ID:1950933

Resolved
BYOND Version:509.1302
Operating System:Windows 10 Home
Web Browser:Chrome 45.0.2454.101
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

I realize this is probably more an issue with my crappy system than a 'bug', but I figured I'd post it. client.color does absolutely nothing in DS when running in hardware mode. Works fine in software mode, and both modes in the webclient, but hardware mode is a dead stick.

AMD Radeon R4 integrated graphics, which I realize is the problem.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1) Buy a crappy computer.
2) Use hardware mode in DS

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:

Well, this actually is pretty much what I expected, but I suppose it should work properly

Actual Results:

Nothing.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Every time I use hardware mode.
In other games?
In other user accounts?
On other computers?

When does the problem NOT occur?
When I buy a better system.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Well, it didn't work pre 1300, but that's largely because it wasn't an option. I'm sure if it had been, it wouldn't have worked then either.

Workarounds:

Buy a better computer or run in software mode.
I'll see if I can at least get some better info on when color matrix effects aren't available and suggest switching to software mode. (I assume this does happen with atom.color using a matrix as well, correct? When neiher atom.color nor client.color is a matrix, it should actually be using the much simpler method of multiplying colors.)

That said, though, the R4 is as I understand it a fairly new graphics controller. Integrated yes, but it ought to support effects and HLSL. So I'm wondering if the fact that you didn't have the requisite .dll and had to sideload it is to blame. Any remotely modern GPU, even integrated, ought to be able to handle color matrices.

Here's what I suggest: Download the DirectX redistributable and have it update all your files, after first getting rid of the .dll you're using now (just move it somewhere else). If the DirectX update doesn't fill the file in, maybe something else is missing that still needs to be done.
Yeah, atom.color with a matrix doesn't work either. I'll give downloading DirectX a shot and see how that goes.
Okay, I upgraded my directx, (which is way more of a pain in the ass than it should be),and it works fine now.
which is way more of a pain in the ass than it should be

I'm amazed that you didn't have it upgraded already. I can't go a week without DirectX trying to reinstall itself even though I'm already running latest.
Well, Windows 10 seems to think it was updated. Trying to update it from microsoft just led me to a link to redownload windows 10. I had to go to an outside site to get it.
Lummox JR resolved issue