ID:1976650

Poll: Should I Make A Sword Art Online Game

Yes 22% (6)
No 77% (21)

Login to vote.

Would a Sword Art Online Game Be Nice i Mean I Really Want you Guys Suggestions ;D
While I do appreciate SAO (at least the Aincrad arc), I don't really understand the desire to build games around it. SAO as a game is very generic and uninteresting. The only reason the show is interesting is due to the premise of it being virtual reality, the people being trapped in it, and everyone's mental and interpersonal struggles to deal with that. Alfheim has some interesting ideas, but again it's mostly interesting due to being virtual reality.
In response to Fugsnarf
You right but that's why I plan on my little twist on things ya know spice it up a bit lol and I mean hey I like seeing new things and I rarely see a decent SAO Game on Byond ;D But thanks for the reply man
SAO had horrible writing, horrible characters, horrible character development, the spurned women club exists only so Asuna can taunt the other girls at what she possesses that they do not, and all-around just not a good anime. Plot holes, inconsistency, poorly developed motivations, illogical motivations... etc.

SAO started with a nice premise but failed to execute and turned into a generic fantasy anime. So yeah, I mean any generic fantasy game could be SAO, you can't tell the difference.
In response to Lugia319
While I agree with a lot of your statements (though I might phrase them differently), for some reason I really like the anime. Honestly, I'm not sure why. Maybe the same reason I like Gurren Lagann a lot. Yeah, it's dumb, but it's fun. So I understand why there are so many fans of SAO.
SAO and Byond don't mix well... long story short the idea of basing a game of a game within a anime sounds dumb.

just make a original MMO thats all SAO is.
In response to Fugsnarf
I mean, it's not so bad. You could live with it. I guess my main complaint is that I feel like it promised more than it gave. I feel like it promised this intense life or death game where you have to play for realz at all times and eventually turned into a harem anime. A lot of times where I find myself beginning to actually like the anime something happens which brings the cynic back out. Like Sugu had some interesting lines and an interesting story to work out about how someone disenchants themselves from the person they've liked for so long. How do you gain independence? But it just sorta fell flat. She doesn't seem to be disenchanted. Better off, sure, but that arc never got completed. Same deal with Shinon. Shinon had a good premise to start out from (however contrived it may have been, but okay, I can live with it). And eventually she just changes from the independent thinker from episode one into a little pansy that's following Kazuto like a lost puppy. What the $#@!.

Also the rapist bad guy thing is pretty horrible to watch. I saw it the first time and I was disgusted with having to go through that. Then it happens again and I'm like "other types of antagonists exist, you know". Like I forget his name but the first guy, the creator of SAO, that guy was not so bad as villains go. Sure he was going for a cliche line, but it fit within the (new) boundaries set by the anime (after it forgot it was supposed to be horror, or at least mildly dark).
The problem I have with everyone asking if they should create X game based on Y IP is that at the end of the day, the IP is pretty much just a skin to go over it.

Stop worrying about what the game is about and just worry about whether or not it's fun. Whether or not the mechanics and systems facilitate the right kinds of stimulations. Once you've figured that out, then add the flavor.

You don't start building a house by painting it first.
My 2C is that the nexus would be virtual as well, but divided and united between both sides.

Also, that's what byond is for, to make any game. But seeing the votes, it's rather clear you should only make it for yourself.
Kirito bangs Asuna every night in a log cabin. Your argument is invalid, Lugia.
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Your argument is invalid, Lugia.

Story of his life.
In response to Developous
I'd argue that all games should be made for yourself first before considering an outside audience, otherwise the game will very likely lack inspiration, creativity, etc.

So, regardless of the votes, the OP should make what he/she wants to make, not what everyone else wants him/her to make. (Moral of this post: these types of posts aren't useful and you should just do it - whatever it is.)
In response to EmpirezTeam
I maintain that Kirito and Klein banged first :^)
I wondered how sex worked in that game, the anime never went over sexual intercourse, however the novels did. It is very similar to how duels work.
In response to Rocknet
Rocknet wrote:
I wondered how sex worked in that game, the anime never went over sexual intercourse, however the novels did. It is very similar to how duels work.

[Citation needed]
Sorry I was wrong, sex in the game has to do with some kind of "ethics code" that wasn't gone so deep into. It is breezed over in Volume 1, Chapter 16.5.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwyW7ZpWYsQBaThmR0Foa2ZfOG8/ edit?pli=1

Now, this is practically fan fiction that was written by the author, I consider it canon.

http://imgur.com/E43SxHM

this is an old screenshot that at least shows 16.5 was on the site of the creator, I am trying to go through their site http://wordgear.sblo.jp/ but I have no idea what I am doing.

The ethics code thing probably shows up in some other places, but once it gets disabled I guess you can get your sex on.
My girlfriend has the novels on her kindle so I will have to ask her to grab some excerpts or whatnot for me if she can recall them.
The anime was adopted from the web novels (themselves never being entered in the contest they were intended for) so the author isn't writing fan fiction, that's the source material.
It was located under the "fan fiction" segment of his site.