ID:1959535

Applies to:

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Sense we can manipulate their sizes its kind of annoying that we can't see them
You can already see bounding boxes... in the icon editor. Draw a rectangle from the lower-left point you want the bounding box to be, to the upper-right point. The coordinates of the pixel under the mouse are shown near the bottom-left of the icon, just above the small icon preview. Those points can be fed into the bounds variable:
bounds = "[x_lo],[y_lo] to [x_hi],[y_hi]"

bound_width, bound_height, bound_x, and bound_y are automatically set by that one statement.

For example, you can set the bounds to be a 24x24 square centered in a 32x32 icon with a single line:
bounds = "5,5 to 28,28"
which is equivalent to:
bound_width = 24
bound_height = 24
bound_x = 4
bound_y = 4
In response to Kaiochao
okay that seems like a lot easier way, didn't know you could do it that way. Though that is still a tedious way to "see" a bound box. Still its a lot better than guess and check thank you!
i think i could acheive it in game pretty easible, but it would be nice to see it in the map editor. Even better, would be able to click on bound boxes in the editor and sliding some bar up and down and we see the box go from small to big. As well as just dragging bound boxes around. The bound boxes have always been not the greatest to work with in comparison to other engines. I know probably only one person works on this byond so its understandable, but whether how easy you guys think it is. I still would prefer to visually represent these concepts and would be nice if even a little of this was built in.

Dont know why you guys just want to except a tedious way when it could be built in and done a lot faster and save you time. I realize lummox probably has a host of other problems that are a bigger priority , but for me this is my biggest pet peeve of the engine which is why im requesting it.
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
You can already see bounding boxes... in the icon editor. Draw a rectangle from the lower-left point you want the bounding box to be, to the upper-right point. The coordinates of the pixel under the mouse are shown near the bottom-left of the icon, just above the small icon preview. Those points can be fed into the bounds variable:
> bounds = "[x_lo],[y_lo] to [x_hi],[y_hi]"
>

bound_width, bound_height, bound_x, and bound_y are automatically set by that one statement.

For example, you can set the bounds to be a 24x24 square centered in a 32x32 icon with a single line:
> bounds = "5,5 to 28,28"
>
which is equivalent to:
> bound_width = 24
> bound_height = 24
> bound_x = 4
> bound_y = 4
>

I didn't know you could do this! That's awesome to know!
The bounds var is undocumented, but it's the one that actually counts. The other vars are basically aliases for it.