Oh BYOND, the site of "if your opinion is different than mine, you're wrong! and I'm going to bash you for it!!" I get lots of amusement out of this site, thanks Lugia for keeping it real.
Herpderp wrote:
Unity and UE can both do MUDs and sooooo much more.

...Who in their right mind would write a MUD in UE or Unity?

Lugia, The furthest you ever got on a game was broken built-in pathfinding and a bunch of log dummies with damage text numbers floating when you hit them.

The engine couldn't meet you half way, because you saw limitations and threw a temper tantrum.

First-person shooter made with BYOND in 36 hours:

http://www.byond.com/games/Ter13/DawnCasterInfestation

Your argument is invalid, you lose, you suck at life. Go home, shut the fuck up.

Just because you lack the skill and imagination to do something because there's a slight limitation to what you are working with doesn't mean the engine is to blame. Every engine has limitations. Every engine has a niche. You just have to pick which limitations you can live with.

D4RK3 and I have spent quite a fair bit of time making BYOND as an engine our bitch in terms of bending and breaking limitations. You've made a couple of shitty MS-paint default palette "games" that barely function, and you want to complain about how limited your grand design is?

Seriously. You are literally the last person that has any room to complain about how BYOND is limiting your personal progression. Actually mentally disabled children have gotten further making games than you. The hub has ample proof of that.

$5 says you haven't even managed to get ANYTHING resembling a game working in Unity or Unreal either.
In response to Ter13
"Just because you can cut a steak with a spoon, doesn't mean you SHOULD"

Unity has 2D support, and handles MUDs quite nicely. UE can make the very same game you posted but it probably supports more players.

D4RK3 and I have spent quite a fair bit of time making BYOND as an engine our bitch in terms of bending and breaking limitations

You should never have to make the engine work for you. If you are, then you're using the wrong engine.

$5 says you haven't even managed to get ANYTHING resembling a game working in Unity or Unreal either.

Pay up.
In response to Lugia319
I would love to know what kind of fantasy world you live in on a daily basis... If the engine does all the work for you, then you're probably not actually doing anything at all. The point is to push limitations and express just truly what's possible on it. You seem to have some ridiculous idea that game engines should have a "Make Gaem" button printed on them so you can just push and out pops the next Call of Duty.

You want the easy road because you're lazy. You want the engine to do everything for you because you have no clue what you're doing and you're too stuck up your own ass to ask for help. And at this point, no one wants to help you, Lugia. You are a joke of a game developer and if you have anything to say against that, I dare you to post a link to it and prove that you're not as stupid as everyone thinks you are.
You should never have to make the engine work for you. If you are, then you're using the wrong engine.

Sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of my dick slapping you in the face.

/thread

Eat shit, Lugia. You are a joke.
Wait, what. You'd use UE or Unity for a... MUD?

What??

That would be like cutting a steak with a chainsaw.
In response to Doohl
Unity handles MUDs quite well.
In response to Lugia319
I'm sure it does, yeah. That's not the problem, though.
Why can't we vote to just have Lugia removed... Don't know why that hasn't been done when he's stated BYOND is shit and he has no reason to be here.
In response to Pokemon Entertainment
Pokemon Entertainment wrote:
Why can't we vote to just have Lugia removed... Don't know why that hasn't been done when he's stated BYOND is shit and he has no reason to be here.

The BYOND forums have always irked me in the sense that they don't really seem moderated. In most communities, toxic members that have made it clear they're around to cause trouble are dealt with... but here, Lugia has been posting like this for, what, over a year? And nothing's really been done outside of a few temporary bans that don't address the core issue: he's uninformed, disruptive, and an annoyance that isn't going to change any time soon.

Throw a permanent ban on him and any future keys that attempt to avoid it, IMO. Nobody will miss him and judging from his hubs, nor his games.
Hello BYOND...I see your still...yeah..

I've got a bone to pick with you Lugia!

I can see this has come to blades, but I felt like commenting, so please bear with my random post.

So Lugia!

As a developer, you are free to choose whatever tool you want to work with.

DM is quirky, but it has quite a bit of charm to the beginner or hobbyist. So while you as a developer may not prefer it, others certainly will and do.

BYOND, UE, Unity ect. is the right tool for you if you prefer to work with it. I may prefer using a sword and shield, while you prefer the daggers - fine! go ahead!

However..

Lugia319 wrote:
There's no reason for me to not be here. I still have plenty of programming experience I could divulge if prompted to do so. Besides, I might be able to convince a few people that Unity is better if they just get past the (very mild) learning curve.

if your only reasoning for being here is so you can snatch developers away from the engine or to "share your wisdom with the masses" then your kind of being an ass to everyone here, and quite arrogant.

The guys here work on their projects with love in their hearts and ambition in their eyes, so let it be and move on. You shouldn't stick around just to point out the freckles on peoples faces.

TL:DR;Just because you do not find the merit in something does not mean it is not there.

Happy hacking everyone~

P.S. sorry for contributing to derail.
Why can't we vote to just have Lugia removed

The esteemed pokemon fan has brought forward a motion for immediate consideration of all delegates and horse enthusiasts. All in favor say "Aye".

Aye.
In response to Ter13
You already tried this witch hunt like a year ago and it failed BrokeBack

I'm not here to "snatch" developers, but I'll gladly show them that there's an alternative.
Aye. Thou shalt be smited by King arceus junior.
god, I love ter
You already tried this witch hunt like a year ago and it failed BrokeBack

Lol, you realize that calling a genderqueer "BrokeBack" is basically the equivalent of calling a gay man a cocksucker, right?

No shit I'm a brokeback. I wear makeup and women's clothing you idiot.
I don't understand what BrokeBack means.
In response to Doohl
Doohl wrote:

4chan slang for faggot or a feminine dude.
In response to Doohl
Doohl wrote:

It's actually a twitch emote I'm used to spamming on reddit.

I really don't care about your sexual orientation.
In response to Ter13
Aye

After logging out and reading his posts again, I'd like to point out you could all "Block The Issue!". It's obviously not enough to send him away, but the more that do it the less we see of him, just saiyan. Get it?? Cause I had a zeta rip? Es funny, senior. Wish I knew the proper accents for spanishio spelling.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6