Hmmm... Seems to me that the only way to get it to work at all properly would be to use an image object.
But its something I want everyone to see; I'm not comfortable trawling through viewers() just for a frequent (and simple) effect.

Bug report or feature request? Or a bug report masquerading as feature request.
bug masquerading as a feature request. I suppose the adding to overlays bit should make the icon_state play from the first frame. I'd start a bug report with that, argue with Lummox for 2-3 posts, then frustratedly accept the fact that he's gonna move it to feature requests.
Can you not add a state to 'Smoke.dmi' which displays the animation, but have the default state blank? That way when you add it you can flick the icon_state of the Smoke object and then recycle it until you need it next time?

Personally the way I'd do it would be to pull the object to the user's location rather than add it as an overlay, flick the icon state and wait for the frames to finish then put it away until it needs using again.

That way you can lock the players movement, or let them move freely from the smoke(depending on your preference).
Page: 1 2