density=1
mob
icon='player.dmi'

mob
Login()
loc = locate(/turf/start)
..()

Problem description:

When I run the project why doesn't the mob spawn on the map?
Did you make a map and put a /turf/start on it?
@Kaiochao yes i did, not sure what i'm missing though.
Anyone able to help me out? I'm trying to get back into DM but this is stopping from continuing with the guide.
In response to Cloud28
I just recreated what you are doing and it worked fine. Is that all the code that's in your project? What actually happens when you run the game? (Do you see a black screen? Do you appear on the map but not in the right place?)
turf
floor
icon='floor.dmi'
start
icon='start.dmi'
wall
icon='wall.dmi'
density=1
mob
icon='player.dmi'

mob
Login()
loc = locate(/turf/start)
..()

Yeah pretty much, Basically the map is there with all the icons arranged in place but there's no player mob to actually interact with the environment.
In response to Cloud28
It might be easier for everyone if you upload your source since it's so small.
sorry im a newb how do i do that?
In response to Cloud28
Just zip the source folder and upload it somewhere like Sendspace.
In response to Cloud28
You weren't setting the mob's icon_state to "player", as it is in player.dmi. You were appearing on the map, you just didn't see yourself.
Do you mind showing me the code string that would be used to fix it? I understand what you're saying but I don't know how you would implement it into the code.
In response to Cloud28
Best response
icon_state = "player"

The above would be placed under /mob.
It worked, thanks. Is there a reason why this wasn't mentioned in the .pdf guide? (Learning through that) Should I have already known this lol?
In response to Cloud28
Nope. I checked the first four chapters and did not find a mention of icon_state. The DM guide is old and isn't maintained so I'm not all that surprised.

However, I suggest using F1 pretty often and reading up on terms you are using, you'll learn a lot that way. Through there you'll find procs that, in some way, have to do with the keyword in question, as well as in-depth details on how it works, how it's implemented, etc.