ID:1957246

So recently there was another incident of rape at the university I used to work for. Apparently, some chick went to a party, got drunk with a guy she "knew" and ended up being raped.

One thing I will never change my stance on about incidents like this is "who to blame" because I know most people in general have it backwards. Watch this video up until the 1:50 mark and then continue reading.

The lion ( predator ) is presented with 3 different options of prey. When let loose, he immediately makes a beeline toward the smallest, easiest target. The reason this is important is because we're no different than animals. Human predators choose their prey in the exact same manner. Criminals are looking for the easiest way to accomplish whatever it is they're trying to do, which means they like lone, unaware, non-threatening targets to go after. For example, a criminal is much more likely to take his chances robbing a guy who's 5'4 than a guy who's 6'4 - he simply interprets his chances of success being higher with the former than the latter.

The fact is this: everyone is potential prey. When you're at a party or a club, you and all of your friends are being observed carefully by predators. They're taking note of how vulnerable and naive you look and behave, if you're alone, if you look like you can put up a fight - the exact same way the lions look for the prey that's young or limping or away from the rest of the herd. When the party is said and done, there's a reason why 49 girls went home safely while the 50th chick woke up naked next to a guy she doesn't recognize. It's because the predator knew girl #50 was easy prey. If you're a rapist, you're not going to target someone you know is smart, suspecting and aware of all the tricks people like to play - you're going to go for that chick that's new to all this and knows absolutely nothing about how the world works.

I'm mentioning this because every time one of these cases happens, no one ever seems to question the victim. Everything is "she had a right to get drunk and not get raped", which is completely true - you should be able to drink a glass of wine and not end up in someone's trunk an hour later. But here's the thing: we don't live in a perfect world. As we've just established, we live in a world of predators and immediately shifting blame to the predator for doing what predators always do, we never focus on how the victim ended up as the chosen prey in the first place. Which is extremely important because until people start recognizing that their actions directly impact their chances of being a victim, they will continue living their oblivious, unprepared lives until they too become a victim.

My sister was a victim of date rape years ago. She met some guys at high school who soon after invited her to a party. She got to the party and accepted a drink from one of them and was then taken to another room in the house and can't remember anything after that other than the fact that she woke up with her clothes in a pile on the floor beside the bed. Should people be able to go to parties and not have that happen to them? YES. Should people behave as though we live in a world that's all flowers and happiness where things such as this don't occur? NO. In other words, my sister ended up a victim not just because predators exist, but partly due to her own ignorance. She went to a party with guys she barely knew, she accepted a drink without knowing where it came from or what was put into it, and then isolated herself from the rest of the people at the party by going into a room with the guy. In other words, she was already potential prey to begin with - including every other chick at the party - but transitioned to "perfect prey" after her poor decisions.

And why was she ignorant to these things to begin with? Well, the thing is, every time a rape case pops up in the news, the remarks are always "that guy is despicable and needs to be locked away", "if that was my daughter, I would've killed him", "people are crazy", "give him the death sentence", "what is the world coming to?"

And if just ONE SINGLE PERSON types anything along the lines of "Well.. it was kinda poor decision making on her part to go to a party with guys she just met a few days ago and put her full trust in them", the comments just erupt into multiple people spamming "WTF R U VICTIM BLAMING BRO?" What this does is it blocks constructive criticism and fails to address one key part of the issue, and so even after reading stories about girls being raped, people don't learn how they can help prevent themselves from ending up in the same situation because literally no one is allowed to talk about it. The moment you bring up a separate course of action the victim could've taken to go home safely that night, you're bashed for "victim blaming" and told to "STFU" and so then since the entire discussion is nothing but predator blaming, the prey never get any wiser and continue to fall into the same traps year after year like the peers before them because the girls are never made aware of the fact that the prey made mistakes that contributed to their situation.

