You want to be a great artist? Learn traditional drawing, start pixelling as much as you can for 3 or more years and tada! You will be a decent artist! Maybe even less if you really focus on traditional drawing. Even lesser if you learn 3d so that you know volumes.

I am starting to feel the same way about programming. I wish I knew. But people are so generous sometimes. When I posted ads on TIGForums, Unity, Kongregate, Reddit and IndieDB, I have got so, so many responses that I am astounded! I never expected people responding to a low level artist like me to collaborate on a "Revenue-Share" game!

So the gist of above paragraph is, do not hassle about it. Just keep doing your thing and keep looking. I have seen some really great artists joining unpaid projects because they loved the idea of game.

Have fun brother.
In response to A2J2TIWARI
LoL I feel like that's the magical unicorn. You're also an artist from what I've seen so you probably know more artists than I do. But I guess that's also helpful info. Maybe I should branch out or go back to developing 2-d for Unity since Unity 5 has that new 2-d system.
Damn, how can you look at all those peoples and see those messages :O?

EDIT: NVM! < Nab!
You went way overboard with your response Kumorii, anyone who has read http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1812026 would see that you quitting the project was heavily implied and that would be the message most people got from it.

Most people haven't read every single post in the "Show me what you got" thread, so cut him some slack, he really wasn't that offensive until you called him a liar.

EDIT: As for what the thread was initially about;
The problem with the workload maths on the previous page of this thread is that it doesn't account for wasted work. If you work alone you should theoretically have a much lower unfinished project ratio.

Most pixel artists (not just on BYOND) have most of their work end up being unused on a dead project. The vast majority of the most hyped pixel artists on BYOND haven't actually got a finished game to show for their skills because of all the politics and issues that come with a team.
It's deleted; my bad.

And i understand the mixed messages in that post, however i explicitly said i was unable to work on it due to my job and i wasn't sure if I'd be able to work on it at all - I never said i was abandoning it.
In response to Cranimus
Cranimus wrote:
Most pixel artists (not just on BYOND) have most of their work end up being unused on a dead project.

I wonder why
I think it's often because the programmer has RL issues for 3 weeks but then when he comes back on his schedule is so badly changed that he barely even wants to talk about the project anymore for yet another 3 weeks.

After that, the programmer gets back into the idea of making a game but wants it to be a top-down zombie game instead, something the artist isn't as amused about.

I haven't dealt with anyone as closely since because that just became a demoralising experience and maybe if we didn't become so casual with each other, I might have had more patience (due to less involvement) with your emotional issues and you would have been too unfamiliar with me to have the balls to change the project.
In response to Cranimus
If you would of actually of did your part of the job and I had a reason to continue adding content then I wouldn't of started a side-project for fun as I was waiting for you to finish things.

But it's okay, after speaking to you on skype for said time- you're a self centered prick who thinks WAY to highly of himself.

G'day m8! #lol #datTriggerDoe
Round 2: Kozzy vs. Cranimus!
I can't believe your insulting me personally just because talking about actual events that happened doesn't land favourably on you.

Did you put in the bow and arrow after 2 weeks of having it sent to you? no.

Did you put in the bird enemy after 1 week of having it? no

I did manage to get you to add some of the desert tiles but you totally ignored the underground stuff.

The point is, all Eureka was from a code perspective, was jumping, ladder climbing and an inventory button.

I thought I was always nice and respectful to you despite all of the issues I had with your work ethic toward the end. You never came up with any ideas for actual content, left me to write the progress updates and now I recently hear you sold the game despite it not being entirely yours to sell.
In response to Cranimus
Cranimus wrote:
I can't believe your insulting me personally just because talking about actual events that happened doesn't land favourably on you.
I'm not insulting you.

Did you put in the bow and arrow after 2 weeks of having it sent to you? no.
You mean the bow with missing frames? Oh, and you never did finish that arrow I asked for.

Did you put in the bird enemy after 1 week of having it? no
Didn't I show off the poor AI system I had for flying enemies that still needed worked on?

I did manage to get you to add some of the desert tiles but you totally ignored the underground stuff.
I was working on more important things, like having the game actually be functional and run smoothly.

The point is, all Eureka was from a code perspective, was jumping, ladder climbing and an inventory button.
Again, I wonder why.

I thought I was always nice and respectful to you despite all of the issues I had with your work ethic toward the end.
Work ethic? More like my limitless patience for a narcissistic prick.

You never came up with any ideas for actual content

LOL, Eureka was my idea, you just did the art bud

ALSO, I sold the codez- the art was free ;)

So much drama! :X poor avid :(
oh boy this thread
In response to Yut Put
Yut Put wrote:
oh boy this thread

oh boy, 2 cents!
savages
wtf kozuma you sold eureka D:?
In response to Yut Put
No I wasn't ready.
At all.
-___-

I wasn't trying to be a dick @ Kumorii.
Normally I wouldn't have responded like that, I have high blood pressure (sucks) so sometimes that affects my mood.

On a completely unrelated note-and back on topic I am a pretty consistent programmer. Everyday if not every other day and sometimes more than I probably should.--In response to some of the things @ Cranimus was saying.

It all falls back into ego. Ego isn't necessarily a bad thing, I think in many instances it can hold people back. I'd like to say something like "rather than worry about what this guy does--just focus on your work" but with team effort- when one person isn't doing the bare minimum, it's very hard to do that. Lack of consideration in that case and total ego is what sabotages a project at that point which was one of my original ideas on the matter.

However,even those can be solved. I think people--in general--are too "fake" nowadays. They smile in your face, they want to "seem" positive. They want to "seem" like the cool person, the go to guy--but when it comes down to it their ulterior motives take over and in the end they do what they want. Mis-communications and misinformation get involved. Arguments happen, people fight. All of which could have been avoided if both parties had just been straight forward about their intentions, communicated more, listened and compromised before deciding "well I'll just do what I want."

In short,we as people don't have the luxury to act selfishly when we work with a team. That requires something bigger than most people are willing to give, it's also the bane of even triple A companies. So--it's no surprise to see it here. Most people can't even admit when they are wrong, let alone apologize. Ego.

I can understand both sides really,since I am usually the one who ends up being "responsible".
In response to Cranimus
I've also actually tried to buy art that all these artists seem to just have lying around.
None seem willing to part with it, which makes 0 sense , since they aren't and probably never will actually do anything of use with it.
In response to the original post:

I've always loved doing art so I can't really remember a time where I felt like I needed to force myself to do something for the sake of learning. I think that's one of the most important things you should try to do, you should try to enjoy it and try to do small pieces that you can really take your time on and appreciate. Instead of rushing it for the sake of practice.

One thing that helped me out a lot is just browsing countless amount of quality art(it doesn't have to just be pixel art, just art in general) your brain starts subconsciously absorbing things and before you know it you automatically know what to do. Also, take breaks- long breaks or short breaks just take them. When you come back you'll be much much better.
In response to Exentriks Gaming
The breaks thing you mentioned is very true.
I remember when I first started programming, I did so for about 3-4 months. Then I got a job, didn't touch it again for almost 6 months. When I came back to it everything was just so much more simple. It's like my brain formed a mental file cabinet while I wasn't focused on it. I picked up a lot more so much better(and more quickly).
Page: 1 2 3