ID:1957327

Applies to:DM Language

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
How feasible would it be to add a var, preferably a bitmask, that would control when events such as MouseEntered/Exited/Move/etc were sent to the server?
That way one could theoretically add the procs to atom and not have much performance loss if said var was set.
+1

Tom talked about doing this at one point.
There actually is something like this built in already for the mouse procs. Appearances have flags that indicate the presence of these mouse procs (it occurs to me that I need to make sure they don't carry over when setting the appearance var), and there are .dmb-wide flags indicating the presence of the procs for /client.

If the procs are set for /client, then the corresponding mouse commands are always sent. If they're atom-specific, they're only sent when the right atom is involved.

There isn't yet a way however to have the /client procs set and still be selective about the mouse commands, though. If that's what you'd like, I think I need some clarification on how that would look from a syntax standpoint.

[edit]
Correction: There appear to be no atom-specific flags for MouseUp and MouseDown. There are however flags for over/enter/exit (which are all the same command internally), move, and wheel.
Yeah I figure that mouseup/down are always called, but I'm talking about the rest. Not for /client procs because that'd just be too hard for you, hell anyone, to manage a proper implementation. (However, perhaps something like client.setInputMask?)
The rest are already handled. There are flags in the appearance that tell Dream Seeker, if the global flags for /client aren't in play, that the atom uses those particular mouse procs.

I did however correct the appearance var in 509.1305 so it will not change those mouse proc flags when copying an appearance.
Give us a var for setting the atom mouse flags then. That should be the easiest solution that everyone would like.
I'm not sure I follow, though. The flags are set automatically by the presence of the appropriate procs. Can you lay out a scenario for me where that's not the desired behavior, and what you'd prefer instead?
Well, for instance, setting a MouseEnter/Exit on /atom to make it easier to implement a random feature, but not actually wanting it to be called on every atom.
+1 for this, would be hella useful for some recent projects I've been fiddling with.
It's nice just to know that the door is open for this. Technically speaking it doesn't enable more features, it just reduces the number of useless network messages sent.
I ran into a situation needing this again, would it be feasible for 510?
Perhaps also flags on client objects to determine whether or not their mousemove always calls? Hmhm
But why wouldn't you simply define the mouse procs on the type you want to check, rather than trying to add them to all atoms (or a much wider subset of atoms) when they're not needed? The example you gave of how this would be used isn't really a good example, because it's indicative of a design flaw.
Because what if you want to control whether or not some atoms get it called dynamically? Games are ever-changing at runtime, and ways to optimize it at runtime also would be a nice addition.
In my case, I'm using /client/MouseMove to overlay a "cursor" on observers screens, but I only want to do that on specific clients at specific times(eg why do it if noone is observing that player, etc)