Imagine if we never taught our youth to look both ways before crossing a street. Don't you think more kids would get hit by vehicles? Furthermore, don't you think it'd be ridiculous if every time someone got hit by a vehicle, we immediately put 100% blame on the person driving the vehicle every single time and never taking into consideration how the person crossing the street went about doing it? And then on top of that, we ridiculed anyone and everyone who would dare to utter anything along the lines of "people should make sure to look both ways before crossing the street"? The only reason we tell our youth that is because we acknowledge the fact that poor driving can result in car accidents AS WELL AS poor pedestrian behaviors. Not crossing within the crosswalk, crossing with your head buried into your iPhone, not looking both ways, crossing before you're given the walk signal etc. are all ways pedestrians, through their own actions ( NOT the driver's ), raise their chances of getting slammed by a car.

And I'm not saying every person who's ever been raped is just some naive idiot at a party who should've made better choices. Tons of people were raped as a result of things like slavery and war - there's not really much they can do in those situations. But I'm sorry, people need to quit whining about predators ( who aren't going anywhere any time soon ) and start being more vocal when it comes to all the things people need to do to protect themselves. We can bitch about rapists all we want, but we're always going to have rapists no matter how many we complain about or lock up in jail, so the smart thing to do is to look at how people constantly end up as rape victims ( especially in these retarded high school or college party cases ) and start teaching people "hey, doing A, B, and C lessens your chances of ending up like that girl over there" ( without some asshat coming out of nowhere screaming "OMFG VICTIM BLAMING!" ) so people can be equipped with the knowledge necessary to make stalking predators think twice about targeting them. And I'm not just referring to rape cases. Even things like mass shootings follow a similar pattern.

Every time someone walks into a university and shoots a handful of people, the discussion is:
- I wish we had better psychiatric hospitals
- I wish we had stricter gun laws
- I wish violent people would just kill themselves
- I wish we wouldn't publicize these mass shootings

And literally NO ONE says JACKSHIT about "I wish more people knew what to do in case of a crazed gunman shooting". Each one of those topics shifts attention from the victims and onto something else, and that's not to imply the victims are to blame for some random guy shooting them - that's just to point out that no progress is ever made because no one ever seems to stop and consider the fact that awareness and preparation saves lives more than hospitals, laws, and wishful thinking do. I'm pretty sure if a maniac ran into the bookstore where I work tomorrow and opened fire, none of my co-workers or managers would know how to react or even be aware that someone is walking into the store with a visible firearm in their hands to begin with. There are tactics and things you should know when you're in the middle of such a situation, and like, no one knows what those tactics are because no one talks about them so people remain their ignorance and end up getting used as target practice for some guy who had nothing better to do than to go on a killing spree and then die in a high speed chase on the interstate.

So yes, in some cases to an extent, we should be blaming victims not because they don't have a right to not be raped or not get shot, but because we can't save lives until we are allowed to talk about things other than the predators. We can't stop lions from existing, but what we can do is make sure that impalas know they're frequently being targeted and are aware of actions they can take to not be the vulnerable straggler lagging behind the rest of the herd. In some situations, being someone's prey is completely avoidable, and the only factor coming into play at that point will be the decisions you make. Please don't buy into the misconception that every single bad thing that happens in your life is entirely someone else's fault.
This is some meta way to complain about BYOND being horrible broski.
Good read, and I mostly agree.

The result of many of the cases you outlined, such as the date rape case, are due to the fact that the person in question failed to make use of their protective mind, and as such, did not fully evaluate the situation. Essentially, that person focused only on the immediate cause (getting to party, have a drink, etc.) and did not consider the full scope of the situation.

This is common in the majority due to conditioning from the media. A good example of this is the average alcohol commercial. In these commercials, you usually see some people having a good time and this and that (promoting projective mind). What they don't show you, are the hangovers and the drunk stumbling, and the countless other dangers that present themselves to drunk individuals (ignoring protective mind).

Yoga and meditation works on and corrects these imbalances in the mind, body and spirit, and allows you to be you to the fullest and not fall prey to your monkey mind. This is what society as a whole needs to embrace. That is soon to be realized, I see the transition happening slowly but surely.
Long story short blame these hoes ?
Each one of those topics shifts attention from the victims and onto something else, and that's not to imply the victims are to blame for some random guy shooting them - that's just to point out that no progress is ever made because no one ever seems to stop and consider the fact that awareness and preparation saves lives more than hospitals, laws, and wishful thinking do. I'm pretty sure if a maniac ran into the bookstore where I work tomorrow and opened fire, none of my co-workers or managers would know how to react or even be aware that someone is walking into the store with a visible firearm in their hands to begin with.

