ID:1958841

Not a bug
BYOND Version:509 (please use Other... and specify minor build)
Operating System:Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 45.0.2454.101
Applies to:Dream Maker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary: Whenever you use the .. path operator in fexists(), it doesn't go back one directory.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
fexists("../[file]") //Will be false even if file is in that spot

Expected Results:
I expected fexists to check in the directory behind it.

Actual Results:
fexists does not check the directory behind it. Resulting it being false when it should be true

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Everytime
In other games? Yes
In other user accounts? Yes
On other computers? Yes

When does the problem NOT occur? When using single quotations '', but that just saves the file to the .rsc file to be referenced later. I need double quotations cause there are 1000s of files.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.) Not sure.

Workarounds: Use either the current directory or the / root path operator, but this will result the files having to be in the root or must contain the exact same folder names from the root directory. This will make it a pain in a butt to drag the code over to other computers cause I will have to continuously re-change the paths.

Lummox JR resolved issue (Not a bug)
In safe mode, which is the default, a game can't venture outside of its own path tree for file access.