idears on how to improve parts of it to allow for a more detailed build and give it some details in look wise as i wanna introduce a more realish look to the player..

i based it of a tutorial i found threw these boards. i can tell it needs alot mroe work, but i just cant spot were , my eyes are not working right, so im asking for some fresh eyes to point out my mistakes etc.. any assistance would be greatly wanted and i'll even make sure ppl know u assisted and stuff, its just annoying me , i know it needs fixing in areas but i just cant see were at this moment, proberly been focusing on it far to much to spot it..
I would suggest changing the light source. Since you're using larger icons the pillow shading is a lot more obvious. Just mess around with light sources and shadows.

Like say if you made the light source from the top-right, every separate part of the body (arms, legs, torso, head) would be light at the top-right, and than dark on the bottom-left.

Also minor bit on anatomy, the pecks on the dude, well don't look like pecks. They're a bit too defined, and rounded, and resemble what you would find a female chest.

Other than that good job.
In response to Maggeh
u mean it has man boobs lol, yeah afew ppl mentioned that lol, will work on it ltr, off to bed now, will work on it in several hours.. and thanks for the advice..
Yurgeta wrote:
we've desided to incress the players icon size so its heads above 32x32 but keeping the body in the 32x32 box, for emotions and stuff..
... as my new gate icon is 5x5 / 6x6 the player icons needs incresseing so can anyone give me some idears on how to improve parts of it to allow for a more detailed build and give it some details in look wise as i wanna introduce a more realish look to the player..

Well, to some extent, you're going to have a hard time reconciling a realistic look while having the larger head for emotions, etc. Not that there's anything wrong with the big-head style, because, like you say, facial emotions and the face in general are good indicators and feedback mechanisms for a player to recognize what's going on in the game. However, people simply don't have heads that big. Still, I think it's doable.
Check this out:

(by Nicolas Villeminot)

It's a good example of how you can make that work. The faces are easily recognizable and not unrealistic (but characture-ish).

i based it of a tutorial i found threw these boards. i can tell it needs alot mroe work, but i just cant spot were , my eyes are not working right, so im asking for some fresh eyes to point out my mistakes etc.. any assistance would be greatly wanted and i'll even make sure ppl know u assisted and stuff, its just annoying me , i know it needs fixing in areas but i just cant see were at this moment, proberly been focusing on it far to much to spot it..

I agree with Maggeh, you're definitely going to hafta pick a light source especially if these are going to be two icons tall. Shading is tough. I'm not all that great at it myself yet (in pixel art).

Also, check some of the anatomy links in the tools and tutorials thread in the tutorials section.

I like the screenshot!
Keep going!
In response to TheMonkeyDidIt
yeah big heads are not at all too well especialy for my type of game.. and with it expanding into a more RPG style and having uniqe outfits with stats etc, the heads not optional, so ive desided to redo the icon, but keep it 2 icons tall, and ive been stripping icons down to there single shades to help learn how to position the light and make it look asif light is actuly hitting it. ive learened abit sofar, but the net has much more to teach me lol