In response to Exentriks Gaming
Actually, you may be surprised on that. Just off the top of my head and from quick glances lets see...

Action: Decadence
Adventure: Rise of The Pirates (Albeit iffy)
Arcade: Wolf-Pack Battalion
Battle: Footrace for The Holy Grail
Board Game: Startegem
Casual: CQ: BYOND or Omega Mall
Fantasy: NEStalgia
Puzzle: Alchemist: Classic
PvP: Dragon-Ki (There's probably way better options)
RPG: Eternia: Roleplay
Scifi: Space Station 13
Shooter: Feed or Skirmish
Side-Scroller: Purgatory or FART
Strategy: Ultimatum or Castle or Last Robot Standing
Survival: The Last Conflict

And there you have at least one for almost every category BYOND's page initially shows, and it also includes almost all the best games BYOND has ever seen fully released! Many of which rarely see any advertisement/attention anymore! (Games like Spirit Age not included due to limited content/playability)
In response to Toddab503
Ah I see what you mean now, I thought you meant putting 10 for each category. This may be a bit difficult to pull off but it could actually work very well
In response to Konlet
Konlet wrote:
In my opinion, it'd be very supportive to show the CURRENT fastest-growing game(s) on a featured page, maybe 4, and then the most popular games overall.

This sounds good, although the fastest growing games would probably need less publicity than other games but it doesn't sound half bad. As far as the most popular games overall- that's pretty much how it is setup now and the most popular games currently are the trashy DBZ games.
Oh definitely not. Unfortunately, BYOND cannot nearly support that many. Maybe someday (Hopefully!) but for now I think this would be highly effective.

Also. The problem with Konlets idea is that's pretty much how it was. Anime games used to be more hidden, and the top games stayed just like they are now except it might not of featured Dragon Universe, Rampage, Dragon-Ki etc.

Honestly while I do feel more of the really well done games need to be showcased more, I think it would also be good to do something for anime just to give them something to strive for so maybe they'll produce something less people hate to see up there.

It has been discussed a lot lately that if a genuinely good titan showed up in categories like DBZ, it would crush a lot of these more frustrating games and unify players. I wish this would happen. I would love to make it happen myself in fact, but even if I am capable (hard to say without trying) I lack the time something like that requires to accomplish.
Exentriks Gaming wrote:
Ghost of ET wrote:
http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1959510

We already have a featured list monthly it's called within byond o.O rite?

I like the idea you proposed there, although I think each category should have its own 3-5 featured games in there to showcase the best in each category. Within BYOND is an initiative to expose development but it doesn't achieve what I'm proposing here.

Maybe have a feature where people can vote for their favorite game of that genre.
In response to Toddab503
Only issue with creating a "titan" in the dbz category, is every ounce of work put in would be without profit, for free. No value to anyone that worked on it. You can't put illegally done work on a resume and can't legally profit off the game. It is in no way worth the effort to make a fan game, which is why they all end up in this rut of overly poor quality and/or abandonment.
In response to NNAAAAHH
Well I am well aware of that issue. I'd say it's why a lot of the best developers around here aren't tackling it, but it isn't why there is overly poor quality and/or abandonment. Those come from the people making them being more interested in having or owning the game than making it, and/or how inexperienced and such they are.

Basically anyone good enough to do it well, doesn't because it is so non-profit. The sad thing is it won't even work to make something similar to DBZ, yet legal, because fans are instantly turned off by even the slightest differences from the series.

That being said, if I had the time I would still give it a try just to try and help BYOND and potentially see the fan games stop being so displeasing.
In response to Toddab503
Aye, that's the reasoning for some of these abandoned projects, but having seen several groups of actual talent working on anime-based games get so far along and just stop seemingly right after they made some progress, because they couldn't afford to work on something for free any more.

