ID:1956452

I was just goofing off and checking to see if I could broadcast my game on Steam.

With default settings, Steam detects the actual game-specific window view, but never gets output from it until you go into Steam's settings and check the 'Record Video From All Applications' setting.

But it works! I was surprised!
Well, considering that they already recognized Byond when they allowed NEStalgia into the green light program, I don't see how this should be any surprise.

It is nice, but there are many programs that can do this same thing. I'm going to be angry at gabe and dog on steam until he finally owns up to his BS and makes/releases the next Half Life. Until then, F steam.
Half life isn't even anything unique, I'm still confused at why all these people think it's the best thing in the world. Only solution I found is just being bandwagoners.
In response to Edit Nero
Edit Nero wrote:
Half life isn't even anything unique, I'm still confused at why all these people think it's the best thing in the world. Only solution I found is just being bandwagoners.

welcome to what we call "game design" and its history

let's start by stepping away from naruto games
In response to Edit Nero
Edit Nero wrote:

half-life pretty much kicked the ladder down for better game design. if you can't recognize that, you should learn to.
Half-Life is an overhyped series as it is. Sure, it was important for game design, but I can guarantee if we ever do see a Half-Life 3 it's going to totally miss all expectations and bum people out.

Just my two cents.
In response to Manio
Manio wrote:
Half-Life is an overhyped series as it is. Sure, it was important for game design, but I can guarantee if we ever do see a Half-Life 3 it's going to totally miss all expectations and bum people out.

Just my two cents.
It'll essentially be Duke Nukem Forever.
In response to Manio
Manio wrote:
Half-Life is an overhyped series as it is.

the game design gurus showing up
Saying Half Life is overhyped and not unique is like saying Super Mario Bros is overhyped and not unique. Sure, it's full of archaic design and lots of platformers are objectively better. But nobody would make that statement because of what a gem it is, how much it contributed to game design, and how much we can still learn from it.
In response to Yut Put
Yut Put wrote:
Edit Nero wrote:

First off I don't know where this animosity is coming from but chill. Second yes, it was a great design. It was however completely over hyped and if there would be another half life I can almost gaurentee it to let you down. You'll either be burdened by multiple microtransactions of some form, or poor game design.

P.S I stepped away from naruto games long ago o.o my profile pic isn't a naruto game ^.^
In response to Edit Nero
No, its called being told something by a developer, that developer turning back on their own words and then completely ignoring their fan base that made them and their systems who they are today.

Gabe let half life go belly up after promising to release the next episode; After that, he went radio silent and hasn't spoken a word about it since (well, except a couple of crummy interviews here and there where he teases people about it).

Basically he turned into a fat slob and jerk who only cares to publish other peoples games and rake in all the profits. He no longer makes games, only money.
If you don't understand why people are STILL angry over half life, it is because you weren't around and thus your perspective is irrelevant.

We are mad because he is a liar and a cur.
In response to AERProductions
AERProductions wrote:
Well, considering that they already recognized Byond when they allowed NEStalgia into the green light program, I don't see how this should be any surprise.

Well, the surprise is that Steam actually manages to pick up on what is the actual game view (it ignores the text field and command tabs) however it doesn't actually capture the game window.
In response to Khyberkitsune
Yeah, the key being that steam worked with a Byond game, thus they are obviously recognizing it and supporting some level of functionality when they are "publishing" and selling a Byond game under one of their programs.

My statement wasn't in need of a retort because it is self explanatory and I did indeed state right under that, that it is still cool regardless of how 'not surprising' it really is.

If that is too literal, well, I suppose it is open to interpretation.
I think it's more like BYOND's map control uses some standard graphical element that Steam happens to recognize.

For instance, when BYONDexe was available, you could make an .exe of your game, add it to Steam as a non-Steam game, play it, and have the Steam Overlay appear over the map control (but not over the rest of the interface). That doesn't mean Steam did anything special to make it specifically "work with BYOND", though, since the Steam Overlay works with plenty of other non-Steam games.
In response to Kaiochao
Yeah, I wasn't intending to imply that. By "working with" I meant testing it out during the publishing phase (which I'm sure they do, how could they not?).

So, of course they are going to figure out what the map control uses and support it.

Why we have to talk circles to make it seem like "we are the mostest right and nobody else is". I don't know, maybe its the morning coffee? (Or chocolate beer tea, in my case) :)
What are you talking about? We're both just making guesses. We don't know who's right or wrong, so we're having a discussion about it because this is a forum. Maybe Lummox JR or someone from Steam can clarify this.

Again, my guess is that Steam doesn't need to know a single thing about BYOND in order for its Overlay and Broadcasting features to support BYOND games. This is assuming BYOND is using a way of rendering graphics that Steam recognizes. Standardization is a key part of making things as complex as computer software work together without requiring any actual collaboration.
I think it's more like BYOND's map control uses some standard graphical element that Steam happens to recognize.

I don't know the exact names here, but the idea is that when you initialize a Direct3D Surface for rendering. One of these is set to the primary surface in the application. Steam's overlay grabs the handle of the primary surface and then renders its own offscreen surface onto the primary surface.

Again, this is a really, really simple explanation of how it works and is probably wrong at some semantic level.

Why we have to talk circles to make it seem like "we are the mostest right and nobody else is". I don't know, maybe its the morning coffee? (Or chocolate beer tea, in my case) :)

@AER: Kaiochao was right. Steam in no way whatsoever has looked at BYOND and gone: "Hey, we should support this."

AERProductions wrote:
Byond game, thus they are obviously recognizing it and supporting some level of functionality when they are "publishing" and selling a Byond game under one of their programs.

In no way whatsoever did Steam modify their software or API for NEStalgia. Tom compiled a special build of BYOND for silk that included the steamworks API. BYOND uses standardized rendering techniques just like Kaiochao said. Kaiochao was spot on.
In response to Yut Put
Yut Put wrote:
Edit Nero wrote:

We won't see people step away from bleach naruto or dbz until each has an high quality good standard version of each that people just don't wanna compete with... As it stands now everything is up for grabs.
-Yawns and wanders off-

I forgot the golden rule of byond: stay away from the forums.
"NO DIFFERING OPINIONS OR ALTERNATIVE PERPSECTIVES!"
"NO DIFFERING OPINIONS OR ALTERNATIVE PERPSECTIVES!"

Dude, I'm offering you information on how it actually works.

It's not a differing opinion or an alternate perspective. You are making assumptions about a matter of fact and what you said is wrong at a factual level.

What you said very clearly implied that they did work to make their software integrate with BYOND. That's just not how it works. BYOND uses an interface that is common to the interface the Steam overlay uses because it's one of two standard graphics APIs in existence.

I don't understand why you can never just gracefully take a correction and move on like a grown-up.
Page: 1 2