ID:1976230

BYOND Version:509.1312
Operating System:Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 46.0.2490.80
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Client-side lag and system ding sounds play when you hold macros a certain way.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Set macros for a modifier key and a letter key, e.g. shift and d (separately, not shift+d)
2. Click on the map control
3. Hold the modifier key
4. Hold the letter key (this doesn't occur for arrow keys)
5. After about a second, this problem starts happening. The ding sound might not play until either key is released.

I don't think it's new to 509.

A quirk regarding the arrow keys: if you do this with arrow keys, then do it with letter keys, the problem won't happen unless you click on the map control again.

Another quirk with arrow keys: if you hold a modifier key, then an arrow key, wait a bit, then release the modifier key, the arrow key's key-up event will fire as well, even though the arrow key might still be down.
A nice big juicy +1
Bump why hasn't this issue been looked at yet.
I'm not actually certain this is a bug; it could be a limitation of common keyboards. Since I use a gaming keyboard it might be hard to catch. I'll take a look at it soon, though.
This is indeed an issue with most keyboards, even on-board laptop keyboards still use the old ass PS/2 interface (touchpads do too), so you end up being limited to 2-4 keys down at any given time before the system starts yelling at you for overloading things. Things like arrow keys tend to bypass the limit though.

USB keyboards got rid of this limitation for the most part, and gaming keyboards don't really employ it at all in most cases.

It's only been recently that work has been done to increase the limits of the PS/2 interface. Windows 7 only let me hold 3 keys on my laptop at once, Windows 10 allows upwards of 7.
This isn't an issue of having too many keys down at once. It happens with just shift and a letter being held. I'm using a USB mechanical keyboard.
Any chance you have a test project for this? The fact that it's never shown up in my test project, which has all kinds of macros and in which I've tested things with Ctrl and letter keys, seems pretty glaring. I feel like I'm missing part of the puzzle.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR changed status to 'Unverified'
The test project doesn't reproduce this for me.
I get a ding, too. I'm using a standard HP Keyboard, and it uses a USB interface.

Surely you've got another keyboard laying around, Lummox.
If it is a keyboard hardware limitation, then there's absolutely nothing I can do about it. If it's software, then I need a way to reproduce the problem and it should happen on any keyboard.
Depending on the ding sound(is it the windows asterisk or just a boop?) the issue is usually caused by the keyboard wiring matrix clashing, but usually buttons like shift, arrow keys are individual buttons instead of matrixed.
I'm using a 24 N-Key rollover Ducky Legend USB Mechanical Keyboard (TM).

I get dings.

If I use a different, still gaming keyboard, I get dings.

If I use a ps/2 keyboard, I get dings.

If I use a non-gaming USB keyboard (x2), I get dings.

Maybe it's a Windows thing?

This also made me realize how many spare keyboards I have, lol.
My suggestion would be to open up the mixer panel in windows (the one that shows you the volumes for all the applications.

and find out what application the ding is coming from by looking for the sound bar moving as an application plays a sound.

if none, then its some odd ass bios limitation, and you need to update/install chipset drivers for your motherboard
My PC is custom built and completely up to date. Just built it a few months ago and I do routine checks for driver updates.
Reviving this topic because I have new information. I've tested this thoroughly tonight because I started getting the same issue.

What I found is that it only occurs when the map is in a panel and that panel is used in a child.

You can reproduce this using W,A,S,D macros and holding them down together with that child setup. Should go DING
Solution Found: Make the pane your map is in 'disabled'

This applies to the default skin as well. The default skin does not make the pane for the map disabled. (Also for lummox to think if you want to make that standard now)
In response to Zecronious
Zecronious wrote:
Solution Found: Make the pane your map is in 'disabled'

This applies to the default skin as well. The default skin does not make the pane for the map disabled. (Also for lummox to think if you want to make that standard now)

Confirmed. Was getting constant dings with a macro that isn't set to 'repeat', but this helped.
Turns out this is a bad workaround though. Features such as clicking/double-clicking stop working.

So... yeah. Not viable.
Page: 1 2