ID:1968281

I loved being on this site as a kid, and I hope others get as much enjoyment out of it as I did (so long as Tom keeps it self sustainable). But just remember kids

Hi, Cyberlord.
Just leave BYOND. There's nothing of value here. Unless you want to troll. Then you can do what EmpirezTeam does and just become 'that guy'.
Or you can be Lugia and hate on the game engine just because you really, really suck at programming and game development in general.
In response to Kats
Kats wrote:
Or you can be Lugia and hate on the game engine just because you really, really suck at programming and game development in general.

Or you can hate on the game engine for...

1. Lack of client-sided processing
2. Lack of quality resources
3. Inefficiency compared to other languages
4. Lack of "real world" application
5. Lack of developer support
6. Promoting illegal games

Youtube won't put ads on your videos unless they're giving you money. BYOND? You get an ad just for logging in. Unity and UE don't do this.

Let's also consider the fact that there's nothing you can natively do in BYOND that other engines (UE and Unity come to mind) do not do natively. There are, however, SEVERAL things that Unity and UE do that BYOND doesn't do natively (Quaternions come to mind).

In a nutshell, BYOND just sucks.
In response to Kats
Kats wrote:

In response to NNAAAAHH
NNAAAAHH wrote:
Kats wrote:

Even if you think I suck in game development, my work is on its way to getting published. And I'd rather be published than to have a BYOND game. Having a BYOND game is like having a bit of cheese to call your own in the dumpster that is BYOND.

In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Having a BYOND game is like having a bit of cheese to call your own in the dumpster that is BYOND.

ONE OF US, ONE OF US

In response to Kozuma3
I could take them down, but I chose not to because some people want them to stay up. They're getting a few downloads a week. I don't even have the code bases to them anymore so they're gonna stay the way they are. Got rid of all the shite that is BYOND on my computers.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Got rid of all the shite that is BYOND on my computers.

It's in your browser history, GG
Lugia, you lack skill and creativity in game design because you purposefully blame the engine for your own shortcomings. Instead of working to fix those shortcoming, you choose to blame something else on your own problems and call it a flaw in the system.

It's kinda sad, actually and I've really stopped trying to hate on you for a while now. Most of us have. A lot of us kinda feel bad that someone can be stuck so far up their own ass to realize that they suck harder than a championship fellatio tournament...
In response to Kats
No, I blame the engine for not meeting me halfway (it doesn't). I've got a small space sim going on in Unity (sadly had to drop it since I'm in grad school). It works beautifully and BYOND can't do it because BYOND lacks the functionality necessary. There is literally nothing BYOND does that Unity doesn't do better.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Or you can hate on the game engine for...

Instead of bashing/trolling you, I figured I'd try engaging in an actual conversation with you.

1. Lack of client-sided processing

IIRC, we have very limited support for this.

2. Lack of quality resources

It's not really the game engine's job to provide resources, though. It would be nice to have a store on the website for resources, similar to Unity's set up, but it's definitely not a con towards the engine itself as it has nothing to do with the engine.

3. Inefficiency compared to other languages

You got us there.

4. Lack of "real world" application

Sorry, but this one is lawl-worthy in itself. It's very close-minded. I'll leave it at that.

5. Lack of developer support

Lummox has been working on the engine nonstop as of late. I have a feeling this one was just thrown in the mix for the lawls. If anything, for the sake of relevance, you could make a comment at the website taking a backseat in terms of priority, but the engine has been worked on heavily since Lummox took charge.

6. Promoting illegal games

I had a feeling this one would come up. I was originally made a moderator to "police" hub submissions, labeling original and fan games alike -- as well as rejecting fan games based on certain IP and fan games that used stolen artwork/sources.

To shorten the trip down memory lane, as well as to limit to horrifying flashbacks, it ended with... actually you were around for it, so you know how it ended: "Nazi Mods", "Bias Mods", and "Ermahgerd tellin' Tom, have your badge in the morning!" threads.

We slowly moved away from policing hubs, to the point where we only judge based on the hub content. BYOND can't police what people do with the engine, they can only police the content on the website. Also, when I say "we" I mean BYOND moderators excluding myself because I ain't about that lyfe no moar.

Youtube won't put ads on your videos unless they're giving you money. BYOND? You get an ad just for logging in. Unity and UE don't do this.

Should've made this number 7 because the ads do bother me. We'll make it number 7 for the sake of argument.

Let's also consider the fact that there's nothing you can natively do in BYOND that other engines (UE and Unity come to mind) do not do natively. There are, however, SEVERAL things that Unity and UE do that BYOND doesn't do natively (Quaternions come to mind).

Number 8? I had something witty to say, but you've pretty much got it right. The only thing I can think of that BYOND has on other languages is that it's easy for anyone to pick up, has built-in networking, and proof of concepts can be made in shorter time.

In a nutshell, BYOND just sucks.

As an engine, it's not as bad as you make it out to be. It's far from perfect, but some of your dislikes about the "game engine" aren't really about the game engine and more about hating something you've grown tired of over the years, whatever that may be.

So I'm going to go ahead and count it as 8 reasons why you hate BYOND, but I only see 3/8 - maybe 4/8 at best - of your points having any real substance. I don't have anything bad to say about that, really. You could try looking into making requests to fix those issues, but half of your issues with the engine will always be there ( points 3 and 8 ).
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
No, I blame the engine for not meeting me halfway (it doesn't).

I guess if that's how you wanna justify it.
In response to Kozuma3
BYOND games on Steam: 2
Unity games on Steam: more than a hundred
RPG maker games on steam: Probably about a hundred
UE games on steam: 3 I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure that there are more.

I'm sure that the reason these developers chose these other IDEs is because they didn't know about DM instead of these other IDEs being better.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
BYOND games on Steam: 2
Unity games on Steam: more than a hundred
RPG maker games on steam: Probably about a hundred
UE games on steam: 3 I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure that there are more.

I'm sure that the reason these developers chose these other IDEs is because they didn't know about DM instead of these other IDEs being better.

Yet you're complaining instead of making progress?
In response to Kozuma3
I don't have time to program for my RA AND BYOND BrokeBack Besides, I wouldn't use BYOND again unless they really stepped up the language.
Then why the hell are you here if you're just going to complain about it?

Wait don't say it.

To troll those of us that stick around because we actually like BYOND. Don't yuck our yum, bro.
Why the fuck are you still here then Lugia?
In response to Pokemon Entertainment
There's no reason for me to not be here. I still have plenty of programming experience I could divulge if prompted to do so. Besides, I might be able to convince a few people that Unity is better if they just get past the (very mild) learning curve.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6