ID:1971583

I've designed my battle system with units having HP/Atk/Def... when Hp==0 unit gets deleted. A unit can attack and defend if defense successful no damage is dealt.

In my game units move grouped together in formations of 1-40 men. Now when you click an enemy regiment with your regiment selected I want it to move there and my regiment units attack the enemy. But how do I do that??? (the battle part, it moves there just fine)

I mean should the formation be broken and have the units attack the closest enemy unit?? Or only the 1st row attacks while retaining the formation??

And what else should I be careful with??

Btw Im really surprised that byond handles so many mobs without lagging so far I've tested 200 mobs moving simultaneously and works without lagging. If byond supported 3d graphics and had some more libraries, it could be one of the greatest game engines.

Edit: When I say how do I do that I dont mean an attack proc between 2 mobs, but organizing the combat part.
Hi,

This thread should be in Design Philosophy.

Developer Help is the forum for help with the actual game development rather than concepts. Good luck!
I suppose it depends on what weapons your regiments have. If we are talking melee units, just maintain formation for a head on attack, but for guns or something, I would probably have them find cover, because things dont go well when two walls of gun toting soldiers just face each other