ID:1981793

BYOND Version:509.1313
Operating System:Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 41.0
Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
This issue has been around for as long as I remember, but I'd like to see it fixed. Once in a while an error will appear in the IDE when displaying folders.

It looks like this:

It doesn't happen very often, and closing the editor and reopening normally fixes it. Regardless, this shouldn't happen and should still be fixed. I'm sure plenty of others have experienced this too. It's more common in projects with lots of folders.
I can definetly confirm this, but I have no idea how to replicate it.
Clicking the "file" just opens the folder it's in I think, maybe it's seeing . as a valid folder sometimes?
Please follow the proper bug report template. Having to scan over an image trying to guess what you're talking about is less than ideal.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Please follow the proper bug report template. Having to scan over an image trying to guess what you're talking about is less than ideal.

Also on that subject, the version number field is incorrect.
Fixed the version number field.

I didn't use the bug report template because this bug report is extremely straight forward. There is only one thing in that image that looks wrong.

A picture is worth a thousand words.
Not if you don't say what you're trying to show with it, the fact that there's only one thing that looks wrong means it's going to be a lot harder to actually pinpoint it. The template exists for a reason.
I did say what I was trying to show with it.

"Once in a while an error will appear in the IDE when displaying folders."

Look down at all the folders. You can't miss the ONE thing that's out of place. Not only that, but it's also selected.

Please quick nit picking. No one else showed any form of confusion. I'm not filling out a big form filled with redundant information for something so obvious. Especially when everyone else understands what I'm trying to say.

All this extra time and text explaining myself could have been better spent elsewhere.
In response to Lavenblade
It could have been spent actually filling out the form instead of bitching about it. Now whose wasting time?
In response to MisterPerson
MisterPerson wrote:
It could have been spent actually filling out the form instead of bitching about it. Now whose wasting time?

Fair enough.
Here is the thing,

It is your project, you know what it is suppose to look like, you know what folders exist, what files exist, and you have even seen it so many times that an icon changing or a folder showing as a file is immediately apparent because it's changed from your memory.

None of us have that.

If you had stated what exactly was displaying incorrectly, what it was suppose to display as, etc. We would know what you are talking about.

Right now, I still don't 100% know what this bug report is about, I can only guess that it might be that the male item is suppose to be either a dm/dmi/dmm file or a folder.

When communicating with people in general, it is always best to consider what contextual advantages you have that other people might not.
i think hes talking about the file named "Male" randomly appearing when it doesnt exist as a file. he has both a folder and a file named "Male", so i think its confusing it sometimes as a file instead of a directory?

ive experienced something like it but i cant recall what exactly happened
Yes, that random ghost file is what the report is about.
Problem is I need to know what circumstances it happens in, so I can reproduce it.
Basically, it's a duplicate of the Male folder but it doesn't show a folder icon. Also, when you double click it, it opens up the male folder in file explorer.

The problem with reproducing it is that it's almost seemingly random. I've tried clicking into different folders/dmi/dm files and closing the environment, then reopening- It doesn't always reproduce. In fact, I'd say that more often than not it doesn't happen.

If anyone else that's seen this issue has anymore insight, that would be extremely helpful.
Is it a symlink or similar?
In response to Somepotato
Somepotato wrote:
Is it a symlink or similar?
Hm, I suppose it could be? When double clicking on folders in the editor, it doesn't open up the directory. However, when clicking on the random duplicate without an icon, it does.
Strangely I've never encountered this, and I use plenty of folders.
I've encountered this before, something along the lines of a deleted folder not removing itself from the object tree, if I recall correctly.

However if double clicking it takes you to the folder, maybe it's a shortcut?
Hmm, the folder was never deleted though.

If I see it happen again I will try and figure out what I did just before. The problem is, is that it happens when first opening the ide. Chances are I wont recall exactly what I did since I last closed it.