ID:1956515

(See the best response by Kaiochao.)

Hello, I'm making a turned based strategy game and need help with a specific aspect that I haven't quite been able to work through on my own.

So let's say we have a certain stage. We'll call it Map 1 for arguments sake. In single player mode I'd need people to use the same map without interfering with each other as they play against AI. So I thought okay this is simple enough either image or client.screen will do.. Problem is both of those had major drawbacks

With image... It's not actually the mob. So it won't have the variables my mob has such as HP and strength etc. Possible workaround : make the mob invisible and attach the image and display the image to the user. But that sounds really messy, which makes me think this is not my best option.

With client.screen.... Because the mob is not actually on the map but instead just on the screen, it's ridiculously hard (for me at least) to determine the unit's movement range with the turfs that are "around him" as he doesn't really exist there.

Having said all this, what are your thoughts on how I can strike a balance between visibility to the relevant player(s) and the ability to determine a mob's location and movement range?

Best response
I think the solution with the easiest way to avoid conflicts between players is map instancing. Basically, duplicate your map elsewhere whenever a player needs it and recycle map space when instances go unused.
Map instancing had come to mind while I was trying all of this. I've never don't it before so it's foreign to me which is probably why I've procrastinated on trying to incorporate it so far. But considering my alternatives aren't looking very promising I'll dedicate some time to looking into and learning it.

Thanks for the help Kaio.