ID:1977631

Just wondering if anybody in the history of Byond has ever made 100 bands from a single Byond game. Not from several games accumulated together, just from 1 single project. And was it either an Anime/Fangame or Original idea (Just to know, not to offend cause anything seems offensive on the internet)
B-bands?
Do you mean dollars (or whatever your local currency is)? If so, yeah. Plenty.
1 Band = 1000 dollars
that's a grand, son
They both mean the same thing
I think NEStalgia's the only game thus far to have made anywhere near $100,000.
Just one?
wrong... dragon ball heroes united made a lot more than nestalgia did
Aight, so in the history of Byond since its creation, only two games made over 100 bands?
In response to BlackProgrammer
Possibly. I would say though that even when the community wasn't as dead as it is now, most of the talented developers only really made games for fun and weren't really in it to make sellable products.

The ambition to create professional-quality indie games feels relatively new, in the history of BYOND, I guess.
In response to GatewayRa
GatewayRa wrote:
wrong... dragon ball heroes united made a lot more than nestalgia did

No, it didn't. It never did, and this is a common (And fairly ridiculous) misconception.
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
That's the plan for majority of the games created by anybody though. But still, it would be nice for Byond's reputation if more than two games made 100 bands.

There's nothing wrong with making a really fun game that you can get a really good income from.

I'm not saying this as a way of disrespecting all the developers for Byond. I'm just saying it cause if you really think about it, Byond is not that terrible of an Engine, so its weird for just 2 games to make 100 bands.
In response to BlackProgrammer
BlackProgrammer wrote:
That's the plan for majority of the games created by anybody though. But still, it would be nice for Byond's reputation if more than two games made 100 bands.

There's nothing wrong with making a really fun game that you can get a really good income from.

Not to sound rude but, "If it's so easy, you do it" is very applicable here. Programming isn't particularly difficult to me, but pixel art is. So in order to make a game that's worth selling, I'll have to pay for a pixel artist, who usually want more than their weight in gold. As a hobbyist, that doesn't fit my style. I'm fairly sure this is the case for 90% of this community. People want to make games, most people might even have amazing ideas, but actually doing it is a completely different beast all together.

The few "One-Man-Bands" on this site (Yut Put, for example), are usually the most success for exactly this reason.

I'm not saying this as a way of disrespecting all the developers for Byond. I'm just saying it cause if you really think about it, Byond is not that terrible of an Engine, so its weird for just 2 games to make 100 bands.

I wouldn't say it's a terrible engine, but it's not exactly well equipped enough to be making serious amounts of money, such as "100 bands".
In response to Rushnut
Rushnut wrote:
I wouldn't say it's a terrible engine, but it's not exactly well equipped enough to be making serious amounts of money, such as "100 bands".

I think it's perfectly equipped for it actually. I've been preaching this for a few years: if you take a close look at a couple indie games, like say Hyper Light Drifter, you should notice that BYOND is currently completely capable of every fine detail you may be able to find in gameplay videos of these games. A couple other games that this applies to that I can list off of the top of my head: Secrets of Grindea, Darkest Dungeon, Xenonauts, FTL, Hammerwatch, The Binding of Isaac, Super Meat Boy, Prison Architect, Gratuitous Space Battles. I have a lot of difficulty in being able to name any feature of any of these games that would be impossible to accomplish in BYOND, and I have a lot of confidence that each of these games have made at least "100 bands" in revenue throughout their lifetimes.

I think the difference is mostly just the community's culture rather than the strength of the tool.
In response to Rushnut
I never said making 100 bands from a game was easy. Just saying that after all the years after Byond's creation, there should be more than two games that made that much using an Engine like this.
The culprit is most likely due to the fact that a large percentage of BYOND's population are anime fans, and although some do illegally obtain money from their fan games, others don't. I'm sure that one other DBZ game whose owner donated like 3 or 7 grands(not sure which of the two), but had it rejected by Tom for obvious reasons, made somewhere near that 100k mark. Bleach by VcentG most likely well exceeded that over it's decade long life span. I mean, I saw people spending thousands every couple of weeks
I don't want to get into the specific numbers, but Eternia's player base has an impressive subscription rate: http://puu.sh/l90Vf/6565163811.png (Usually at 70% or more are subscribers)

With an active community of 80-100 at peaks, I'd say we're one of the more financially success games within BYOND. I wouldn't be turned away from making a BYOND game just because there isn't a good number of profit generating games, though, if that's what you're suggesting. It'll depend entirely on your game.
I'm not saying you can't make good money from a Byond game. I'm saying that there should be a couple of Byond games making atleast 100 bands cause the Engine is capable of it
Page: 1 2