In response to Fat Albert
Fat Albert wrote:
In my opinion all there is needed is better games.

Yep. When a prospective new developer looks at the engine, sure he might go over the list of features and such, but more importantly he (or she) will go over the games that were made in the engine. If you look at the Unity3d and Game Maker websites, they both prominently feature a showcase or a "made with this engine" gallery of games that are varied and all look very professional and polished.

BYOND is notorious in the game development community at large for being incapable of making good games. NOTORIOUS. Hell, a lot of us in our small community have internalized the same sentiment. I've received, countless times, the comment "wow that doesn't look like it was made in BYOND"

We need to change this by making good games. When we demonstrate that good and pretty games can be made in the engine, good developers will come and the community will flourish.
In response to Mr_Goober
Mr_Goober wrote:
BYOND has matured. It's learning to adapt to its new atmosphere of HTML5, and I have faith that it will catch the eye of a new generation of developers soon.

...I don't know if this part is a joke or not. Community-wise, it's dying(95% of the playerbase is filled with angry kids and trolls, and only 5% of the playerbase is friendly, one reason "casual gamers" tend to stay away from it). Not trying to offend anyone here, since I can easily include myself in the 95%.

And for the "new generation of developers", yeah...no. The coding is limited now at days for developers to get "attracted" to it, and like another user said, they want to be paid instead of using their time and get nothing in return. There's just too many better options to use to develop a game than BYOND.

Eternal_Memories wrote:
Of course better games could help, but have you seen any new good game this last year?

RIPs don't help the community, by the way. I don't want to "bash" your game (and I shouldn't, since I don't really know how to make one myself), but not too long ago, I saw another post where you complained about "lack of creativity", so I wanted to say, it was kinda hypocrite of you to say that (again, I'm not trying to make you angry or anything, but it bugs me, and I'm sorry if I got off-topic here).
Couldn't you guys ever necropost on threads that aren't compete cancer? I swear all of you take this community way too seriously and just get off on the doom and gloom shit.
The community may seem dead, but its really doing alright. And not to mention, the engine is seeing new horizons which we can utilize to relight the flame of desire in the eyes of developers.

Really, if you feel like BYOND is dying that's definitely your opinion. Personally, I'd like to see BYOND grow beyond (heh) what everyone thinks it's capable of. I feel like we should probably invest some time & thought into some new advertising or publicity, but really just talking in a discussion about whether or not the software is dead isn't gonna do anything.
In response to Lugia319
I think Lugia has a point in regards to marketing. It seems to me, based on the numerous topics about BYOND dying that the majority think it's up to the players to market their games better to attract people to BYOND. That could help however I think that ultimately it's Lummox's job to market BYOND, and would bring plenty of people if done right.
In response to RoxasX-San
RoxasX-San wrote:
I think Lugia has a point in regards to marketing. It seems to me, based on the numerous topics about BYOND dying that the majority think it's up to the players to market their games better to attract people to BYOND. That could help however I think that ultimately it's Lummox's job to market BYOND, and would bring plenty of people if done right.

LOL
In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:
Couldn't you guys ever necropost on threads that aren't compete cancer?

Unless I'm wrong, "necroposting" is the act of posting in threads that are old. This thread is less than a month (I made sure to check before posting). So please, don't use terms that are wrong (unless I'm mistaken here, in which case I ask you to forgive me).

Konlet wrote:
Really, if you feel like BYOND is dying that's definitely your opinion.

No opinion exists without a reason. If someone feels BYOND is dying, it's because he/she has facts to prove it, for example, low playerbase/less active games (unless we are talking about trolls, in which case we should move on).

Personally, I'd like to see BYOND grow beyond what everyone thinks it's capable of.

Well, but that's a wish, not a fact. It's the same as saying "I'd like to live in a castle even if people say it's impossible". You can't really expect it to survive because you want it to.

advertising or publicity.

I agree with this point. Also, I'd like to point out that adding more restrictions to those who aren't subscribers isn't clearly helping at all (I still want to find out whose idea was to make us suffer an advertisement of 4 minutes to get into a game just to make us pay for membership). Yeah, you need money, I get it. But you also need a playerbase to survive, too (of course, those who pay should still get the benefits of paying, but you also need to look after those who don't pay, too, instead of adding more restrictions that turn off many players).
Over the past ten years, these kinds of threads tend to appear every couple of months or so. The website traffic in the past two years has been fairly consistent, with an overall increase from 2014 to 2015, so we're probably fine there.

As for games in active development, I'm fairly confident that my project will be popular inside and outside of BYOND. I'm personally looking forward to the point where the webclient performs as well as DS, when we can upload games to different portals and throw them up onto Facebook, etc etc. I think the exposure is definitely going to increase the website's traffic, bring in new users, and generate more income for the engine to work with.
In response to Pixel Realms
Your game could've been released if you weren't relying on webclient, something several other platforms already support quite well.
Page: 1 2