The Untold Kingdoms

by Wikked_Klwn420
The Untold Kingdoms
New original open world semi sandbox Medieval RPG seen never before!
ID:1960674

I will be opening the game to the public today for a few hours while I am gone today. It will be open to everyone and anyone who wants to join and try out what is ingame right now. Please note that if you do join, it is really early testing, and still ALOT that needs to be done before stuff is polished up. This testing will be pretty much for opinions and debugging.

If you play and come across any bugs or exploits, please post them here and I will get to working on them when I get the time.

Please be sure to read the Game Information window that comes up when you login, it will tell you all the basic stuff you need to know to get started. If this window does not pop up, you can bring it up at any given time ingame by pressing ' \ ' key.

Have fun, and give me some feedback. ^.^ (Don't mind some of the art, either unfinished or placeholders, also my character base is unfinished so be prepared for flickering states.)
Yut Put wrote:
well... it's... a game...

cool
Well, not everyone is the best right? It is a game, and it's actually coming along quite nicely. Graphics need some good tweaking; it's definitely not the best looking right now. But besides that everything is working solid so far on my end (Coding wise, I don't do art).
Yut Put wrote:
it was very laggy and the combat was very non interactive

Yeah I know that. Why I said it was for debugging purposes, even though I didn't have any problems while it was up, besides realizing some resolution issues, not to mention I was hosting it on my laptop which is a piece of shit, I'm not surprised it was somewhat laggy. The combat isn't finished yet, of course it's not going to be that good. It wasn't even ready for open testing. I figured I'd just open for fun. But like I said, not everyone is the best. I've seen your work, I know your 'better' than me, I could care less. But that doesn't mean I don't try to do my best. I love what I do, and I am going to continue doing it. I've been coding on and off for about 10 years here on byond, I might not know everything or be as good as most people, But I know enough to get me by for what I want. Don't like the game? Don't play it. Feedback like "Well....It's...a game." Isn't really feedback, that's just being a dick in a semi non dickish way. Could have just started with that it was 'Laggy and combat was non interactive, and could use some work' That would have been perfectly fine with me.
Yut Put wrote:
well... it's... a game...

Yut Put wrote:
it was very laggy and the combat was very non interactive

It is a game, but you need to take into consideration that this is no where near complete. It is technically not even an alpha. As early as it is, you can expect a lot of issues. It may be a game, but is not playable as one.

He opened up a server, to get debug information. Just because, something will work for you does not mean it will work for someone else. He had valid reasoning for opening it for a short period of time.

As for the lag and combat, performance depends on many factors, which you should know being a developer yourself. Therefor depending on computer specs, internet speed, and programming, it could be "laggy" for a variety of reasons.

Now on to your comment about combat. Being in early development as it is, once again you can expect issues. The publicly available combat is not the way combat is going to be in release. Interactivity is a crucial part of good gameplay. Any developer should know that. I read the post you made last night as well.

Yut Put wrote:
to be completely honest this is one of the lower quality pieces of art i have seen on this forum The line work is jagged and looks like it was improvised in MS paint using a touch pad and 50% zoom. All of the colors look like they were then hashed in using photoshop or some equivalent and a healthy dose of the blur tool. Overall, no craftsmanship is present and it looks like this is the artist's first time using image editing software. In addition to this, principles of design are completely gone and out the window. I'm honestly not sure what qualifies your artist to make art for games, and why you wouldn't just do it yourself, because literally anybody with a mouse and eyeballs could create something significantly better than this. I have no idea what I'm looking at, beyond the obvious stat bars and name display, which would overall just look better standing alone than with that... thing behind them. I'd have your artist look up what actual game HUDs look like, decide on what type of game yours is, and come up with a simple but effective design that conservatively uses images to only convey to the user what it needs to convey example: diablo

You were trying to give criticism and feedback on the HUD. You started out okay in giving proper feedback, but then it seemed like you had a grudge and were kind of taking it personal. One of the lines I am referring to is this one.

"I'm honestly not sure what qualifies your artist to make art for games, and why you wouldn't just do it yourself, because literally anybody with a mouse and eyeballs could create something significantly better than this."

That is not criticism. That is called being an ass.

The first two sentences of your post, were a proper professional feedback.

"The line work is jagged and looks like it was improvised in MS paint using a touch pad and 50% zoom. All of the colors look like they were then hashed in using photoshop or some equivalent and a healthy dose of the blur tool. Overall, no craftsmanship is present and it looks like this is the artist's first time using image editing software."

So were the last two.

"I have no idea what I'm looking at, beyond the obvious stat bars and name display, which would overall just look better standing alone than with that... thing behind them. I'd have your artist look up what actual game HUDs look like, decide on what type of game yours is, and come up with a simple but effective design that conservatively uses images to only convey to the user what it needs to convey"

Being that it was kind of harsh and how you handled this thread. It could be very well interpreted as you just "Bashing" on the game.