Picking out this bit. Have you ever been shot at? When you don't have a weapon, heroics are a fast way to die. Well, to be fair though, the only heroes are those that do die. The rest are just survivors

I can first-hand tell you what it's like to be shot at. You don't count shells and wait until he's out to ambush him. You don't wait until his back is turned and attempt to bumrush the shooter. You take cover and stay down. That's all you do. If you don't have a weapon, you are toast 99 times out of 100. I was a linguist attache. As far as weapons go, I got jack and shit plus a radio. My job was finding the nearest berm to hide behind and not get shot. Being a hero means getting yourself killed.

Nobody plans to get raped any more than they plan to get shot. At best, you can prepare a woman to not be taken advantage of, but if a crazed gunman's got it out for you, your number is up. If a predator's targeting you, your number is up. The very best you can do is never be alone, and always be with people that you know have your best interests at heart. Unfortunately, this doesn't always work.

Bad shit happens. I agree with a fair bit of what you have to say, for sure. IMO, colleges shouldn't be as involved in the process regarding rape as they are. The minute they get a report, it needs to be handed over to police and hospital staff. Colleges try to keep things behind closed doors for their own interests and it just makes things worse.

A lot of this sexual assault backlash you are seeing I think is mostly due to the outrage against the college campus restricted reporting services that young students are often misled into using. Rape is a criminal matter, not an academic matter. College administration has no business being involved at all except to step the hell out of the way and get the victim to a hospital for a proper rape-kit ASAP.
I wasn't implying people should rush the guy, I was just pointing out that no one is prepared for a shooter period. Also, in the event of running and hiding not being an option, i.e. the shooter barging into a classroom, I would hope the students and faculty not have a "my number is up" attitude. If you can't get away to safety, you indeed may as well go full hero and take your chances lunging chairs or whacking him with a fire hydrant rather than just saying "Shit, my number is up. Oh well, go ahead and put the bullet in me and get it over with." If I'm about to die, I'm going out with a bang both literally and figuratively.

This is even the recommended course of action if you're about to be kidnapped. If a black truck pulls up to the side of you and a guy points a pistol at you and tells you to "Get in", you're most likely going to die if you get in the van anyway, so the best thing to do is to just take your chances outrunning bullets especially considering the fact that the average thug holds his gun like this

and is probably going to miss you anyway. Lol. But once again, a lot of people don't know this, and there were incidents of people just getting into cars/vans anyway. Did they deserve it? No. If they were equipped with knowledge and made a slightly better decision, could they still be alive? There's a good chance.

Also, asking a person who grew up in Detroit if they've ever been shot at is the funniest thing ever.

[Edit] I said fire hydrant instead of extinguisher, lel. If you are strong enough to pull a fire hydrant out of the ground though, by all means do it and use that as an improvised weapon as well.
ET this is not 2006 no one holds their gun like that anymore.
In response to Ganite
Ganite wrote:
ET this is not 2006 no one holds their gun like that anymore.

Don't worry, he's living in a simplified fantasy anyways. This doesn't detract from it.
If people don't hold their guns like that why is there an entire tutorial video made on how to do it

I agree with you fully Empire.
Fact of the matter is that none of you have been in these situations and most of these cases, as Empirez described about his sister occur with trusted friends. Some of these women are overly naive and fall for it quite easily, but most cases are from someone they've known for years and trust as a friend. Some are public figures that are generally trusted(hell, look at just Bill Cosby and Jared of late) and use that trust to take advantage.

Blaming the victim for wanting to believe that people aren't monsters when you think you're in a safe place is somehow agreeable? It's somehow the victim's fault for not being prepared for the chance? If they're drugged already, they're much easier to convince into a secure area and take advantage. It's their fault fault though, taking drinks from people at a party with tons of others around to make you feel safe. Your fault for not slowly introducing bits of the drug into your system beforehand to build up some tolerance. It's your fault for not carrying a gun in a place you would never expect to have to.

