ID:1956487

I'm considering adding "house building" in a couple of my works.
Just curious but what are some of the cons of this?
off hand I can remember logging into a few maps and looking at them going-"my lord" and logging out.
Mismatched tiles,unfinished and half destroyed structures-etc.

I'd really like to allow players the ability to have or own their own housing.
So I was thinking premade...but I would prefer a system that allows players to make their own-without all of the er..well. Ugliness.

Thoughts?
Take a look on the "Ultima Online" house system, for a 2D game it was the better house system that i have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbU6c6d1GC0
just have a area of houses you can buy then make it that u can only edit the inside

That's neat @ Tacurumin.

Ultima seems way in depth. :o

@ Ganite, I thought about it. I kinda of want places where players can build houses.

Maybe have amounts of land they can buy for building on.
if its for Kage I'd say that be great maybe people can make their own villages.
In response to Ganite
I had that in mind ultimately.
I already coded in a system where you can toggle build mode on, then click on certain buildable turfs to place a certain set of turfs there.

I suppose the only thing keeping it out of the game is artwork.
In response to Avidanimefan
You could probably limit it to entire buildings in a variety of sizes, shapes, and styles. That would make a village possible, but limit how ugly things can get. Especially if you set a few placement rules, and such.

Doing so shouldn't be too tough, assuming your buildings are big icons and not broken up too much. Otherwise... Eh, depends on the programmer, and how it's done.
I have player housing in my game that I've been working on. I debated the fact of making it build-able tile by tile, but after coming to the same conclusion that you did, like having a bunch of unfinished stuff laying around the world. I ended up just making my own building generator. It's not the best, but it builds the house for you, with a custom size that you choose. Even though it only makes fixed square buildings, the size can change, and I plan on making it so you get to choose the type of floors, and walls and so forth. It has some downsides to it, but I do like it kinda better. I have it so depending on the chosen size, it takes a certain amount of materials to build it. As well I made it so they save/load as well as with items that are dropped on the floors inside them. Doors are auto placed when it's generating, and that's how I handle ownership is through the door objects, the owner can lock/unlock the doors. I also made it so houses can't be build too close to another house, or the edge of the map, to keep it from glitching out the building and getting errors. So far it has shown to be pretty good for what I'm going for and I haven't came into any issues... But the only cons I can think of in the long run making it like this, is after awhile the map will have a lot of objs on the map that save/load due to amount of houses, which would increase saving/loading times. But besides that, I think it's pretty solid so far.
In response to Wikked_Klwn420
That actually sounds pretty nice.

So far I decided on bits of land that can be built upon.
I'm thinking I may just devote a district or two, to housing seperate of the combat zones and maybe add a hub area where players can convene since that is a part of my game anyway.
Avidanimefan wrote:
That actually sounds pretty nice.

So far I decided on bits of land that can be built upon.
I'm thinking I may just devote a district or two, to housing seperate of the combat zones and maybe add a hub area where players can convene since that is a part of my game anyway.

Right on that sounds good. I did have a settlement system i made that was player made as well. They could pay ingame currency to build a settlement. Which pretty much created an area. That only the owner of the settlement could generate buildings in, unless they invited other players to join their settlement. And the settlement could be expanded by building another settlement next to it as long as it was the same owner, otherwise would tell you to move farther away to build one, and it would link them to the same owner and the villagers. Which all of this saved and loaded. But even though i spent hours on perfecting this system the best i could and it worked flawlessly from what I was able to test, I ended up scrapping the whole system and just kept the building generator because the settlements would have just caused me problems in the future and probably lag. Lol. (sorry for going off topic a bit lol.)
No it's fine that's all actually pretty interesting as well.
I was working on a project before that called for player homes and I decided to go with an instanced approach to it. Have a secondary server up to house all of the players inside of their homes that just gets transferred between the main server and the home server whenever someone enters or exits the player housing. I decided to make the main world homes basically like an apartment building where when you entered it, it sent you to specifically your personal apartment.

Doing overworld houses is an interesting concept, but I feel like it's something better suited to a game where players are allowed to host their own private servers, such as how Minecraft does it. Trying to do it in an MMO environment likely wouldn't work out too well. Too many players coming and going, leaving their clutter behind and too much of a pain in the butt to clean it all up. Plus then you have the issue of whenever old players return, they'll be upset that all of their stuff was destroyed.
That's why I'm most likely going to go with limited space.
Maybe even a rent system.
The new MMO Trove uses a unique plot system. When you login, you're able to find plots spread across the world. You can walk up to any empty plot and press a key to take that plot.

You can build whatever you'd like on the plot, and place whatever items and chests down.

When you logoff or leave that section of the world, your house will disappear and the plot will become available again.

Whenever you want, you can walk up to a new plot and press the same key to retrieve your old house - it will immediately appear on that plot.

TL;DR: Plots are spread around the world. You create your house once, but your house "moves" with you as you move from plot to plot. Your house disappears while you are offline.
Ah that's a really nice way of handling it.

And something I could easily do as well.
That is a pretty nice way of handling it. The only issue I could foresee with that is that every day the houses and whatnot would be in a different place, making it fairly difficult to keep track of where your friend's homes are. It's not so bad with only a handful of players online at any one time, however.

My advice is to simply use a system that works with the anticipated player-base size. More than likely, unless you heavily market your project off of BYOND, you'll be lucky to get a dozen or so dedicated players. Find a solution that is easy to implement and will work with the number of players you expect. Remember that you can ALWAYS change it later if your player base grows, but you don't really need to worry about an infinitely scaling system if you don't want it.

Housing instancing such as the apartment complex idea is one of the simpler, infinitely scaling options that I personally would recommend, but it's completely dependent on the theme for your game. Magic portals to your personal "dream world" would be cool for a high-fantasy setting and for a futuristic setting something like a custom space-station or ship might be a cool theme to use. They're just reskins of the same idea so don't feel bound to one specific instance.

Hope this makes the decision at least a little easier for you.
In response to Kats
I don't really see players being difficult to find, if they are friended, you could just invite them or maybe even warp to their front door.
With every problem comes a solution. Hey, it sounds like something that would work with what you need it to do. I say go for it. I'd definitely like to check out whatever you're able to put together.