ID:1981025

Hello dream makers of Byond! I am still hanging around Byond.Still have not published or created any complete games, but I am still attempting to learn different things.When you are away from Byond, do use something else? if so what and why.

For me I picked up Game Maker by yoyogames and started doing tutorials for awhile. There are a lot of tutorials for Game Maker. I was thinking of learning c++ and then trying out Unity also.
I like to write neat little page effects in JavaScript, and I use C++ to create small helpful programs for myself.
As a graduate student, I program plenty for classes and research.
DM is like programming in a body cast. But C++ is like programming naked... Good times. It's nice to feel the breeze occasionally.
I rarely program for leisure/pleasure anymore, which is mostly why I started using DM again. In the past year, most of what I've done has either been in Javascript or Mathematica. Javascript because it's not too difficult to use, pretty fast, and I can get things set up quickly on, say, JSFiddle if I want to set up test code to check things; Mathematica because obnoxious quirks aside, it's a pretty good computer algebra system. Plus, without something like that working on some of the stuff for my undergrad research would be a huge pain in the ass.
In response to Kats
Kats wrote:
DM is like programming in a body cast. But C++ is like programming naked... Good times. It's nice to feel the breeze occasionally.

This.

My programming is hobbyist. If I ever wanted to do it for solid actual reasons like money, I'd probably use something else, but for raw speed, I can get things done in DM in hours which could take days outside of it. That's the wonderful part of DM.
I program in Scratch. It's like programming, except it comes with a cat and color blocks you stick together to make the cat do stuff. It gives you complete and total control over cats, unlike other languages. My only issue with the language is that I cannot also control frogs unless I import my own frogs. I feel it should come pre-packaged with frogs so that I do not have to do this. There's just so much focus on cats nowadays that frogs have been forgotten. This is unfair. Frogs deserve the same amount of reverence that cats do if not more. This is why I have dedicated myself to research. I signed a document last week that says when I die, they can extract my DNA and implant it into a frog to see what happens. Hopefully this will reincarnate me as a frog man and I will show the world why frogs matter.

Thank you.
Yut Put wrote:
i used to use scratch. it was right after i found DM in 08 and helped me learn a lot of basic programming things that i could carry over into dm