ID:1978534

(See the best response by Lummox JR.)
I'm starting to consider hosting and I think it could be useful to know what types of bans I can give people.
Best response
Generally the bans you can do as a BYOND host are by account name, by IP address (or range), or a sticky version of either of those. A sticky ban uses some additional info and also takes advantage of our hub to find connections between users.
What do you mean "Range"?
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Generally the bans you can do as a BYOND host are by account name, by IP address (or range), or a sticky version of either of those. A sticky ban uses some additional info and also takes advantage of our hub to find connections between users.

Also can you tell me more about Sticky?
An IP range can handle a whole subnet, like for instance if a person's IP address kept bouncing around a specific range like 1.2.3.45, 1.2.3.191, etc., then you could ban 1.2.3.* and it would catch all of them.

Sticky bans will look for connections between users and ensnare alternate accounts into the ban. It is possible to get a false positive, although the chances of that are much reduced now; and it is possible to get a false negative, where it will miss connections. On the whole though, sticky bans have tended to prove really effective.
In response to Lummox JR
What is false negative and positive?
In response to OstentatiousAether
OstentatiousAether wrote:
What is false negative and positive?

Beyond the scope of this discussion. Also, contextually clear and easily Googled.
In response to Lummox JR
Oops, that was just me misreading your text block.

Are you by chance a programmer or a spriter?
I'd have a lot of difficulty developing the engine if I wasn't a programmer. :)

I'm not much of a sprite artist, though.
In response to Lummox JR
Do you know of any program that copies a set of sprites from a DMI animation and pastes it on top of another animation set?

I'm trying to copy hairs from 4 way directional DMI to a base that lines up perfectly with hairs, I'm trying to avoid copying the hairs individually and pasting them on to each base in the animation...
Probably the easiest way to do it is simply to build yourself a quick project with a verb that takes the two icons, composites them, and sends you the result via ftp().
In response to Lummox JR
Honestley, I don't know how to script a line of code...