ID:1978360

(See the best response by MrStonedOne.)
So I have been using peerblocker for many years mostly to block ad services and what not but I noticed something today I setup peerblocker to allow all incoming connections on port 3000 yet. I had someone attempting to join that couldnt get into the game and sure enough it got blocked on peerblocker but heres whats so odd about it even though the games hosting on port 3000 and peerblocker is setup to allow all incoming and outgoing on port 3000 the connection was trying to connect via port 11744 so can someone please explain to me why seeker attempts to connect via port 11744 and its destination port ends up being 54752 when the games hosted on port 3000. o.O
Best response
Alright, so this may not be what's happening in your case, but I wanted to clear some things up in relation to ports.

All network connections have two ports, the local port, and the remote port.

When you open a connection to say somesite.com:3000 your computer picks a random non-inuse port number as the local port for the connection(lets say 39187), and then has that port open a connection to the remote computer for port 3000.

On the server side, it sees 3000 as the local port, and 39187 as the remote port.

So one thing to look at in peerblock's logs, is that you aren't confusing the two port types.

That being said, most likely what is going on, is the player may be messing up the format for the url, or he may have a virus or shitty isp that is messing with the outgoing ports of things.