Most of the games that get completed are pretty bad and are often released/leaked; where the people more interested in "owning" a game get a hold of it, move source away from the hub, and pretend the game's completely different.
Game of the month, if in 6 months it has to start repeating games it'll just be a sign we need to do more.

I just want to point out that the majority of us who have probably made money off of BYOND started with playing and/or making a fan game first, its not that people/developers dislike fan games, its that when US license giants commit to cease and desist orders on content they didn't even make themselves because it came from Japan, it doesn't help to continually attempt to make a stand on it. Its a battle we aren't going to win, its not even a battle that is worth winning.

Fangames gets plenty of exposure even without being publicly listed, what many of us would like however is to turn these skills away from things we can't profit from, to those that we can, and that means making original content that people want to play; and hopefully pay to play.

I found the majority of players on Wargames from recent years came from anime fangames which is sections of BYOND I don't even touch, yet they still found their way to other games on the site, and I'm sure many other developers can say similar things. Will we get them all? No, but many do switch over to original games when they want to try something fresh. I don't want to stop people making fangames, I don't hate people who make fangames, I started by making fangames myself, I want it to continue so it translates to other games, games we can make money on.
I'm annoyed rips are even on the hub at all, I thought we were past this years ago.
In response to Bumblemore
Lummox doesn't care anymore EleGiggle
Lets stop focusing on what others are making and build something ourselves? The rips aren't the problem, the problem is there isn't really any original and "fun" games worth playing.
#MostBYONDDevelopersProcrastinate2K15
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:
Lets stop focusing on what others are making and build something ourselves? The rips aren't the problem, the problem is there isn't really any original and "fun" games worth playing.

You're onto something.
I would like to clarify that I personally encourage all games, be it fan games or original games- As long as they are making the most out of this engine and representing it in a proper and professional manner. The only problem is that as of right now all the fan games and some original games that are on the front page are horrible.

The whole point was to have a list of games we could be proud of as a site and would represent us properly when new developers and players visited. Just a nice list of games that gave off the right impression of what this engine can do... From the looks of it, there doesn't seem to be enough support(I honestly don't see why, there is no negative outcome from doing this) so I don't think there's really any point in continuing this discussion.
Exentriks Gaming wrote:
From the looks of it, there doesn't seem to be enough support(I honestly don't see why, there is no negative outcome from doing this)

We've done it before and it was pretty much forgotten about after a month unless you were among the 1% that actually had endeavors to get on it(or the skillset for that matter). That coupled with the usual "let's all bitch about the feature we wanted but now that we have it, its not good enough!" blowback.

I'd be nice, but we're much better off letting Lummy continue working his magic with the actual software. (;

so I don't think there's really any point in continuing this discussion.

There was a time when the front page was like that. When listing was very strict, only original games(be it fangame or original) were allowed to be on the hub. All those games don't have players right now, yet the most popular games are still zeta rips. Trust me when I say if your game isn't a fangame or a strict RP game, no matter how much byond cosigns your project its not going to get anymore players. This isn't a case of byond not promoting the right games because most of the people on byond want to play a certain type of game and byond can only really promote to that crowd.

So now byond takes a "the customer is always right" kind of approach and the popular games are the ones that are at the top. Putting a game like Decadence at the top of the main page isn't going to get it much players, if any at all. So yeah, its discouraging. If your game isn't a specific type of game, no matter how well its made people on byond just aren't going to play it regardless of how well its advertised to byond players. If you really want an impact, find other communities to advertise your game.
From what I'm seeing and hearing around. A few of us have kinda all grabbed onto the idea that BYOND doesn't have too many truly competitive games, which i think will be an excellent edition.
In response to Kats
Kats wrote:
From what I'm seeing and hearing around. A few of us have kinda all grabbed onto the idea that BYOND doesn't have too many truly competitive games, which i think will be an excellent edition.

Tanks seem competitive o.O.
In response to Ghost of ET
I haven't had the chance to play it, yet! I just might sometime soon.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6