ID:1982236

So I'm trying to find a way to get my game to preload specific resources so I've been looking at preload_rsc. It doesn't seem to do exactly what I want.

preload_rsc seems to only be able to either not load anything, load all compiled resources, load all compiled and dynamic resources, or load resources from a remote location.

I want to preload essentially 6 .dmi files and then let the players load the other resources as they need them.

The reason for it is because I have a few rather large animatations that need to play on certain actions. It breaks the visual if they have to download them when they first appear.
I think what you want is browse_rsc():

var global/list/preload_resources = list(
'some_resource.dmi',
'another_resource.dmi',
)

client
New()
..()
// have the client download these resources upon connection
for(var/resource in preload_resources)
src << browse_rsc(resource)
Thanks. I'll give it a try.
So browse_rsc seems to store the files in the user's cache as raw .dmi files. That's not really something I'd like to do.

The references for preload_rsc says you can create a rsc file for just specific files and load that from the server and load everything else from the host. How exactly can you create a rsc file with just specific files? Cause that would probably work for me.
In response to IceFire2050
Instead of putting the .rsc file in the .zip, you can also put the individual resource files there.

I take it you're referring to that. If so, you can zip up the files you want downloaded, upload it to a valid filehost (I believe Dropbox works, but you could also try Mediafire), and point preload_rsc to the zip download.
I tried it out and it seems to work like I want.

It downloads the file while the login ad is playing. Then downloads any remaining files from the host as needed.

Im just a bit concerned about security. It wouldn't be the end of the world but I'd prefer to not have a direct download link to half the icons in my game floating around.

Is there a way to have byond read a passworded zip file through preload_rsc?
Though I've never tried it, I'm fairly sure that's not something you can do.
I might be mistaken but I thought it was possible to make a project which includes the icons you want to preload, define them as the same types as they were in your game, build that rsc, and then preload_rsc, that rsc file instead of the direct icon files and it should work.