Honestly, I don't think any of you actually understand this and are just mindlessly agreeing with Empires because of who he is and how he worded what he's saying. Questioning someone's actions up to being raped is fine, but assuming that things are as black and white is moronic.
In response to NNAAAAHH
NNAAAAHH wrote:
Honestly, I don't think any of you actually understand this and are just mindlessly agreeing with Empires because of who he is and how he worded what he's saying. Questioning someone's actions up to being raped is fine, but assuming that things are as black and white is moronic.

I think for myself, it's common sense not to walk through a ghetto at night.

In response to Kozuma3
In response to NNAAAAHH
NNAAAAHH wrote:
You need only read the second paragraph.

am read am not learn anything useful :B
Knowing where rapes tend to occur, who might be a rapist

https://youtu.be/MrTsuvykUZk?t=8s
In response to Kozuma3
You don't have to walk through a ghetto for something like this to happen... It can happen anywhere..
In response to Ganite
Ganite wrote:
You don't have to walk through a ghetto for something like this to happen... It can happen anywhere..

NNAAAAHH said:
Fact of the matter is that none of you have been in these situations and most of these cases, as Empirez described about his sister occur with trusted friends.

Actually, if you read the post, he stated quite the contrary.

NNAAAAHH said:
[...] but most cases are from someone they've known for years and trust as a friend.

Not at all. You definitely pulled this out of your ass. Please do prove me wrong and cite a credible source(s) that says otherwise though.

NNAAAAHH said:
Some of these women are overly naive and fall for it quite easily, [...]

The rest of your post is entirely contradictory to this line. I'm convinced you don't know your own argument and are arguing just to argue.

NNAAAAHH said:

Bolded: -sarcasm- Because EmpirezTeam's troll-jokester attitude is something the masses look to mindlessly follow -end sarcasm-. No one simply agrees with him because of who he is. I can't speak for anyone else, but I care not of the messenger, only the message; EmpirezTeam's opinion holds no more weight than yours, and I'm sure it's the same way for others here. I'm sure you said that because you didn't read the post and, again, don't know your own argument, so you resorted to making it personal.

Underlined: Obviously, and no one here is assuming it is.

Take the time to read the OP and realize EmpirezTeam actually did make some valid points instead of looking at the poster's name and coming in here with a half-assed stance. That doesn't help you or the people reading your post, it only makes you look asinine. (And that may be the goal of your existence here-- if so, disregard what I said.)
NNAAAAHH wrote:
Fact of the matter is that none of you have been in these situations and most of these cases, as Empirez described about his sister occur with trusted friends.

She made a conscious decision to put her trust into a group of boys she barely knew most likely to "fit in", which was a poor decision.

Some of these women are overly naive and fall for it quite easily, but most cases are from someone they've known for years and trust as a friend.

What you just said was already established in my OP.

Some are public figures that are generally trusted(hell, look at just Bill Cosby and Jared of late) and use that trust to take advantage.

And they're trusted by ignorant people. If you put your trust in someone for the sole reason of them being a "celebrity", that's not 100% Bill Cosby's fault. By shifting 100% blame to Cosby, you're implying the victim's decision making in choosing to trust Cosby in the first place ( for the stupid reason I just pointed out ) was not a contributing factor to the situation, and it was. Now, had Cosby paid people to go randomly abduct girls, inject them with a sedative and bring them back to his place so he could have his way with them, that's a different story.

For example, I like Linkin Park. However, I'm not sure if I'd be okay with going to a party with them and drinking out of whatever random cup they give to me. I'd also be pretty skeptical if Chester asked me to go into a private room with him alone.

Blaming the victim for wanting to believe that people aren't monsters when you think you're in a safe place is somehow agreeable?

Uh, when there's news and videos all across the internet of people being beheaded, stoned and blown to pieces in the name of Allah, yeah, I'm going to conclude any person who's at an age where they can reasonably be expected to know what's happening in the world ( i.e. a college student ) that doesn't know monsters exist is ignorant. Granted, I grew up in Detroit in an apartment complex with bullets flying in every direction with my Mom telling me to "get down" so I came to this conclusion earlier than someone who might have grown up in a gated community in the suburbs and never experienced living in a volatile area, but at some point we have to take some responsibility and make an effort to be a little less oblivious. There's more to life than exams and getting laid. The faster we help people realize that, maybe we can have more people mentally prepared to know a predator when they see one.

If they're drugged already, they're much easier to convince into a secure area and take advantage. It's their fault fault though, taking drinks from people at a party with tons of others around to make you feel safe.

Once again, there's a reason one girl gets taken advantage of while the rest go home safely, and it's not because the predators flipped a coin and chose her at random.

Consider this: even though I grew up in a violent city, bullying was not a common occurrence at my schools. This was because 9 times out of 10, if you put your hands on someone, they'd instantly put up a fight. This is because we were all used to fighting, violence was nothing new to us. We were comfortable throwing down in the middle of class if someone threatened us. This goes back to the video of the lion - a predator targets something that looks like a higher chance of success. If a bully walks into a class and notices that everyone he tries to pick on defends themselves instead of cowering in a corner like a wimp, the bully ceases to exist.

Meanwhile in the suburbs you have bullies beating the crap out of kids, and it's because they don't know how to protect themselves or deal with a violent situation. Their first reaction is to just flee from it and hope it goes away on it's own, but it doesn't. It finally goes away when the individual is taught how to physically and mentally deal with bullying, then they no longer become a victim to the bully and the bully has to find a new target. This is how we need to address all situations. We're focusing too much on the predator and why they do what they do, instead of focusing on how we as prey can not become the ideal victim.

If you grew up with your Uncle all your life and when you turned 9 he gave you some wine to drink and molested you, understandable. If you're 19 and go to a party with a group of guys you met last week and trust them entirely ( please bear in mind that people's definitions of "know" widely vary. there are people from my job who would probably say they "know me" when in reality the only times they see me are when I clock in to work, they have no idea what I do at home or what I'm involved with outside of work, so they don't actually "know" me ) then yeah, that's where I start drawing a line and saying "Yeah, it's pretty shitty you got drugged, but just keep in mind that there are things you could've done to not wind up in that situation."

The sayings "mess with the bull, you get the horns" or "play with fire, you're gonna get burned" are not implying you deserve to get trampled by a bull or have your hand burnt off. It's stating that if you put yourself into dangerous situations, dangerous things are more likely to happen, SO DON'T DO IT. A 19 year old girl in college is responsible for her own safety, it's not the predator's job to make sure she knows what to look out for, that's what SHE should be doing for herself. As far as I'm concerned, unless you've lived with someone for years, you don't know them. Hell, some people have even lived together for several years and STILL don't completely know who they are and end up getting betrayed or killed by that person, so where do young women get off saying they "know" people when in reality they're nothing more than acquaintances they talk to during class? If you're a freshman in college at a party, you do NOT know all those people and even the people you do know aren't people you grew up with since you were a small child.

People see a pretty face and just think "yeah, that person is trustworthy". And that's not an assumption, that's actual research. So, yes, on average, I'm going to conclude that many people ( especially young people in college ) don't make good decisions when it comes to trusting people. Once again, I'm from a neighborhood where trusting people gets you killed, so I might be overly skeptical to an extent, but this doesn't detract from the fact that it would've been a lot easier for me to have been drugged, abducted, or anything if I was a far more trusting person. The point I've been trying to make here is just because someone is preying upon you doesn't mean you have to be easy prey in every situation. If you're sitting on your porch drinking tea and some lunatic hops out of your bushes and shoots you dead, not much you could've done about that. Not going to suggest people walk around wearing bullet-proof armor suits. However, accepting a random drink from someone just because you sat next to them in Chemistry class for a year and they smile a lot... nah.

Honestly, I don't think any of you actually understand this and are just mindlessly agreeing with Empires because of who he is and how he worded what he's saying.

Lmao. I don't know why my arbitrary reputation within this tiny corner of the internet is such a big deal to some of you, but you just do whatever you gotta do to get your point across bro. For the record, Kozuma has disagreed with me several times on this site, your argument is invalid.
In Cosby's case, I'm pretty sure drugging someone sort of tips the balance a bit. That said, without hospital records to prove that you even had that drug in your system, it's sort of one of those things that's hard to weigh any evidence on.
Page: 1 2 3